long term effects for bowed leg?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzz16

Reaction score
A friend emailed me the other day asking if i could bunsit for her. She is thinking about maybe adopting one of my babies i found. Which would be a good home. Her rabbit was a feeder tiny lop and has makor aggression issues which she thinks might be linked to her rabbits injury. He had an abcess of his front leg that was drained. The leg is bowed though and she says he doesnt put weight on it and he didnt get aggressive until after.

Are there any long term bad effects to the leg being bowed or does she need to worry about more abcesses?

And i thought the agression may come from the meds ect.

Just being bowed wouldn't keep him from putting weight on the leg. I wonder if it still hurts to put weight on it, or if not doing so just became a habit. What to do next would depend on which it was. How does he react when the leg is touched? If so, is the reaction at a joint, or where? If you bunsat, you could check out these things & see if you can figure out where the problem is.

She said it's whenever she touches the leg or even his shoulder, so maybe phantom pains?

I'd say it either is still is infected somewhat, or it's arthritic. I think a vet visit is in order. It's clearly painful for some reason.

Could an abcess drain cause infection within bone? Theres no swelling or puss or smell so i didnt think of infection

It could be a low-grade infection, so no swelling outward & no opening, so no pus or smell. But I was just giving that as a possibility because it's where the infection was before. But whatever it is, touching it causes a reaction, which means it hurts,which means someone needs to find out what it is.

He may be coming to stay the weekend with me, depends on if she does go out of town. She said hes getting cage aggressive too to the point of drawing blood. Idk how she handles him or how much time she spends with him. Ill update if i find out anything else

I know when Spyro broke his toe, we taped it but somehow there was still infection in his bone somehow, so he needed a looooong period of antibiotics for it, so I would daresay it's probably infected and sore. The swelling had gone down from his break and it seemed almost normal again but he was holding his foot up and the soreness was the main indication that something was still wrong.

With Peace, where his abcess was on the inside of his hock next to the bone, it was a major concern as well. A vet visit is certainly in order.

Shes dropping him off tomorrow night and gave mer credit card and told me to call her if the vet wanted to go over 300 for anything. Ill be getting that in writing..seen too many court shows! So vets saturday and hppefully its not serious. His names murphy hell be in a different room from my buns as a precaution.

Kipcha wrote:
I know when Spyro broke his toe, we taped it but somehow there was still infection in his bone somehow, so he needed a looooong period of antibiotics for it, so I would daresay it's probably infected and sore. The swelling had gone down from his break and it seemed almost normal again but he was holding his foot up and the soreness was the main indication that something was still wrong.

With Peace, where his abcess was on the inside of his hock next to the bone, it was a major concern as well. A vet visit is certainly in order.

Can an infection in bone lead to amputation? I have mrsa so the drs were always worried about it entering the bone which would make it spread throughout body. Dont know if all bacterias were like that. Jopefully it doesnt lead to that

No, not all bacteria is resistant to antibiotics, thank goodness. It's good you're getting that $300 limit in writing. Vets often underestimate costs, so you might want to stop at an expected $200 bill, so if it goes over that, it'll be ok.

Mk thanks didnt think about them underestimating

After seeing him i had to bite my tongue. She explained how the abcess, which sounded more like a cyst. But as he grew the cyst in his armpit area pushed the leg out. What she described as holding his leg i dont know how she came to that conclusion. Hes splay legged.
And aggression wise..hes not real mobile and spent the better part of the night on my fiances lap. Teeth grinding and lop melts. Brushed some teeny mats and cleaned ears and did his nails. Trimmed around his fuzzy bum so he doesnt collect poop

Vets went ok. Eye drops for weepy eyes. Discussion of cage mods for splay leg. Age, and effects of growing with splay leg. No leg infection, hes worried about him noy bending the joints and how stiff they are in one leg. Teeth are fine though. The possibility of a cyst returning is small, as he said it was likely caused by hitting something. But he said no way to know if splay leg is from cyst or hrreditary.

Here is some pics from Murphy last night.

He would come up and plopdown by me for pets. If I stopped then he got up and went and laid down at other end of couch.
623.jpg

Floppy ears
625.jpg

627.jpg

6211.jpg

62.jpg

Kodi wants to be his friend!
6210.jpg

And this is best pic I could get of his leg, he can still pull it under him, but it rests outwards and he cant use it to walk well.
628.jpg

Any breed ideas? I was thinking fuzzy lop. He is supposedly around 4-5 months old she doesn't know

I'm glad the vet said most things are ok. If only there were some way to get him more mobile. And very strange that your friend thought he was aggressive. How does he react to smelling the presence of your other rabbits & other pets [as she's wanting one of them]?

Hes a super submissive bunny with sebi. Hes not fixed though. She took allora home though, seperate cages. And is going to bond them. Kinda lonely without allora here now

Latest posts

Back