Massive rabbit rescue in South Florida

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slavetoabunny

Reaction score
Gainesville Rabbit Rescue participated yesterday in a massive rescue of rabbits from a breeder in South Florida who was going to gas then and sell the bodies for snake food. GRR is keeping 16 of them, with the rest going to other rescues, foster and adoptive homes. If you need a bunny, just let us know! Here is the link to the news story. Be sure and watch the video:

http://www.fox4now.com/story/14575203/bunnies-rescued-after-fox-4-story

I couldn't see the video while I'm at work, but I'm wondering, did she end up insisting on getting paid for the rabbits? That's the part that made me really mad. She would rather have them dead then let them go. Poor little bunny hostages. :(

I'm very relieved they are all safe. Every one involved should be comended on a great job.

Can I fly over and punch the breeder in the face? :grumpy:

I'm thankful she had enough mercy to let the rabbits be saved.

I love how she flat lied about never intending to kill them. and how much of "rescue" group are you if you refuse to take in an animal because of it's owner seriously DON'T call yourself a resecue group if your NOT going to rescue the ones who need you the MOST. that just irritates me.

I almost asked you if this was legit Patti when I saw Zeus' rescue post about it on Facebook....because they mentioned your rescue also.

I thought about donating to y'all but I donated to Zeus' rescue since I think they're taking some rabbits....

But I'm sure that all of the rescues taking in rabbits (especially Gainesville) would love donations from bunny lovers...

Reading that literally made me feel sick. Ugh. Makes me wonder how she'd feel if her husband wanted to gas her because he couldn't afford her anymore? (Ok, that was probably a bit much, but thats the first thing I thought of after reading, lol). But I really would like to punch her in the face.

Oh wow. I had not heard about this... Probably because my laptop is not working and i don't read the papers and rarely watch the news. I'm nearby, in Naples.
I can't take anymore bunnies because I am inexperienced bunny person and my dh would divorce me (some days that sounds divine however but the kids and bunnies like him). I would like to help somehow though.
There is a low cost spay & neuter clinic in N. Naples. They h
ave neutered 2 of my bunnies, one this past monday. I think I read they have shuttles to help with out of town animals.

TinysMom wrote:
I almost asked you if this was legit Patti when I saw Zeus' rescue post about it on Facebook....because they mentioned your rescue also.

I thought about donating to y'all but I donated to Zeus' rescue since I think they're taking some rabbits....

But I'm sure that all of the rescues taking in rabbits (especially Gainesville) would love donations from bunny lovers...
Magic Happens is taking a number of the rabbits. Right now the rabbits are vacationing at our Gainesville resort awaiting transport.

Cheyrul wrote:
Oh wow. I had not heard about this... Probably because my laptop is not working and i don't read the papers and rarely watch the news. I'm nearby, in Naples.
I can't take anymore bunnies because I am inexperienced bunny person and my dh would divorce me (some days that sounds divine however but the kids and bunnies like him). I would like to help somehow though.
There is a low cost spay & neuter clinic in N. Naples. They h
ave neutered 2 of my bunnies, one this past monday. I think I read they have shuttles to help with out of town animals.
We do have our own low cost vet up in Gainesville. I believe they spay/neuter for $50 for us.

I was curious if we were listed. I believe that MHRR is taking 9. If I had room, I would foster one. I'll probably sponsor a spay or neuter. We get them cheap- it's $35 for a neuter, $40 for a spay, I think. The rescue's site is http://www.magichappensrescue.com . I'm kind of looking forward to it! Lots of cute little purebred bunnies.

I'm also not understanding why she couldn't sell her stock to another breeder. She's a lying piece of filth. She should be ashamed of herself, and she's probably gloating over the fact that she took advantage of people's kind hearts. If I ever saw her....:X. Taking financial advantage of a RESCUE is despicable. I know snakes need to eat, too. But I don't think the woman really had any intention of doing anything but shoving off HER responsibilities on someone else and making some cash. I don't normally get so hacked off at people, but this has gotten to me.

I think that the rabbit ransom cost somewhere around $637 -money that could have gone to spay/neuters. You wouldn't believe the grief we have had to take over paying the ransom. The HRS was a major offender. Really, were we supposed to let 77 rabbits get murdered over $637?

This was this woman's entire stock. She says she isn't going to breed anymore. Believe me, there will be people following up on that! I think it was just a failed business venture and she is glad to be done with it.

slavetoabunny wrote:
TinysMom wrote:

Magic Happens is taking a number of the rabbits. Right now the rabbits are vacationing at our Gainesville resort awaiting transport.
Yep - that is the rescue I support. I can hardly wait to see which ones they're getting...I'll have to check out their site.

How many rabbits is Gainesville keeping out of the lot?

slavetoabunny wrote:
You wouldn't believe the grief we have had to take over paying the ransom. The HRS was a major offender. Really, were we supposed to let 77 rabbits get murdered over $637?
I think if I ever saw the woman, I'd probably smack her.

I wouldn't think that you would have gotten BS over paying the ransom. I agree with what ya'll did.

I called Dad. After finals are over, I'm going to bring a few of the rabbits down to him and he is going to spay them. So a few no-cost spays, at least.

TinysMom wrote:
slavetoabunny wrote:
TinysMom wrote:

Yep - that is the rescue I support. I can hardly wait to see which ones they're getting...I'll have to check out their site.

How many rabbits is Gainesville keeping out of the lot?

GRRis taking14 (last count)and I believe that Magic is keeping 9. There are a few that are being further transported to other rescues. What a great group effort! This would not have been possible without the help of all of the help of fellow rabbit lovers!!!!

I love the HRS but they can sometimes be too judgmental.

It's hard for me to look at those rows of barren wire cages with sad looking faces, I'm glad they are empty now though!

:bunny18

Latest posts

Back