Missouri Rabbitry Fined

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slavetoabunny

Reaction score
Prime example of "making an example" . Those fines are absolutely ridiculous. IF he was aware that he needed a license and still refused to obtain one, then yeah a fine should be incurred, but Seriously........90,000 is so stupid.

Yeah...612 rabbits is a LOT and so is the fine! Is there any regulations on how many rabbits can be sold without having a license. I realize this will vary by state.

Just curious...would our many reputable breeders consider this person to be a stereotypical "backyard breeder?" I am in NO WAY wanting to cause an arguement or controversy here. Just curious and would appreciate opinions.

I know that our breeder friends don't operate on this level.

I would hazard a guess that it's very, very difficult to breed for quality when you're churning out dozens and dozens of babies every month. Just keeping track of all the genetics and parents and health of each one is a HUGE undertaking with record keeping, nevermind the babies being well-socialized to people.

I do think that the term "backyard breeder" gets thrown around a lot and can take on a lot of different meanings depending on who you're talking to, though.

id be intereted too, in the amount that a breeder breeds effecting hsi ability to properly watch his herd...

There is a big time breeder in the US that many flemish breeders may know, who I had talked to a long time ago. He said he has a new litter every week with over 300 rabbits.

I think you can have a large operation and still breed for quality. I've see it done withmeat rabbits.Part of the reason this breeder is the'go to' person for FFA & 4-H projects is because they have agood reputation. Many ofthe rabbits this person sells to youth go on toget Grand and Reserve Champion in local fairs and school shows. Quantity doesn't always mean you're sacrificing quality.

majorv wrote:
I think you can have a large operation and still breed for quality. I've see it done withmeat rabbits.Part of the reason this breeder is the'go to' person for FFA & 4-H projects is because they have agood reputation. Many ofthe rabbits this person sells to youth go on toget Grand and Reserve Champion in local fairs and school shows. Quantity doesn't always mean you're sacrificing quality.
Let me clarify, I didn't mean the breeder in the article. I was referring to a breeder in our area. :confused2:

majorv wrote:
majorv wrote:
Let me clarify, I didn't mean the breeder in the article. I was referring to a breeder in our area. :confused2:

wasnt sure who you were talking about :) i know this breeder is very well known for his flemish standard, but when asking about personalities...he ignored the question multiple times when asked if they he breeds for nice rabbits too. which is as important as type IMHO when there are pet people who go to him, and i wouldnt want to get a rabbit for 100$+ wit good breeding, but may have a nasty streak bred in as a pet with kids in my home kinda thing.

Ive read the regulatory statute that this case relates to and a liscense would have only cost them $10 and a little bit of their time. Sorry, but I think when you sell at that volume, as a breeder, you need to aware of the laws. Granted the fine is very high, but the government means to make an example of this couple (who definetly should have Known better). They werent hobbyist breeders selling a couple dozen animals a year, they had a full-blown business going on and were trying to side-step the necessary regulations and then claimed ignorance of the laws. Not acceptable. These laws were placed on the books to protect animals from unethical operators of "mills" (puppy mills, rabbit mills, cat mills, etc...) and establish ethical beeding standards. In short, these people Knew better, and next time (if there is a next time) they will educate themselves on the laws and do what is required to run an ethical business. You only need to learn this type of lesson once.

In MO, correct me if I am wrong, and someone educate further into this law...but wasn't it just passed about the number of animals that could be kept/bred. I didn't know if this pertained to just dogs atm or not.

MO is known for puppymills, and thats the most common you hear of, rarely do you hear of chicken/rabbit/horse/cat mills. but this fine may be higher due to that law as well

Here is the actual statute that the couple violated. Note subsection (3) as that relates directly to the case at hand.

TITLE 9 - ANIMALS AND ANIMAL PRODUCTS
CHAPTER I - ANIMAL AND PLANT HEALTH INSPECTION SERVICE, DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE

SUBCHAPTER A - ANIMAL WELFARE
PART 2 - REGULATIONS
subpart a - LICENSING

2.1 - Requirements and application.

(a)(1) Any person operating or intending to operate as a dealer, exhibitor, or operator of an auction sale, except persons who are exempted from the licensing requirements under paragraph (a)(3) of this section, must have a valid license. A person must be 18 years of age or older to obtain a license. A person seeking a license shall apply on a form which will be furnished by the AC Regional Director in the State in which that person operates or intends to operate. The applicant shall provide the information requested on the application form, including a valid mailing address through which the licensee or applicant can be reached at all times, and a valid premises address where animals, animal facilities, equipment, and records may be inspected for compliance. The applicant shall file the completed application form with the AC Regional Director.

(2) If an applicant for a license or license renewal operates in more than one State, he or she shall apply in the State in which he or she has his or her principal place of business. All premises, facilities, or sites where such person operates or keeps animals shall be indicated on the application form or on a separate sheet attached to it. The completed application form, along with the application fee indicated in paragraph (c) of this section, and the annual license fee indicated in table 1 or 2 of 2.6 shall be filed with the AC Regional Director.

(3) The following persons are exempt from the licensing requirements under section 2 or section 3 of the Act: (i) Retail pet stores which sell nondangerous, pet-type animals, such as dogs, cats, birds, rabbits, hamsters, guinea pigs, gophers, domestic ferrets, chinchilla, rats, and mice, for pets, at retail only: Provided, That, Anyone wholesaling any animals, selling any animals for research or exhibition, or selling any wild, exotic, or nonpet animals retail, must have a license; (ii) Any person who sells or negotiates the sale or purchase of any animal except wild or exotic animals, dogs, or cats, and who derives no more than $500 gross income from the sale of such animals to a research facility, an exhibitor, a dealer, or a pet store during any calendar year and is not otherwise required to obtain a license; (iii) Any person who maintains a total of three (3) or fewer breeding female dogs, cats, and/or small exotic or wild mammals, such as hedgehogs, degus, spiny mice, prairie dogs, flying squirrels, and jerboas, and who sells only the offspring of these dogs, cats, or small exotic or wild mammals, which were born and raised on his or her premises, for pets or exhibition, and is not otherwise required to obtain a license. This exemption does not extend to any person residing in a household that collectively maintains a total of more than three breeding female dogs, cats, and/or small exotic or wild mammals, regardless of ownership, nor to any person maintaining breeding female dogs, cats, and/or small exotic or wild mammals on premises on which more than three breeding female dogs, cats, and/or small exotic or wild mammals are maintained, nor to any person acting in concert with others where they collectively maintain a total of more than three breeding female dogs, cats, and/or small exotic or wild mammals regardless of ownership; (iv) Any person who sells fewer than 25 dogs and/or cats per year, which were born and raised on his or her premises, for research, teaching, or testing purposes or to any research facility and is not otherwise required to obtain a license. This exemption does not extend to any person residing in a household that collectively sells 25 or more dogs and/or cats, regardless of ownership, nor to any person acting in concert with others where they collectively sell 25 or more dogs and/or cats, regardless of ownership. The sale of any dog or cat not born and raised on the premises for research purposes requires a license; (v) Any person who arranges for transportation or transports animals solely for the purpose of breeding, exhibiting in purebred shows, boarding (not in association with commercial transportation), grooming, or medical treatment, and is not otherwise required to obtain a license; (vi) Any person who buys, sells, transports, or negotiates the sale, purchase, or transportation of any animals used only for the purposes of food or fiber (including fur); (vii) Any person who breeds and raises domestic pet animals for direct retail sales to another person for the buyer's own use and who buys no animals for resale and who sells no animals to a research facility, an exhibitor, a dealer, or a pet store (e.g., a purebred dog or cat fancier) and is not otherwise required to obtain a license; (viii) Any person who buys animals solely for his or her own use or enjoyment and does not sell or exhibit animals, or is not otherwise required to obtain a license; (b) No person shall have more than one license.

(c) A license will be issued to any applicant, except as provided in 2.10 and 2.11, when: (1) The applicant has met the requirements of this section and 2.2 and 2.3; and (2) The applicant has paid the application fee of $10 and the annual license fee indicated in 2.6 to the appropriate Animal Care regional office for an initial license, and, in the case of a license renewal, the annual license fee has been received by the appropriate Animal Care regional office on or before the expiration date of the license.

(d)(1) A licensee who wishes a renewal must submit to the appropriate Animal Care regional office a completed application form and the annual license fee indicated in 2.6 by certified check, cashier's check, personal check, money order, or credit card. The application form and the annual license fee must be received by the appropriate Animal Care regional office on or before the expiration date of the license. An applicant whose check is returned by the bank will be charged a fee of $20 for each returned check. A returned check will be deemed nonpayment of fee and will result in the denial of the license. If an applicant's check is returned, subsequent fees must be paid by certified check, cashier's check, or money order.

(2) A license fee indicated in 2.6 must also be paid if an applicant is applying for a changed class of license. The applicant may pay the fee by certified check, cashier's check, personal check, money order, or credit card. An applicant whose check is returned by a bank will be charged a fee of $20 for each returned check. If an applicant's check is returned, subsequent fees must be paid by certified check, cashier's check, or money order.

I honestly feel you can be an amazing breeder and truely help out the breed with a barn of 20 rabbits. My favvvvv Harlequin breeders, they're one of the backgrounds in nearly EVERY harlequin you will see today, and they have maybe 20 rabbits. just visited them tonight and talked with John about it actually.

Then there is a Beveren breeder, wont name names, but he has 300 head of rabbit he is working with... at that point you just breed, and OFCOURSE you're going to end up with some nice show rabbits.

If you know what you're doing, you wont be cranking out hundreds of rabbits, PERIOD.

and meat producers fall into a different category IMO

Basically you can't make a profit of over $500 in a year without being licensed by the USDA.

Technically these people only made a $200 'profit', which I'm sure went right back into their rabbit hobby and if you compare that to expenses, that's probably MUCH higher than the income/'profit' they're making.

The whole thing is ridiculous and I hope it gets worked out and that they don't get fined. But then again, they were apparently aware of the laws, and were told to get a license, and refused...sooo. :/

I personally think they could fall under the BYB category - they're breeding mutts, selling to petting zoos, etc. and obviously didn't care that they had to send out young kits to these petting zoos - weekly!I'm sure it's possible to have a lot of rabbits and still breed quality, but from the article, it doesn't sound like these people were churning out nice purebred show and brood rabbits, but unpedigreed crosses.

Emily

Latest posts

Back