Meet my big girl Ivy!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan55

Reaction score
As a kid I grew up with pet rabbits,my last one I got when I was 11 and he was around until I was24. Although after high school he mostly just livedwith my parents.
Since I moved to a more pet friendly place recently, I was playing around with the idea of getting another one.
The stars happened to align, as coincidentally a couplefriends of mine were looking for a new home for their big bunny Ivy dueto the fact they had recently gotten 2 dogs and she no longer got muchattention. She is huge, which is exactly what I waslooking for (I was specifically thinking of a flemish giant)
Something satisfying about having a rabbit that could kick the crap out of any wussy little cat. ;)

First here is a quick rundown on her background.

I am at least her 3rd owner, the previous owners (marriedcouple who arefriends of mine) picked her up from the SPCAwho thought she was a male and came with the name "Gigolo" becauseapparently"he" tried to hump everything, and theynever bothered to check "his" sex (and never got "him" fixedeither). Age and breed were unknown, but "he" wasalready fully grown @ 12 pounds so probably at least a year old.
So John and Jess brought "him" home thinking "he" would be a goodcompanion for their little dwarf. To make a long storyshort, it was discovered "he" was actually a "she" when theytook "him" to get neutered, so they left the vet with a fixedgirl re-named Ivy.
Unfortunately Ivy and their dwarf bunny did NOT get along (they did allthe recommended introduction processes) so they remainedseparate. Fast forward 2 years, John and Jess gotpuppies who both thought the rabbits were on the menu.
So.....in comes Ivy to her new home with me. :) Ihave only had her a few days, since saturdayafternoon.
She has a great room downstairs, its kind of a large unusedspace, about 10'x14' and carpeted so she has a nice sized"palace". Ive set up some cardboard tunnels, platforms andhuts for the time being, and ive got some other projects in the works.

She is a little overweight now, I dont have accurate scalesenough to weigh her, but I would guess she is around 13-14pounds and she would be healthier at 12.5 or so. Ill take herto the vet in the next few weeks for a checkup. The picturesdont really convey the size of that booty ;) but Id be happyto hear any input of what you guys think.

Her personality is very "princess" like! Shedemands attention and petting. She will hop up to me and notonly put her forehead/nose under my hand, but she will shoveit forcefully to make sure I get the idea! She only starteddoing small binkys last night, she is still adapting to thenew house and to me. In fact yesterday after I came home fromwork she was very scared of me, which was confusing becauseshe was very affectionate on sunday.

Now finally to the pictures! She is hard to get a goodpicture of, but here are a few and Ill get more later!

252964315_63b2645e15.jpg

252964240_2053b3a823.jpg

252964207_5543f18751.jpg

252964289_0e29e5e97a.jpg

As a side note, its amazing how little people know aboutrabbits. My girlfriend thought they were essentially like bighamsters and didnt like them at all. Just sat in the cage allday with no peronsality. It took her about 10 minutes to fallin love with Ivy and now she is planning on getting a rabbit.And this was someone who previously had no desire to have any pet but adog!

She is gorgeous! :inlove:Im so happy for you andher that you were able to give her such a wonderful home! She soundslike she spoiled already (like most of the buns here on the forum).

Welcome to you and Ivy! Do you and your girlfriend live together? Youcould always let Ivy pick out a cute little boy....:whistling

Cant wait to see more photos!

-Haley

SO CUTE!!!!!!

Now What happened to the other bunny?

What a gorgeous girl! She looks likeJimD's Tootsie, who is a New Zealand but is a little smaller.Although New Zealand/Flemish crosses aren't too unusual.

I bet she's thrilled to have a bunnydad that actually wants to takegood care of her. Poor girl. That's a lot of homesto go through!

thanks for the kind words everyone!

Haley wrote:
Welcome to you and Ivy! Do you and your girlfriend live together? Youcould always let Ivy pick out a cute little boy....:whistling
No we dont live together, but now she misses Ivy more than me :tongutwo:so I think she wishes she did!
I do plan on getting another rabbit, maybe aflemish, although they are so hard to find in thisarea. :(

JadeIcing wrote:
Now What happened to the other bunny?
To quote John, "that rabbit is the devil's spawn and Iwouldnt wish her on anybody". Apparently she is quite thebiter, and actually attacked Ivy violently on their thirdintroduction. They still have her, and she has her own roomso at least she is not constantly harrassed by the dogs.

Well, if you or your girlfriend decide to adopt another, let us know if we can help!

We have some wonderful bunnies in our rescue section in need of goodhomes (we could try out the transport team to get one to you) or I canhelp you locate shelters in your area. A lot of places will allow youto bring in your rabbit to meet other buns, to see if they getalong! I wish I wouldve done that myself before bringing asecond one home-bonding..ugh dont get me started :)

Wow! Your Ivy is such abeauty!! I love big buns...I just find their sizefascinating, since all the ones I've ever seen firsthand have beenmaybe 5 or 6lbs. Now I have Flower, who I wouldestimate to be about 8lbs. I've seen some a bit larger at theshelter near me, though...and always think how fun it would be to havea bun about the size of our cats...hehe!!

Anyway, what a beautiful girl. Congratulations on your new friend! :)

Rosie*

Oh, what a cuite! I love the shot of her peeking out of her tunnel.

me too! Its my new favorite :)

one more pic.

both of my girls :)

259087715_fa4002581a.jpg

one has evil-looking eyes
the other is a rabbit! :laugh:har har

by the way, does anyone know how to reduce the redeye inpictures? rabbits seem to have a very reflective back of thecornea

She is gorgeous!

Your rabbit is okay too ;)haha..couldnt resist.

Do you have any photo editing software? I use kodak software that camewith my camera, but I know there are lots of different ones. Theyshould have an option to remove red eye.

Ivy is such a beautiful bunny! And such a biggirl! She weighs more than both of my boys combined! I love the pictureof her in the cardboard tunnel!

Oswald has one of those wire balls for holding hay, he loves his. Heespecially loves it a 4 in the morning . . .:mad: he he

As for the red-eye reduction, Google has a WONDERFUL freephoto-editing/organization software called Picasa. I could sing itspraises for hours, but I'll just give you the link instead.

http://picasa.google.com/

Amy

Latest posts

Back