My Mixed Breed (Holland Lop & Netherland Dwarf Rabbit)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbgumapple

Reaction score
Hello, I am a first time rabbit owner and I have a 3-4 weeks old baby rabbit named samantha.

Recently I realised that the top of her hind legs have red, dry and swollen sore/bump(?), not too sure how to describe it. She is still running normally and jumping around as usual and when I touch the spot, she does not flinch away or run away.

Could anyone kindly advise should I be extremely worried as this is one of the signs to certain diseases.

Please help :C

Attachments

• bunny 1.jpg
    bunny 1.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 0
  • bunny 2.jpg
    bunny 2.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 0
It's hard to tell from the photo. If it doesn't spread but is just that one spot and the fur starts to regrow, it could have just rubbed off on something or the fur got ripped out somehow. But if it doesn't get better and/or starts to spread to other parts of the skin, it is likely fungal dermatitis or possibly mange mites.

Medirabbit: fungal dermatitis

Medirabbit: mange mites

If you need to have your bunny checked by a rabbit vet, you may be able to find one here:

HRSS Recommended Rabbit Savvy Vets in Singapore

And just to add since you're a first time rabbit owner. If you aren't aware, it's generally not a good idea to separate baby rabbits from the mother rabbit until they are at least 8 weeks old. The reason being is that they don't have a fully developed digestive system, and weaning them prematurely can make them more prone to developing serious digestive illness. Also the stress of weaning and going to a new home can further contribute to illness developing.

If you don't have this new baby rabbit still with it's mom, but it's been weaned at 3-4 weeks, this will make it more at risk of possibly getting sick. So it's very important to keep the stress minimized for the bunny. As well as a very strict diet where no new foods are introduced until the bunny is at least 8-12 weeks old, no sudden diet changes, no high sugar/high carb foods, and feeding lots of good quality hay. It's important to cause as little digestive change as possible until the bunny is older and can handle new foods better. Even then, it's important to always introduce new foods into the diet gradually, with the exception of grass hay which is almost always well tolerated when immediately introduced into a rabbits diet.

Diet for young/baby rabbits

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/feeding.html

Back