Mounting (strange behaviour?)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allenstacy74

Reaction score
hi everyone, so I’ve got 2 bunnies, a male and female (both neutered) who have been bonded since early this year. They are great together and have never fought or anything. Although recently I’ve noticed some strange behaviour from my doe. Every time I go to feed my rabbits she seems to get -overly excited- and keeps mounting/humping my male bun. He doesn’t seem to care when she does it but I still get her off anyway but why Is she doing this? I know that mounting can be a dominance thing but she only does it when it comes down to them getting food? Any ideas? :)

The anticipation of food arrival can create some tension/different behaviors in what appears like an otherwise stable bond. For example, there are some instances where an owner needs to temporarily separate a bonded pair just for feeding time due to chases/attacks that happen exclusively around food. This may be another expression of that. As long as he doesn't seem to mind, it's not too concerning, though I'd be vigilant in monitoring that it doesn't become a time of significant contention between them.

The anticipation of food arrival can create some tension/different behaviors in what appears like an otherwise stable bond. For example, there are some instances where an owner needs to temporarily separate a bonded pair just for feeding time due to chases/attacks that happen exclusively around food. This may be another expression of that. As long as he doesn't seem to mind, it's not too concerning, though I'd be vigilant in monitoring that it doesn't become a time of significant contention between them.
I watch them while they eat because sometimes they steal food from each other, I’ve brought them separate bowls for feeding to separate them but it was a bit of a shock when she all of a sudden started mounting him, my male is a sweet boy, so friendly he just lets her, he doesn’t react at all.. though I’ll consider separating her if she doesn’t calm down and let them be together after feeding time :) thanks for the help!

Latest posts

Back