Lump Under Skin Around Hind Leg

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiliMilo

Reaction score
I'm sorry for the long thread but i need to Previously i had a thread about my 7 year old rabbit named Milo who had heart disease with respiratory symptoms like "raspy snoring" sound, dry sneezing and breathing distress when she's lying flat. I took her to the vet in january and revealed that she had enlarged heart but her EKG shows that she still have normal heartbeat around 150 - 300/min. She also had on/off respiratory disease/wet eye since August 2020. She had chronic teary eyed since 2019. I treated her with Fortekor and Vetmedin for her heart problems and it seemed like she responded well to the medicine since her enlarged heart "shrinking" in size and her symptoms is almost gone. I attached a comparison heart xray picture.

But recently the above mentioned symptoms had appeared again. She had that raspy snory breathing when she's resting and groom herself. She's also began dry sneezing/distress when she's lying flat (head on the floor pose).

About a week ago, she seemed stress because i left her for about a day when i was always there to pay attention to her. Ever since she was a little brat, she's always been that attention seeker. When i shifted my attention from her, she began drinking less from her stress when i leave her. So this "attention seeking" behaviour is back again, and about a week ago she's drinking less than usual. Maybe her immune system is suppressed from the stress or something, her "respiratory problem" is back (which i assumed was pasteurella because in 2020 that problem resolved with abx. she also had abscess in her front leg back then. they didn't have culture test in my area so my vet is prescribing meds here and there to check out which ones works). So she's occassionally sneezing with white snot, and her eyes have that white gunk as well. Usually it's just white tears but now she had that gunk like consistency from her eye.

And now the big problem arises. In 14 March, i palpilated around her stomach (near her right hind leg), and found a small "flat" hard lump the size of fingernails. It's hard but it could be moved easily. It grew bigger in 3 days. Diameter wise it is not increased but the lump had more "filling" (for lack of better word). It become more roundish as day goes by. She eat, drink, poop and pee normally now. Pee and poop is normal in consistency and size. Nothing changes or unusual apart from her heart disease's respiratory problems like i mentioned earlier. Last friday i brought her to the vet to get checked and she said that this lump is under the skin but not attached to stomach muscle. She palpilated everywhere but only found this one lump near her right hind leg. She prescribed me with abx for her pasteurella, some antioxidant for her lump and some vitamins. Her lump is growing bigger now (more filled), but her "snot sneezing" and eye gunk is reduced.

What could this lump possibly be? Is it an abscess or a tumor? Could you differentiate the two just by palpilating the lump itself? About the growth, do cancer/tumor have rapid growth? What about abscess growth?

And if i need to do an operation to remove her lump, what do i need to prepare for her? With her age and her pre existing medical condition (heart disease), is it safe for her to go through GA? How is my rabbit monitored safely through the GA? Can i ask my vet to administer local anasthesia instead if GA is considered too risky?

Every vet in my area didn't have many experience handling an old rabbit as patients because in my country rabbit is rarely seen surviving above 2 years of age. I need to make sure and ask the entire procedure if it safe enough for my elderly rabbit to survive through the entire procedure.

She's not spayed btw, because i tried to took her and my vet said they didn't have enough experience to neuter a doe rabbit. They said the procedure is more complicated than bucks.

Attachments

• IMG-20220311-WA0057.jpg
    IMG-20220311-WA0057.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220315_183936.jpg
    20220315_183936.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 3
I can't tell if it's an abscess or tumor, or how quick it would be growing. Is it on the mammary line, or close to it?

I had an emergency spay done on a 7yo doe with a stuck kit, the vet wasn't optimistic because of age and condition but since the options were euthanizing right away or at least trying surgery I decided for the latter. Went well, she's still a happy outdoor bunny.
Her mother, 10yo, looks somewhat off in the belly region now, but there's nothing I'm going to do about it, no vet visit as long as she's my most bossy and active rabbit. She'll get pain or other meds if she needs those at some point, but no surgery or so, too old.

My vet is pretty good I think, not doing much of bloodworks, tests and such but she's confident in what she's doing and realistic about it, I always got good results. If your's isn't confident about the GA I'm not sure if I would try it, the risk depends a lot on available equipment and practice. And with GA there is always a risk, getting higher with age.

Can't tell about local anesthesia, or something in between. But if possible I would contact other vets too with this question.

I can't tell if it's an abscess or tumor, or how quick it would be growing. Is it on the mammary line, or close to it?

I had an emergency spay done on a 7yo doe with a stuck kit, the vet wasn't optimistic because of age and condition but since the options were euthanizing right away or at least trying surgery I decided for the latter. Went well, she's still a happy outdoor bunny.
Her mother, 10yo, looks somewhat off in the belly region now, but there's nothing I'm going to do about it, no vet visit as long as she's my most bossy and active rabbit. She'll get pain or other meds if she needs those at some point, but no surgery or so, too old.

My vet is pretty good I think, not doing much of bloodworks, tests and such but she's confident in what she's doing and realistic about it, I always got good results. If your's isn't confident about the GA I'm not sure if I would try it, the risk depends a lot on available equipment and practice. And with GA there is always a risk, getting higher with age.

Can't tell about local anesthesia, or something in between. But if possible I would contact other vets too with this question.
I'm sorry for a late reply, i used to check on this thread everyday but no one replied so i never checked again. It's on her "groin" i think? It's in the inner flaps of her right leg.

What's your 7 year old rabbit medical condition when she's undergo the surgery? I'm a bit afraid to get her to surgery because of her enlarged heart. I hoped someone with same experience replied because i need to know some precaution for my rabbit before going into GA.

Back