Loosing hair dripping eye

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is your rabbit eating ok?

Yes he was eating and acting normal except for the dripping eye and infection, after putting him under for X-rays and antibiotics he lost the strength in his back legs, this morning he is licking his mineral block, eating his pellets and drinking, he is alert. This will be the 10th day of antibiotics and his last dose, the right eye is looking really good no puss, but the left eye lids are still puffy and red with puss.

Oh wow. Looks like hes doing alot better. Keep up what ur doing and he will be better in no time!☺

Snickers is done with his antibiotics and this is the first day with no puss in his eyes and his eye lids are not pink or swollen. But unfortunately he is now totally crippled on his back legs, so ask yourself would you want dripping eyes or being crippled. He can no longer pull his legs under his body and just drags his legs behind him.

IMG_1300.jpg

IMG_1294.jpg

IMG_1296.jpg

IMG_1301.jpg

IMG_1297.jpg

So what are you going to do?
I sent an email to my vet to see if she has any thoughts, I was hoping it was a side affect to the antibiotics and he would get stronger, but it's getting worse not better. I'm sure being put under or the antibiotics affected his system, too coincidental not to be. But I'm not a rabbit expert, maybe someone on here knows.

That's really fantastic the pus has cleared up. However I would want to continue the antibiotics at least a week past the last sign of symptoms, just to make sure it's really cleared up. If it's not and there is still pus under the surface, then stopping the antibiotics too early can create antibiotic resistance if those same antibiotics are used again. Making it more difficult to treat when it reemerges.

I really don't believe the hind leg weakness is a side effect from the antibiotics. Getting injured while he was at the vet for tests might be a possibility, or even a side effect to anesthesia might be possible. It's also possible that it was just a coincidence and that it's due to old age and spinal issues/spondylosis(or did the vet xray the back and rule that out?). If you have the time needed for the extra care and your bun is eating well and seems happy enough still, maybe just try managing things for a while and see how it goes.

If he is being kept in a cage, it would probably be better to change his set up now to make his living space more tailored to his disability. For my old disabled bun, I found what worked best for her living area was disposable puppy pads, cotton towels, with a layer of vet bed type fleece over it. This helped keep the urine drained away so that her fur stayed dry to prevent urine scald occurring. The soft surface also prevented sores from developing on her skin and legs. I also placed her food and water around her area so she could easily access it. The hard part for me was having to check on her at least every 4 hours day and night, to make sure she was able to get to her food and water alright(sometimes she would get stuck scooting around so I had to help her to her water then back to her food). Here's a picture of her set up(don't think I've posted one here yet). It might help give you some ideas.

IMG_20151118_120930839 (640x360).jpg

Thanks everyone, sure appreciate all of your help.:rabbithop

Latest posts

Back