Mini Lop (USA) - look! my new show girl!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HollandLopper

Reaction score
Just got my first rabbit from a breeder who has been breeding show GC lines for 26 years. Here she is! She's 10 weeks; a chestnut agouti. This is my first rabbit and I'm actually a little afraid of the bugger... (neighbors had a nasty rabbit growing up and it bit and scratched -- my only experience with rabbits!)

She's super sweet but I want to make sure we bond. Any tips??? Also, what is the best way to pick her up? She struggled a bit when I tried earlier and I got scratched up a bit. But she loves to be pet!

Is she for show or just as a pet? Either way, she needs to get used to being handled so it's best to start early. I would let her get used to her new home first and then start working with her.

Why did you get a rabbit if you're afraid of them? Just curious...
Most rabbits don't like to be picked up. Most of them will scratch / bite when you try to handle them, that's normal. It's indeed better to get her used to it if you're planning to show her, but some rabbits just hate it and there is not much you can do about it. Just be sure to support her front and her behind with your hands when you have to pick her up so that she doesn't hurt herself (accidents often happen when the rabbit kicks in the air with their back legs, they are very powerful and they can break their backs in the process). You must hold her with confidence and firmly but without pressing too tight on her belly to avoid hurting any organs.

I don't think it should be the 'norm' that a rabbit scratch and bite when you pick them up. Maybe pet rabbits are different. It's imperative that a rabbit being used for show accept being handled without fighting you. It takes patience and daily handling from a young age to get some rabbits accustomed to being handled. Some breeds are easier to handle than others also. My Polish are very easy to handle but our Tans are a bit more headstrong and it takes regular handling to get them used to it. A judge can DQ a rabbit that fights them...if they aren't DQ'd chances are good they won't place well. When you're picking her up just make sure you are supporting her feet and back. They usually flail if they don't feel secure being held.

Latest posts

Back