My bunny prefers his small cage to the ex-pen!?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gelly

Gelly
Reaction score
Originally when we got our bunny, we knew little about rabbits. He was a surprise birthday present so I hadn't really prepped. We bought him a 2 and a half by 1 and half foot cage with a ramp up to a little loft area before we knew rabbits actually need way more space. Once I learned, I attached an ex-pen to his cage so he'd have a couple more feet to run around in. I lined it with fleece and put chew toys in and a nice big litter box with plenty of water. However, for the next week after that, he just seemed super agitated at us. He was thumping more often, not binkying, and most importantly biting and pushing on the ex pen non-stop.

We removed the ex-pen 2 weeks later when we realized he wasn't letting up. Now, he's a new bunny. He binkies like he used to and just seems to be in such a better mood. He has run of the living room when we're home but when I'm out for class, he stays in the cage. I hate keeping him in there but he just seems to really really enjoy it.

Am I wrong for housing him in the small space when we're not home?

PS - he's a (as of October 31st) neutered male mini rex who's about 5 months old.
PPS - this question is NOT meant to shame anyone who houses their bunnies in small spaces or cages. I have no intention of that at all.

Bunny aren’t that active during the day. As long he gets out when you are home it’s no problem.

Myself have observer my bunnies they often sleep in the middle of the day and just eat. Not that much active, even though they can be out in the run, they are often in the hutch :3

When they start to play and jump around it’s on the evening, middle of the night and early morning :3

I suspect the pen chewing was related to his hormones. Even now, his hormones still are dissipating (for up to 6 or 8 weeks post neuter).

I'd try the ex pen again (either now or in a week to a month) for those times when you aren't home. Then he has the option to stretch and move about. But I wouldn't give up on it until he's had time for those hormones to not be a factor.

Just saw you were the one asking about the pen biting & pushing earlier. Without people knowing that your rabbit was still hormonal really makes most of those comments irrelevant unfortunately. The solutions to dealing with any rabbit behavior depends upon their hormonal status. Potty training accidents, excessive chewing, etc., are each dealt with differently depending on whether the rabbit is or is not hormonsl.

Glad you included that info here. :)

Last edited:
Back