My cousin's house burned down...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So glad to hear that everyone made it out unharmed. That is the most important part. Everything else can be replaced.

My heart goes out to your family and you in this trying time.

Sharon

That's very scary. I worry about my house every time I leave it. I worry about fire/burglary, and how Peter and Bugs would survive. It makes me want to take them into work with me at night! Seriously, I get anxious about leaving my house for 8 hours. I have a burglar alarm, and that I trust, but fire is much more difficult to handle.

Did they have smoke detectors in the bedrooms, or just in the hallways? That's weird that they didn't go off.

I'm glad to hear they got out and are okay. I also interpreted the title of the thread as the house literally burning down with them inside of it.

Getting together pictures for your cousin is a great idea! I'm sure they'd really appreciate it.

They had a small home, and the bedroom doors all opened into the same area in the hallway. The smoke detector was in the middle of the hallway end (where the rooms are). My cousin's room and their daughter's was open, but Robbie's was shut because he is older, and wants it that way. Since the fire started on the outside of the house, it burned through the outer layer, then the smoke went up into the attic from the space between the inner/outer wall layers..

I think it's the law here to have a smoke detector in every room, or at least in every bedroom.

I was also always taught to keep bedroom doors shut to prevent the spread of fire (for example, if there's a fire in the hallway, the door keeps it from spreading right into my room for some period of time.)

My apartment only had one smoke detector, in the hallway next to the second bedroom. My house has two, one right outside the master bedroom (and sort of outside one side of the kitchen), and another in the hallway outside the other two bedrooms.

I think this is an unfortunate reminder to all of us to make sure there are enough smoke detectors, even if local laws don't require more than one.

That's the second house fire my "family" has had. This cousin is actually related to me, but the other fire was at my "Aunt's" house. She's my sister's aunt, but since my sisters and I don't have the same mom, I'm not really related to them. :p Their house burned down about 5+ years ago. I don't remember the details, though. I remember that they lost most things, but their pictures weren't burned. They did lose their dog, though. :( I don't talk to them anymore, so I don't know how they are faring since then...

kherrmann3 wrote:
That's the second house fire my "family" has had.
I am sorry to hear this. I didn't follow the whole thread, how did the fire start?

BethM wrote:
this is a reminder to all of us to make sure there are enough smoke detectors
I have one on every level of the house, but now I want to put some in the bedrooms as we sleep with our doors closed.I also have an escape ladder that we can hang out the bedroom window.We have fire extinguishers, and carbon dioxide detectors in the house too.

I'm sorry to hear about the fire, I'm glad everyone made it out ok.

I have three smoke alarms in my house, and they are connected to each other, so if the downstairs one goes off, then the ones upstairs go off too. Making sure that if it happens in my home I should know about it.

Latest posts

Back