Litter training help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mochismommy

Reaction score
My bunny is around 4 months old and we’ve had him for maybe 2 months and from the beginning we’ve been trying to litter train him. He has a large cat litter box with hay and bedding and he does use it except he also uses everywhere else. He especially loves to pee and poop on his blanket but he’ll go anywhere and he will press his butt up against the side of his enclosure and projectile pee outside of it lmao I have no idea what to do. We’ve tried putting all the poop into his box but he doesn’t care. We want to neuter him when it’s time and I’m hoping that will help but I need tips!

It's perfectly normal for a rabbit at that age to be inconsistent or unwilling to litter train. Once neutered, they practically train themselves. So be patient until he's neutered. And give several weeks after neuter for those hormones to dissipate.

When training, concentrate on the pee. A rabbit can become 100% with peeing in the litter box. It's the urine that smells so bad, so it's good that that can be consistent. The poos will follow (mostly). It is the rare rabbit that will be 100% with poos.

A few tips would be to avoid having blankets around during training. They like to pee on soft things, so the only "soft" area should be the litter box.

The way the box is set up and the size of it are also important. Check the link for more detail.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/litter-training.html

Yep, getting fixed should help tremendously. He is old enough to be fixed and litter box training before that has almost no effect and can be Extremely frustrating! So get that surgery, you will not regret it. Also remove all soft items and anything that can absorb urine as rabbits like to mark their territory and look for absorbent materials to do so. This includes cardboard and anything of the like.

Back