Mama had some babies... what now

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shontelle

Reaction score
My female mini Lopp just had some babies this morning I’m not too sure how many I can’t see that fully covered. However I’m not sure if I should be feeding her something special to give her some extra nutrients so like vitamins or something just so she feels well. What’s better to give her, alfalfa hay or oaten hay?

Is she on an alfalfa/lucerne based 16% protein pellet? Usually pellet rations should be increased over the next few days, so they are getting fed either unlimited pellets, or close to that amount. You still want them also eating the same amount of grass hay as before, as they still need the fiber. A little bit of alfalfa /lucerne can be added in too for the extra protein and calcium.

If she is being fed a grass based low protein pellet, then I would either get her switched to an alfalfa based one, or add in a good amount of alfalfa to make up for the extra protein and calcium needed. Though keep in mind, suddenly switching pellet types without a gradual transition process, isn't recommended due to possible digestive upset, but with a nursing doe you don't have the time to gradually switch. So it's either suddenly switching to alfalfa based pellets and increasing the amount, or keeping on with a grass based pelket, increasing the amount, and adding in a good portion of alfalfa hay to up the protein and calcium. Nursing does need roughly 3 times the nutrients/calories as before, though that will vary depending on the size of the litter.

Here's some further info on what is needed and what to expect when caring for an accidental litter.
https://flashsplace.webs.com/accidentallitters.htm

My female mini Lop just had some babies this morning I’m not too sure how many I can’t see that fully covered. However I’m not sure if I should be feeding her something special to give her some extra nutrients so like vitamins or something just so she feels well. What’s better to give her, alfalfa hay or oaten hay? What veggies are best to give her right now? Anyone else want to give me their experience with a new mamma rabbit how they give her extra special care I would love to hear. Mum (Fifi) is in the cage, with her very supportive mini lop husband (Pods) sitting by her side out of her house.65682B98-6118-4696-855C-B3DECD7A0151.JPG.jpegA8427190-839E-4A08-B66A-A7FBDBCFA46A.JPG.jpegC4F768D2-.jpg

Just give her what she is used to, lots of it. You can also give more greens like grass and all kind of weeds, if she isused to it. If you can gather it where they live anyway, can't tell how big the risk of deseases is where you live if you collect it farther away.

I would offer both hays and let her chose.

You can add a tablespoon of plain kitchen oatmeal to her diet, nursing does don't get fat easily, if she's on the skinny side you can mix in some drops of sunflower seed oil.

In my opinion, they don't really need special pellets, you might not get the fastest possible growth rate possible, but I reckon your goal isn't butcher weight asap. I feed does and kits mostly forage, only little pellets, takes longer to grow out but that doesn't matter much to me.

She'll be fine with pretty much anything if she has plenty of it.

Be sure she has plenty of water.

Otherwise, there isn't much to do now. It doesn't hurt to briefly check the nest for any dead kits or wet /soiled bedding (just put some fingers in and feel for something cold) if you cover them back up well. No need for a head count right now.

Last edited:
Agree that you need to check the nest to make sure all kits are alive and well. Other than plenty of water, hay and more protein in the diet (usually thru pellets) the doe should be okay.

Back