my rabbit died and I dont know why

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muchloveforbunny

Reaction score
hi there. im new. i just found this board. i hope you dont mind this big post right away...

I got my rabbit, a Netherland Dwarf,4 years ago from a 4-Hwoman at a fair and took care of her for that time. The4-Hwoman said my rabbit was about 2 years old. SO my rabbitwas 6 years old.

Yesterday, I put my rabbit to sleep at the suggestion of thevet.My rabbitwas declining very fast. Overnight shegot very sick. I noticed this yesterday. She often got colds, but notlike this.

The vet also told me that rabbits live to be 7 to 10 years, but myrabbit was 6. I don't know what that is supposed to mean.Thenshe said the rabbit had been dying for awhile.

The vet said she had pneumonia. And she might even have neurologicalproblems that are causing intestinal and lung problems. Or maybe therewas a bacteria involved. Maybe she had cancer. But ifI kepttherabbit alive anymore, my rabbit would start to seize. Butultimately she left it up to me. But she did say it was pretty definiteshe would die by morning on her own.

Do some rabbits die at 6 years old? Is that too young? DidIdo something wrong?I don't know what happened.Idon't know what I did. I'm heartbroken.I just feel like howcould I have not known. How did I not see this happening?

I'm also feeling guiltyI put my rabbit down. I put her downbecause, one time I paid more than 1500 for my cat. My cat got so sickthat one of her eyeballs started to pop out. It was a nightmareseeingmy cats eyeball popping out of her head.Itwas a waste ofmoneyANDI caused her painbecauseI just wanted her to live so much. I made her eyeballpop out.

So because of that,I tried to remain even-headed and listento what the vet was telling me. But now it is absolutely killing meinside that I put my rabbit down. I am dealing with so much guilt rightnow about her early death and putting her to sleep.I keepwondering if maybeI shouldn't have listened tothevet.I really miss her.

:(

It is not your fault. You have totrust what the vet said because they would not have advised you to havethe bunny put to sleep if it wasn't the best thing. It soundslike she was really sick and nothing could have been done.

I don't think 6 is an exceptionally early death, some rabbitslive to 10 but I know of others been well cared for that have passedaway naturally at around 6 or 7. Also since you didn't have her from ababy it is possible she was older than you thought anyway.People will often say an animal is younger than it is if they want tofind it a home.

I am sorry that you lost her and I know how sad it is when they have toleave us, but there was nothing you could havedone. It wouldn't have been fair to let her suffer anylonger. She's at rainbow bridge now and she'll be fine thereuntil you meet again.

(((muchloveforbunny)))

It sounds like you did the very best you could for your rabbit.Sometimes we can drive ourselves crazy with the 'what if's' aftermaking such a decision, but know that what you did was out of love foryour bunny. It sounds as if she had a wonderful six years with you,which is a relatively good age for a rabbit. The rabbit is a verydelicate creature, and when disease strikes they can sometimes godownhill very quickly. You gave her the kindest gift by not allowingher to suffer.

I once ran into a man in my local park who wanted to stop and say helloto my dog. In the midst of conversation with him he began to tell meabout his own dog, who he'd put to sleep the day before.Heasked me if I thought he'd made the right decision, and suddenly he wascrying...tears running down his face, and I could see the torture hewas putting himself through. It is so common for an animal lover to dothis to themselves, wishing they could have done more, wondering iftheir pet would have lived on for a few more days/weeks/months...yet inthe end, what that person has done is to give their pet the most lovingof gifts...allowing them the grace and dignity to cross over easily,and to not suffer.

What you did for your bunny was so loving...I am sure she is watchingover you now, silently thanking you for giving her such a wonderfullife, filled with love and joy. I am so sorry for your pain over herloss, yet that pain is a reflection of the immensity of your love forher...and hers for you. Bless you for the decision you made,foras difficult as it was for you, youdid what wasbest for her.

There is never goodbye...it is only, 'till we meet again'...

I'm so sorry for the loss of your rabbit. Ingeneral, purebred rabbits have shorter live spans than mixed breedrabbits, and may only live an average of 6 years due to intensiveinbreeding.

It sounds like you did everything right, but as your rabbit aged, it became more susceptible to disease.

Pam

http://www.geocities.com/pamnock/

I am so sorry about the loss of your bunny. Ilost my bunny 6 years ago at the age of 3 due to illness as well. Iunderstand the guilt you feel. It was only until recently, when I gotmy next bunny, Trix, that my vet told me there wasn't much I could havedone differently. Rabbits are so delicate and sometimes, like people,they just get sick and there's nothing you can do. You loved your bunnywith all your heart and that is the best kind of love! Don't feel bad,your bunny knows how you feel and is watching you from above and willbe there for you when you meet again.

<hugs>

Denise (and Trixie the bunny)

Bassetluv, that is quite a story! Wow!

I guess I feel bad because with my cat I knew she needed to be put downbecause her eye. With the rabbit, everything was going on internally.All I saw was her lethargy, falling over, the congestion, and maybethat she lost some weight. I kept thinking, 'What if she gets better?She has had colds before and got better.' The only times Ibelievedthis was different and that she wasdyingwas when the rabbit laylimp.Also,she wasn't responding to me. And at times she was stiff andIthought she was dead. She just wasn't the same.

You guys are right. I should trust the vet. The vet told me shewouldn't make it past morning regardless. And I should trust everythingthat happened. It was her time.

Thank you for all of your kind-hearted responses. They mean a lot to me.

I'm not getting a lot of support, because no one I know really knowsrabbits. In fact, I haven't even mentioned it to anyone,becauseI don't think anyone would understand.

Also, my husband does not believe in euthanasia apparently, so I am notgetting any support from him regarding this. He never had pets beforehis entire life and, as much asI love myhubby,heis kind of in denial. I kept telling myhusband she was sick and to please say goodbye. But he denied she wassick, even though she looked so changed.

Well thank youagain for all your kind words and thoughts.

I'm gladI found this board. I love looking at all of your beautiful rabbits and hearing what you guys have to say.

Thanks again.

you did the right thing by your baby even thoughit must have been hard for you to do,she is now free from her healthproblems,i just dont know what i would do if i ever had to make thatchoice,i think i would break down and cry in the vets surgery,as a petowner i think that is the most hardest choice we have to makeconcerning our pets,but we all understand the pain when we lose ourbeloved pets,we just dont want to see them go,there is so muchheartache when they leave:(

im so sorry for you losing your sweet baby

cheryl

Latest posts

Back