my baby has ringworm, has anyone dealt with this before?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoyaa

Reaction score
About two weeks ago, i notice a little redpimple type bump on Bonnies neck and the day after i rushed her to thevet, they told me it looks like ringworm and did some tests. a weeklater i get the results of it being a definite ringworm and gotmedicine for it.
Ive been treating her to this medicine, washing her with shampoo theygave me and someother medicine they gave. The thing is, the first spoti noticed completely cleared out, but it has spread to her ears, theback of her neck is completely bold now and crusty. im really scaredthat this is fatal and im going to have to put to her sleep.

has anyone else dealt with this? any opinions, suggestions, advice?

i have a feeling that this hurts her, because when i put medicine onher she runs around the cage in terror. she eats/drinks/poops normally.but doesnt come out of her cage to run around anymore because she lostall trust me in i guess.

i have an appointment with the vet on monday again, is there anything ishould ask specifically? should i even consider the option of what iconsider murder? or let her suffer in pain? i dont know what to do.

here are some pictures of her before the ringworm:
http://petridish.net/picview.asp?picid=554989&a=21176

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/wallflowerr/cooties/c964315d.jpg

and here is the after:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/wallflowerr/mine/ace46ecc.jpg

^ thats not the worst it has gotten, i dont have my camera right now soi dont have any recent pictures. i hope someone can help me.

Im sorry i didnt introduce myself, Im Zoya from Brooklyn, NY im 18years old. Hi everyone.

EDIT: 12.8.05 SHES BETTER!

So last week i went to the vet again, for a check up. and she gave meoral medicationg for Bonnie.. but im not really trustworthy of thisdoctor because anything she kept giving me just made Bonnie worse.
My mothers friend gave me this anti fungal gel she used for her catsringworm, and ive been using it and Bonnie is getting much better, theinfected area isnt spreading and the hair she lost is growing backhealthy. Im really happy, she seems to feel better aswell, she now runsaround my room like mad and creating touble in every corner.

THANK YOU EVERYONE WHO HAS HELPED ME!

I DEFINITELY would not put her to sleep, shewill get better! I havent had this problem in rabbits but my cat had itas a kitten, her head went bald and scabby..a few weeks and she was100% im guessing its the same for bunnies. Just treat her normallyunless when she acts differently (like you said), but stay away fromthe ringworm spot (cos it might be contagious- it is in cats).What didyour vet say about the healing process?

It may hurt her for now, but she will get better, imsure:)When my cat had it everyone stayed away from her (butme) and now im the only person she loves:Djust keep in thereand your bun will appreciate it, i promise!:bunnydance:

What kind of meds is she on? My wilburhad ringworm over the summer and he had to be on meds for a good monthI would say, but it cleared up in a few weeks. Poor guy hadit around his mouth too & ears he looked pitiful, but it didn'tseem to bother him one bit.

Hi zoyaa. I did a search for ringworm in rabbitsand came across this. As you can see, ringworm is definately treatable,so no need to worry about the other option :)

How is ringworm treated?
Most rabbits will recover from the disease without treatment if anyunderlying environmental or nutritional factors are remedied. To treatrabbits and guinea pigs with isolated lesions, the area around thelesion should be thoroughly clipped down close to the skin. Care shouldbe taken when clipping not to irritate the skin, as this may make theinfection spread. Also realize that the clipped hair, clippers, and anygrooming instruments that come into contact with an infected animalwill harbor the spores and must be heat or chemically sterilized beforebeing used on any other animal. The lesions can then be treated withkeratolyticshampoos, povidone-iodine cleansing agents, lime-sulfur dips, and/ortopical anti-fungal medications (e.g.; miconazole or clotrimazolecream). It is recommended that all animals in the household/colony betreated.Griseofulvin,an oral medication, may be used in severe cases. Griseofulvin shouldnot be used in breeding or pregnant animals. Butenafine may be used inguinea pigs. Any treatment should be continued for at least 2 weeksafter the lesions have resolved.

Larger numbers of rabbits may be treated with a 1% solution of coppersulfate or a metastabilized chlorous acid/chloride dioxide compound (LDdisinfectant, Alcide Corp.). These may also be used as a preventive incolonies in which ringworm has been diagnosed.

Because the ringworm fungus can survive for such long periods in theenvironment, it is critical that an effective cleaning plan beimplemented. The spores are very resistant to most cleaners, however,bleach diluted to 1:10 with water or chlorhexidine will kill most ofthe organisms. All grooming tools, bedding, and kennels should bethoroughly cleaned and disinfected. Carpets should be steam cleaned anddisinfected. Heating and cooling ducts and furnaces should beprofessionally vacuumed and filters replaced. Furniture and drapesshould be vacuumed and the vacuum cleaner bags should be disposed ofpromptly. These cleaning measures will need to be continued during theduration of the treatment and for several weeks afterward.

Jan

Just in case they are incorrect in theirdiagnosis of ringworm, I would ask about giving the rabbit an Ivomecshot for fur mites. These are often difficult to pick up on askin scrapping, and are often misdiagnosed. The hair lossismost commonly seen right behind the neck over theshoulders.

Most of the fungal infections I've seen are around the front of thehead or on the feet. If the rabbit has not been exposed to asource of the ringworm fungus (another rabbit, or being outdoors, aringworm infection would be unlikely). The bathing can alsobe very stressful on the rabbit, and in some cases can lead toshock. There are anti-fungals in powder form that would beeasier to administer. (I've had good luck with human anti-fungal footpowders).

Also, if it is indeed a fungal infection, it is contagious to humans.

Pam

I was thinking the samething Pam that looks like a heck of acase of fur mites as apposed to ring worm,

My vet said that she checked for mites and she didnt see any, but everyone here seems to know more about rabbits than her.
Can the Ivomec shot affect Bonnie if she doesnt have fur mites at all? or it wont have any effect on her?

the infection is spreading towards her ears, rather than backwards.

Thank You everyone for the helpful information!

i have a Conofite 1% lotion, Chlorhexiderm, and Malaseb shampoo
are these any of the medicines you used on your bunny?

zoyaa wrote:
Myvet said that she checked for mites and she didnt see any, but everyonehere seems to know more about rabbits than her.
Can the Ivomec shot affect Bonnie if she doesnt have fur mites at all? or it wont have any effect on her?

In rare cases, rabbits have been known to have toxic reactions to theIvomec. In most cases, the rabbit has no reaction atall. She will need to be clear of any types of meds that mayhave been absorbed through her skin, so I'd wait a week after thefungal treatments and have the vet administer a small dosage of 1/10 ofa cc per pound of body weight, and repeat treatment in 7days. Ivomec can also be given orally.

The mites are difficult to pick up under the microscope. Inmany cases a mite can be found clinging to a strand of hair rather thanin skin scrappings. In some cases, I've bumped my microscopeslide and had a difficult time re-locating the mite that I knew was ona hair sample (because they are so small, and there may not be manyunless the rabbit is severely infested).

Keep in mind that I am not saying your vet is incorrect. Justdiscussing some other possibilities that seem more likely :)

Pam

my bunny charlie had this a few months ago.i hadnoticed her fur was coming off in one big heap,so i had taken her tothe vet,he thought it might have been mites but he saw nothing.when hewas looking at her he was pulling her fur and it was just sliding offher skin:shock:,he also looked through this special thing(sorry,icannot remember what it is called)it shows up the glowing bits of thering worm,he also took a scraping of her skin to see if she hadparasites as well,but that came up clear.

i had to apply betadine and surolan twice a day,it really seems to takeages for it to clear up.the vet also gave me the malaseb shampoo.itried to wash her with it and no way not ever again will i try to washher,she hated it.:)

dont worry,you will not have to put your bunny to sleep,im sure once you get things under control your bunny will be fine:)

hey Zoya, welcoem to the forum, im 15 and workat an animal hospital, i dont think your going to have to put Bonnie tosleep, but althought things look horrid, she will get better in duetime. just have faith, think posotive, and your results will beposotive. juist dont think so negative, i know its hard, but you gottatry. well everyone here has pretty much said anything:). wellhope she gets better in due time, good luck to her.

Hey Zoya welcome to the forum. Sorryit is under your circumstances. Pam is right-might be a goodidea to get a shot of Ivermec. BUT, your bun might have areaction to it. Just keep a close eye and get readyto rush her to the vet at a moments notice. Please keep usposted and good luck :)

Latest posts

Back