My Dopeys and a bald patch

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flashy

Reaction score
One of my Dopeys (call it Dopey 1) hd a reaction to the VHD jab that resulted in a bald patch.

The other Dopey(call it Dopey 2) groomed it to start with, but has recently started to chew it and dopey 1 is getting a bigger sore each day. The vet gave me Fuciderm which we are using and has helped the rest of the patch because that is now growing hair. We have tried distracting the Dopeys, putting something else different on Dopey 1 to draw Dopey 2s attention to there, but then I saw Dopey 2 chewing it even when there was no new cream on it, so it's not the cream that attracts it.

We separated the Dopeys today. They went in the two parts of the large run that we divided into two, so they could see and smell each other.

These Dopeys are not strictly mine. Allegedly they are my brothers (not that he has anything to do with them). He doesn't want to make a decision, I don't want the responsibility because if it goes wrong he will rightly blame me.

I want to separate them for a few days to heal the sore, but I'm worried that they will not rebond. They are not spayed (don't have a go at me, they are not my buns, I can't make that decision, that's not my place) so both are territorial, but get on famously together. They love each other and I don't want two more loner buns.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I could do other than separate them?

I considered bandages, or a tubi grip, or sock, but Dopey 2 would chew those. I thought about getting a coat type thing, but can't find one. I'm lost and I want to cry. Help?

Thanks for the reply Crystal :)

It's solved now. My mum made the right decision to temporarily split them up.

It was my fault my brothers last rabbit died. I couldn't have anything else on my conscience, so whilst I do all the caring for the Dopeys, I passed the buck (or 'doe') on this one, but got the right result :)

Why are you blaming yourself for the death of your brother's other rabbit? You sound so caring that any error you may have made would only have been out of love for the bunny. Please don't keep giving yourself a hard time about it. It doesn't sound like your brother cares much for pets anyway, so fostering for him is the only way to help, and if he doesn't like your decisions, he can always look after them himself...

Because Oz (my brothers pervious bunny) died in labour after I had pushed to get her mated up. She couldn't cope with it.

As for my brother and his buns, that is true. He is far more interested in his computer games, etc, but all the buns get good care, so it's ok. He's also very young for his age. He reckons that he is 'only 16' so not old enough to take responsibility for them. Sort of shut him up when I told him he could legally have a kid, lol. It's not a big problem though. The Dopeys are now separated which is allowing the sore to heal nicely. Just a few more days and they should be back together.

I think you and your mom did the right thing. Its good if they are in a place where they can still smell and see eachother, hopefully they will rebond.

Mr. Tumnus got a little carried away this past spring and was grooming his girlfriend, Lucy, way too much. She developed bald spots around her eyes that started to develop sores from him constantly licking and somewhat biting that area. I split them up for a few weeks. I let them see eachother (their pens were attached) and they had communal run time when I knew they were busy doing other things.

Are these two girls? I would say maybe let them play together every once in a while when youre sitting right there. Split them up if one starts to groom the other on that spot. This will help keep them bonded.

Keep us posted!

Latest posts

Back