Moved cages next to each other, now what

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimandCocoa

Reaction score
On Friday I moved Cocoa and Daisy's cages next to each other. They were sniffing each other through the bars and definitely very interested in each other. I let Daisy out into the playpen and she kept running up to Cocoa's cage and sniffing him and rubbing her chin on the cage! Check out this video that I took: (first 30 seconds are a bit boring but keep watching!)

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/gKDNANrubso&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

My husband thinks both bunnies are anxious to meet face to face as everything is going well so far. I still feel like I should not have them out in the playpen together for maybe another week. They have been sleeping near each other when in their own cages and doing things like eating and playing at the same time! Also Cocoa has been peeing quite a bit outside of his litterbox. Are these all good signs? What should I do next?
:?

4806054122_3c1900e990.jpg

I don't know much about bonding bunnies BUT I wanted to say you have some beautiful bunnies and they seam to be getting along well...:biggrin:

:) this is a great start! if one or both of the bunnies are neutered then you could try putting them together. try and find a piece of neutral territory - one which neither bun has marked. dont leave them alone in case they fight. you could have a water pistol handy just in case! they may nip or mount each other. ideally they will groom but dont worry if they dont. keep things short to begin with. you can always increase the time the next day.

when daisy is chinning the bars she is marking her territory!

it's easier said then done but try to remain calm when you put them together. bonding can be a slow process but you have made a great start:D

Yes, Daisy has been spayed about a month ago. She was spayed before we adopted her from the animal protective league.

Today Daisy jumped on top of Cocoa's cage!! I had the top of Cocoa's cage open because I was cleaning in there and Daisy was out in the play pen. I walked away for 5 seconds and in that time Daisy jumped on top of Cocoa's cage. Luckily my husband grabbed her before she got into his cage! That would not have been a very good first face to face meeting! It really seems like they want to be together, it's so cute. I will introduce the buns in the next few days, can't wait!

I'm just throwing this out there, but you dont have to wait to introduce them if you dont want to.

At all the rabbit shelters they introduce the rabbits right away to see how it goes. That's how it went with my rabbits who actually bonded rather quickly. Sometimes the best way to get things done is to just jump right in. As long as you have gloves, a towel, or sneakers on your hands to separate them in the case of a fight, it should be fine. Watch them closely for signs of aggression to avoid a tussle.

Of course you should do whatever you think is right though! Good luck with the bonding.

Latest posts

Back