Lunchbox's behavior flips on a dime!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frozenstars

Reaction score
So, we've had Lunchbox now for about six months. A gorgeous bunny who used to binky like crazy and loved having her booty scratched and her nose pet, but went through phases of grumpiness/anti-social behavior, but they never lasted longer than a week. About 3 weeks ago, her grumpy mood got especially grumpy. She went from cuddly and lovey-dovey to not letting myself or my boyfriend near her at all. She'll barely come up to me for a treat.

I chalked it up to teenage behavior and hormones, but I am truly starting to worry for her. She is almost 7 months old, so she is due to be spayed, but we're moving to Florida in just a couple of weeks and I don't want to stress her on top of that move. Will the dust (and her aggressive behavior) settle upon settling into our new home and getting her spayed?

In the meantime, how do I avoid reinforcing the bad behaviors (lunging, running away, being territorial during feeding) without being too forceful with her?

Any advice is appreciated! I've been lurking here for months, but it is definitely time to reach out!

It sounds like moody teenage behavior to me! The spay should calm that down and make things better. Can't make suggestions on the rest but I'm sure others will be along to answer soon!
Best of luck!!

Spaying should do wonders for her. The sooner the better before naughty behaviors become ingrained. (Some suspect that these bad behaviors can become permanent if the spay is put off for too long.)

Here's a thought that may be worth considering. Immediately following the spay, she is supposed to limit her movements and be confined for a bit. I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to time it so that she spends her confined time in the travel carrier on your trip down South to Florida? Kind of hitting two birds with one stone, so to speak. I'm not sure if this could work or not... just thinking that she has to be confined for the trip anyway.

Thanks for the reassurance so far! I know it's perfectly reasonable from everything I've read, but it really affects me emotionally. I feel like she just really hates me. Just a minute ago, I went to feed her and she went in to bite me but I've started wearing a glove when feeding her because it has truly gotten impossible to manage.

I was considering doing that (spaying and using the drive down as recovery time) but I am so worried about over stressing her! I have read that some bunnies refuse to eat and drink while in travel, and if she is still... standoffish then, I'm worried she might hurt herself in trying to escape me in the small enclosed area.

I agree that the once the hormones are out of her system her behaviour will improve. As far as spaying before the move, I don't think she'll hurt herself in a smaller space, I think that's less likely, but I do worry about the added stress on her and you both. If she doesn't have time to be spayed and recover before the move, I personally would not risk it.

Latest posts

Back