My new bunny passed on...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not an expert, but there are many people herewho can give you an idea of what may have happened. It sounds as if itwas a respitory infection. He might have picked up an illness beforeyou even brought him home from the store.

My heart goes out to you and your family. Al was a beautiful littleguy, and from your description very sweet. At least he was able toenjoy your love and to pass away in his favorite spot. It's easy tofall in love with an animal companion in a day. Ten days is no shorttime when it comes to a pet. I hope that someday you'll find anotherrabbit to love. You seem like a very caring person.

I am so sorry you lost your beautiful littlebunny. Without a necropsy, we can only guess, but many youngbunnies can succumb to Pasteurella after being subjected to stressfactors including being weaned young, diet change, pet storeenvironment, going to new home, handling and temperature changes.

Other pathogens can include Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Strep, Staph,Bordatella and other bacterial infections. Parasites can alsolower bunnies resistance to disease.

Most pet store bunnies are too young to be subjected to the abovestress factors, and many are in fact under legal sale age.Studies have indicated that the younger the bunny is when sold, thehigher the fatality rate is.

Shame on pet stores for insisiting on selling such young bunnies and shame on breeders for filling those orders :X

Pam

Oh Scoob8000,

I'm so sorry! I had that same experience with my 2nd rabbit and tilthis day, I miss him as much as I miss my cat of 14 years. Once youdecide to bring the pet home, you fall completely in love with it andit matters little if you had it for 10 days or 10 years. The little oneis a part of your life and quickly jumps into your heart.

I'm so sorry for your pain.

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers tonight.

Penacrent,

The dust from cat litter when poured into a pan is bad for rabbits ifinhaled. Cat litter is okay if you don't use it in litterboxes, but injust wire-bottom cages. You do have to take precautions though by goinginto the next room when you pour the litter into the drop pan of a cageso that there's no chance of the rabbit inhaling it, and you can't useit in litter because it gets stuck between the rabbit's paws and whenthey clean themselves they ingest it causing serious health problems.

-Carolyn

oh no!

i cant believe i didnt even think about it when juswt put mykitty stuff in! i feel stupid! and :Xgrumpy at myself! shehas a small box thats about her size and i keep cat litter in it. atleast ive been pouring it away from her.

should i take it out right now? im going to, but i dont have anything else. hmmmmm....

:Xgrrr me for not looking harder at these things :(

i have to go apologize to angie now.

I was actually informed that by a pet store owner. (Not where we got Al, this one only sells supplies).

She suggested Critter Litter. They look like little tinypearls, but absorb a lot.. Seems to of worked really well.

Thank everyone for the kind words and thoughts.

I don't know if and how soon we'll be ready for another bunny, but whenwe are.. Is there anyway to tell how old they might be?

-scoob8000

penacrent,

Take out the cat litter from the litterbox right away and put down newspaper until you can get something else.

Scoob8000,

It's hard to tell a rabbit's exact age if you're unaware of it's history. An expert can give you a rough idea by the teeth.

I completely understand your reluctance to get another at this time. It breaks your heart when they pass on.

You might look at the "Rabbit References" post and in there, there is awebsite you should read about the Rainbow Bridge. I think I referencedit as Pet Loss and Grief. You'll see
rainbowbridge.com in the website address.

-Carolyn

The teeth of rabbits don't giveasaccurateindication of age as they do in an animal such asahorse.Olderrabbits may also have some discoloration and irregularities to thesurface of the tooth, where a younger rabbit willhavethinner, smoother, whiter teeth.The front teeth ofan older rabbit will also be thicker. The root of the toothwill also extend farther down the tooth as the rabbit ages.Older rabbits will also have a thickertoenail.

The age of a cottontail up to 14 weeks can be determined by measuringthe length of the rabbit's hind foot and ear (due to the differentdomestic breed sizes, it wouldn't be an accurate way for us todetermine a pet rabbit's age). Older rabbits also have adenser eye lens.

Our best indication of age in very young domestic rabbits is simply theobservation of their size based on the knowledge of that particularbreed. Also, bunnies normally have their "baby coat" up to 12weeks of age. Prime condition and fur is reached at about 7-8months. By 2 years, a loss of overall conditionindicates an aging rabbit as opposed to one in it's prime.

Pam

Thank you all again.

I do have two more quick questions that my girlfriend brought up..

Am I correct in saying that a human with a cold, cannot get a bunny sick.

And secondly, just as a precaution should we throw away all rabbit foodstuffs instead of donating them to a shelter? I don't want totake a chance of getting another critter sick.

Thanks again

-scoob8000

Rabbits are not known to contract the rhinoviruses that produce cold symptoms in humans, although other pathogenscan be transmitted. You bunny either contracted a bacteriafrom another bunny at the store or from it's mother. Manyrabbits test positive for pathogens that can cause cold symptoms inrabbits, but are asymptomatic until exposed to stress factors.

To be on the safe side, I would throw opened foods and treatsaway. Other items that you wish to keep can be washed withbleach and set in the sun to dry.

Pam

Oh no. :( I've beenthere. Losing my bunny was one of the hardest things I'veever been through. Hang in there.

I am really sorry to hear about your loss. I wish you the best of luck, Darlenenicole

Latest posts

Back