Moving to indoors - Advise needed!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megs

Reaction score
Hello,
It's been a long while since I have been on this site because happily, me and my girl Harley have been quite all right ;D

Anyway. I was thinking about buying her an indoor pen/cage to she can live indoors rather than outdoors. I would have enough of my own money to buy anything I would need myself so my parents don't have to worry about that. I am faced with two problems though.

1- I wouldn't know what size would be best. My Harley is a fully grown Netherland Dwarf so you know she is only a small breed.

2- I'd have to convince my parents. I know it sounds like I am just nagging on. But they don't think they would be too happy. They'd complain about where to put it and all of these little things.
I just think it's better for my rabbit. And during the bad weathers I am always worrying about her.

Just, any advise would be lovely.

Thankyou.

Hello,
It's been a long while since I have been on this site because happily, me and my girl Harley have been quite all right ;D

Anyway. I was thinking about buying her an indoor pen/cage to she can live indoors rather than outdoors. I would have enough of my own money to buy anything I would need myself so my parents don't have to worry about that. I am faced with two problems though.

1- I wouldn't know what size would be best. My Harley is a fully grown Netherland Dwarf so you know she is only a small breed.

2- I'd have to convince my parents. I know it sounds like I am just nagging on. But they don't think they would be too happy. They'd complain about where to put it and all of these little things.

I just think it's better for my rabbit. And during the bad weathers I am always worrying about her.

Just, any advise would be lovely.

Thankyou.

The xpens are nice if u wanted to keep her like
In a room or something then that way Harley
Can have plenty of room to play. And u can
Keep everything that she needs in there for her.

Other wise a fairly good cage the c&c cages are
Nice. People use wire racks (organizers) and
They build there own to fit the room or size that
They have to put the cage. Those are nice as well
Cause u build and custom it the way u want it.

NIC cages or x-pens can both make fairly roomy and fairly inexpensive cages. Do you plan on bunny-proofing your room? The less time out she gets, the larger the cage should be.

You could get some visuals by looking at the "2013 cages you made" link on this forum.
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f69/2013-cages-youve-made-73877/

There are also pics of some indoor housing at this site. It might also be helpful in showing your parents how indoor bunnies live if they are not familiar with that concept.

Last edited:
Netherland Dwarfs are pretty small, so you don't need a huge cage, but it doesn't hurt to go bigger if you can. Some rabbits do like levels, so they can be an option to give more space without taking up a ton of floor space.
x-pens are good. You could even do 1/2 the pen (2X4ft) and use the extra panels to bunny proof or something.
NIC cages are versatile and you can make it to suit your needs. The grids can be hard to find in some areas.
If you are going the store bought cage route, there are some pretty big ones out there. They do tend to be more expensive though.
Large wire dog crates can be good as well.

There are lots of options for caging, so you need to find what would work for you. Look at what other people have done and see what you might like or don't like.

If they wouldn't be happy knowing where to put the cage in the house, could you keep it in your bedroom? With a netherland, your cage options are pretty much limitless since many actual cages will be big enough, or you could make an NIC cage or even use a dog crate as others have suggested. You can use an x-pen, but only as an additional run-around area when your bun isn't in her cage.

Latest posts

Back