Look what I found

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is just my opinion and mine alone.

It is not fair. Any of my rabbits would be a lot quieter than any cat or dog. Ok granted Apollo is too big but I know he would handle a plane trip 100 times easier if he was right there with me.

I think it puts alot of stress on rabbits to be in the belly of a plane. I personally will never fly my rabbits anywhere. I drive wherever I go just so that Apollo can come with me.

That's just my two cents.

Tina

ditto that Tina!

I would never put any of my pets in a plane if i couldn't be there to keep them calm. I would rather be on a plane with50 rabbits, then one screaming infant.

Nicole

I would prefer to have Bindy with me in the cabin, the noise in theunder belly is so loud, my parents have had experiences with 2 cats (onseperate occasions) going on planes and they say they wouldn't like tohave animlas there again, they'd prefer them to be in the cabin.

The noise is horrendous, mum had the cats sedated and she said cuddlesused to freak out when she would turn the vacumn cleaner on after herplane flight, prior to the flight it never bothered her, so sheobviously hate the noise and it makes her think of the plane.

I couldn't travel and enjoy the flight with any of my animals not beingwith me, I'd be worried if they were scared or what not and I am surethey would arrive in a happier mood knowing that we were there withthem and they could see us.

I don't think animals should be able to roam the cabin , theyshould be in carry cages or pet taxi what ever you want to call themand maybe they could put all the people who have animals at the back ofthe plane so they wouldn't be spread through out the cabin and causingproblems for people who have allergies.

Just my thoughts

Unfortunately for any animal on a plane thereare big risks. A law was recently passed making airlinesreport any lost, injured or killed animals aboard. It's apretty startling thing. I would worry about flying any of myrabbits because they stress so much easier then dogs or cats.Some airlines do allow you to keep your small animals in the cabin aslong as their carriers fit under the seat or in the overhead.I'm not sure how you would fit a larger animal in the cabin.I can just picture my lab...

I'm lucky that Shawn's a pilot in that if I needed to fly any of myanimals, he'd be able to do it. I knew that pilot thing wouldcome in handy sometime. LMBO That said, that'sreally the only way I would fly any of my animals unless absolutelynecessary.

About 18 months ago, we almost moved to Alaska, all my animals wouldhave had to fly commercial and I was terrified. I'm so gladwe didn't have to make that move.

Jen

Edit: I just remembered the funniest story. My friend Mark'sMom is bi-costal and so is her cat. Once when Indigo was inthe overhead, the person in the seat next to her started freaking outbecause she felt some drips on her head. The person thoughtthat Indigo had peed and it was dripping on her head. Itturned out to be the air conditioner leaking, but that wasthe last time Indigo went in the overhead.

I flew from Canada to the US in February, andCleo traveled with me. When I booked the flight all the infoI was given was that she was allowed to fly in the cabin withme. When I got to the airport they informed me that, that wasnot the case, she had to fly in cargo!

The reason they gave me was "anaphylactic" (not in spell check) shock, and they smell! (more on that later)

While checking in we were to find out that the flight was delayed 2hours because of weather. So, Cleo would be alone by herselffor an extra 2 hours we had not counted on. Was also toldwhat size carrier I should get (spoke to the airline twice beforeleaving) and how much it was to take her on the flight. Whenit came time to check us in they wanted double the price that wasquoted. We even took a measuring tape with us to the store tomake sure it was the right size. Well thank God that my Dadwas there cuz he ripped into them, up one side and down theother.They relented because I was misquoted, like howwouldI have the info if I wasn't? There wereairline managers all over the place when my Dad let intothem. They also said Rabbits "smell", so I put Cleo's cage onthe desk, opened the door and put it right into the womans face, andsaid, "Does this smell to you?".... I think she was offended...lol

They then tell us that Cleo has to go to another part of the airport,to be loaded. But cannot be taken there til 10 am.It was now 7am, so that means my parents have to wait 3 hours in theairport to take her to the cargo area. My Dad blew up again,because not only would he have to wait, Cleo would not be on the sameplane as me. So that would mean I would have to wait at mydestination airport for her as well. I was intears. They were not budging on this one at all. Sooff I go to customs. Here I am waiting in line, crying myeyes out, and an official of some sort comes along and pulls me out ofthe line (everyone is now staring at me) They take me back tothe check out and tell me that they have made an error Cleo can fly onthe plane with me but in cargo. Oh, I am telling you we werelivid! Thank God my parents hadn't left yet! I goto luggage check in with my 2 very large pieces of luggage, my carry-onand Cleo. They tell me that I have to take Cleo out of hercage and put the crate through xray. I just looked at them,no one offered to help. I now have to take a terrified bunnyout of the crate and balance everything else I was carrying.They just stood there and watched, but when I had her outthey all oohed and ahhed.... gee thanks for your help, i wanted to say!

They tell us also that when we arrive in Detroit, a 2 hour layover, Iwas told that I could check on Cleo any time I wanted. I getto the airport and ask them where I go to see her. They tellme "Oh no, we don't do that". Well thank you very much!

Did I mention to you that on one of the flights I took there were only25 people and on the other there were 9 people and a dog. Thedog yipped through the whole flight. Gee I wonder what wouldhave been a better inflight animal?

I final flight was rough and I cried the whole way, wasterrified for poor Cleo! We finally arrive, I getmy luggage and Cleo is no where in sight. Oh crap, where wasshe, had no way to know even if she made the connection. Werun to the info area to see if they can give us any info.They page the people from Cargo twice, and finally here comes someonewith her cage. I was never so glad to see her in my life,poor little thing. I could not take her out and comfort herbecause we had another half hour car ride to our new home.All I could do was to coo at her to soothe her. We finallyget to our new home, I open the cage door, she bounds out, does a fewbinkys and promply claims the house for hers...

She was none the worse for wear, but her poor mommy was!

I will never every travel with rabbits again on a plane. Thiswhole episode would have been perfect for that show"airline". At one point I was looking around for cameras,because the situation was so ridiculous, it really couldn't behappening.

Susan

I wonder if it has anything to do with vaccinations (or lack therof)?

I know some airlines do allow rabbits, as long as they fit in astandard carrier that can be placed under the seat.Unfortunately, the airline I used to fly to CT (US Airways) did notallow rabbits in the cabin at all, so I had to leave my babies athome. :(

Laura

Hey! This was my 1000th post! :)

I totally agree with all of you. Rabbits shouldhave the same privaleges as any cat or dog if boarding any plane. Iwould be extremly comfortable if my bun would be with me in thecabinif I can be able see her, and that my bun could see ME.

I never knew that dogs and cats were loose on the belly of the plane? Ithought they were locked in traveling cages? If not, they definatleyshould be.

It's so unbelievable how cats and dogs get to board planes, but notrabbits. Rabbits are so much quieter and don't cause that much trouble.Just like what Tina had said.

Only if I were older, I would sign a petietion xDD

:bouquet:

Inever knew that dogs and cats wereloose on the belly of the plane? I thought they were locked intraveling cages? If not, they definatley should be.

All Airlines require that all animals be securely contained in an"approved" carrier, for their own safety. (And if, heavenforbid!, an animal gets loose and does any damage, YOU the owner areheld responsable!) But it's good that, FINALLY,airlines are required to report all animal injuries, deaths and"incidents".

I recently researched this for one of the members that wanted to fly in for the Boathouse Party.

Delta is now the only airlines that will allow rabbits to travel in thecabin area. They must stay in their carrier and the carrier must fitunder the seat.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your pet can travel with you in the cabin for a fee of $50 one-way (tobe collected at check-in) when traveling within the United States,Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. Pets permitted in the cabininclude dogs, cats, birds, ferrets, rabbits, hamsters and guinea pigs.Monkeys, pot-bellied pigs, reptiles, frogs, mice, rats, and spiders arenot permitted. The following restrictions apply:

• Your pet must be small enough to fit comfortably in a kennel underthe seat directly in front of you. Maximum carry-on kennel dimensionsare determined by your flight. You must contactDeltaReservations to determine the appropriate kennelsize.
  • Your pet must remain inside the kennel (with door secured) while ina Delta boarding area (during boarding and deplaning), a Delta airportlounge, and while onboard the aircraft.
  • Your pet must be at least 8 weeks old.
  • You may not carry on more than one pet.
  • Your pet in-cabin counts as one piece of carry-on baggage.
Also, Delta limits the number of pets per flightto:

First Class

BusinessElite®

Main Cabin

Jim

that is who I flew with.... the website told me that the bunny couldfly with me ... that was until I got to the check in where the storychanged. It ended up being almost $200.00 canadian.

Nicole, sorry I spelt your name wrong. I'm at work typing too darn fast so I don't get caught on the website.

Soooska

irishmist wrote:
Jim

that is who I flew with.... the website told me that the bunny couldfly with me ... that was until I got to the check in where the storychanged. It ended up being almost $200.00 canadian.
Sounds like there was misinformation at Delta/Canada. Did they say whythey were refusing to honor their agreement. There are certainexceptions, but they would have to tell you why you were refused. I betthe employees didn't even know the proper policy.

I would have raised a big stink, because that is directly against theircontract of services as of May 2005/ Rule #106. No embargo period,proper kennel was used, proper fare was paid, etc. Were there any otheranimals on board besides the one yapping dog (they're supposed to allow2 animal in the cabin).

I've decided I'm really lucky to be dating apilot. With all the ups and downs (no pun intended) that comealong with that job at least I know that if I had to fly my animalssomewhere, they would go with me. Although, I think that Iwould absolutely have to need to fly them with no alternative todo it. I'm just not sure how much stress it wouldcause. When we were going to move to Alaska, I honestlywanted to drive the entire way from PA so the animals wouldn't have tofly.

I was just talking to Shawn and I told him about Susan'ssituation. His comment was that they were lucky it wasn't mebecause I probably would have walked out and slapped them with a lawsuit...and he's completely right!

So, here are my suggestions for anyone who might be traveling by air with any of their animals in the future:

1. Make sure the airline allows you to have the animal in thecabin with you, if that is what you expect (and that's what I suggestif possible). Get this in writing at the time of ticketpurchase.

2. Take the written agreement with you when you go to your flight.

3. If they refuse to honor your agreement, throw a bigfit! Tell them that you want your money back or for them topay for you to fly with another airline who will allow you to havethese animals under the conditions already agreed to.

4. If they refuse to do these things, threaten them with alaw suit. You have an agreement in WRITING! Andmake sure to follow through with this if necessary.

Jen

I was curious so looked up Air Canada's site, and found this:

Did you know that your pet can travel on Air Canada's services? Weoffer the following travel options to this important member of yourfamily, provided the regulations of the destination country permit:

• Travel in the cabin
  • Travel in the baggage compartment

These same options are available to Air Canada customers connecting toany of our Star Alliance partners and vice versa although only cats anddogs will be accepted in the cabin. Connections to any other airlineare not permitted.

Note: Pets cannot be accepted for travel either in the cabin or thebaggage compartment in/out of Australia or New Zealand due toGovernment regulations.

Pets can only travel via Cargo and all bookings must be made throughAirCanada Cargo office.

AirCanada Reservations for details as some exceptionsmay apply. [/list]

Pets in the cabin

Air Canada allows small household pets to travel in the cabinwith the customer, provided they are in a kennel small enough tofit under the seat. Please note that:

• requests to bring animals must be done within 24 hours of completingyour online booking. You must request youranimal bycalling the Air Canada Call Centre at 1-888-247-2262;
  • the number of kennels accepted is limited by aircraft type and mayrequire your reservation to be modified to accommodate your pet;
  • the pet kennel is part of the carry-on baggage allowance and mustconform to the carry-on size limitations of LxWxH - 55 cm x 40 cm x 23cm maximum or 21 1/2 in x 15 1/2 in x 9 in maximum;
  • dimensions of the kennel and weight and breed of your pet must be given at the time of your call;
  • pets must remain in the kennel, under the seat, at all times;
  • one pet kennel per person;
  • special service animals that assist customers with a disability areallowed in the cabin at no charge, provided they have a registeredtraining certificate.
  • Reptiles (including snakes and lizards) and animals such as rats,mice, ferrets, weasels, etc. cannot be carried in the cabin.

I'm wondering - since they don't specify exactly whata small household pet is - if they could argue that a rabbit is notallowed. They sort of specify what animals aren't allowed...but again,they say 'animals such as'...so if an airline employee were to say, 'wedon't allow rabbits in the cabin', would they arguatively be correctfrom a legal standpoint? I have found airlines to be a mixedbag...sometimes the employees will go out of their way to help acustomer, and other times dealing with them can be suchanightmare...

Hi Jen!

My father worked for the airlines for as long as I can remember (andhas retired from same). We had a cat that we transported several timesand we ran into difficulties on several occasions. My father alwaysknew what the policies were and would not back down if told otherwise.His first comment to the person behind the counter would be "I want tospeak with a manager or supervisor now, and tell them to bring a copyof the airline's contract of services and polices." I can't remeber anytime that he didn't get his way.

On Delta you're supposed to buy an actual ticket (preferably inadvance)for the animal to ensure that they will be allowed inthe cabin.The ticket must also be purchased directly fromDelta.

If you just show up without a ticket, they will probably advise thatthe animal must go as cargo. The alloted space for animals in the cabinmay have already been booked by others. My first question would be"Why? Your contract of services says it can go in the cabin!". Demand aviable reason and ask to speak to a manager if they can't provide one.I would also advise having a copy of their polices and contract ofservices with you.

When I had to travel down to my dads and i flewSpirit air, they would not allow Freddy in the cabin OR cargo. Theysaid that no airline was allowed to take rabbits on planed b/c they arenot considered domestic animals as per the FAA! ...such BS ....i!!

I flew Delta in February of this year.They originally told me that there were no problems with the rabbitflying with me. And told me all the steps I needed to take inorder to make a smooth boarding and flight. MY ticket wasbought in advance and I spoke to the airline twice beforeleaving. I was told to purchase my ticket for the rabbit whenchecking in at the airport.

When we were told that they were not gonna let Cleo fly withme. Trust me we raised hell. There were managersall over the place and they would not back down on her travelling inthe cabin. They only relented on paying the extra money onthe carrier they told me to purchase, they upped the price or gave methe wrong price when I was first quoted it on the second and third callto the airline. They even had the audacity to almost say thatI was lying about the price I was quoted. They were veryunreasonable and rude. They kept repeating that aggravatingline.... " I understand what you are saying sir, but..." Cleogot here in one piece so that is all that matters.

I will not fly Delta or any of their subsideraries again.

Latest posts

Back