Mama in Nestbox

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaded Night Rabbitry

Reaction score
She's a new doe to me, but she's been a very active brood doe for 2 1/2 years. (She's about 3 1/4 or so.)

She will NOT leave the nest box. I think it's already caused problems. I'm so angry I wasn't here to make sure she kindled okay... I've caught all but one of the kindlings. One baby was a peanut (also odd. She's over 3 lbs. o.o; BIG true dwarf? LOL!). One looked fine, but looked trampled. I gave up hope for a live one, until I pressed too hard on some hay. Out popped a perfect little live baby.

I had a doe due a day before her, who's yet to kindle. (With 6 babies+ in her, I have no idea how she's holding on!) I wanted to foster it off, but now I'm not so sure. (Well, since the doe has yet to even nest, I'm expecting another two days for her.)

o.o; Now I'm wanting to foster some upcoming babies to the black doe. I have a large litter due on a first time mom, who I'd rather keep showing. I have 4 bred girls, and planned on being able to split up the 4ths between the other three.

But this not leaving the nest box is scaring me. I've brought her inside, since I've had far too many day olds die from the cold. (It's still chilly and rainy, here in WA.)

Should I be taking away the box at this point? Or leave it with her?

>.>;;;;;;;;;

Don't seperate her from the nest box. Since rabbits only nurse their young at certain times for such small amounts of time. Even taking the doe away for 10 minutes could deplete the young of their daily intake of milk if that had been around the same time the doe usually nurses.

Anyway, I would suggest trying to distract the doe and/or encouraging her to come out of the nest box. Try putting a carrot or extra hay on the other side of her cage so that she must get out of the box to go nibble on it.

She may also be cold or sense that her young are cold. Try putting more nesting material in the nest box and maybe she'll leave them alone once she realizes that they'll be alright.

I know. 8D My "nursery" is upstairs, in my room. I can watch them, make sure babies are fed, be there during kindling time, and just generally be sure they're safe.

She did eventually get her butt out of the box. I did take it out for a little while, to get her to calm down. I gave it back in 15 minutes or so. Since then, she's been in it much less. Maybe 5 minutes per hour. She's so... Odd.

Two does kindled last night. I took a couple of "peanuts" (can't tell if they are or aren't... think they are, tho.) from one, and gave them to her. They were born outside, on the wire. (>.>;) Got them warm, two of them tried to feed to little success. I'll probably lose them by tomorrow, but might as well have the extra warmth in the nest now.

I do think I agree with the cold baby part. They were just about freezing when I found them. even the live baby was rather cold.

I'm just happy to be done with pregnancy for two weeks. XD Too stressful.

There are many breeders who take the nestboxes into the house in the winter and bring it back to the doe twice a day for her to nurse them. I have done it many times and the does always feed them. I think it's a combination of wanting the relieve the pressure of their milk and to take care of their young.

Roger

I also take the kits away from the doe. I know this sounds odd, but my does will all nurse whenver I put them back in (up to 3 times a day) and when they're finished, they scratch at the door to get out. I've even had a doe nurse an 8 week old kit from another litter, simply because the kit hopped in the cage behind her.

Latest posts

Back