Litter training help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stellalop

Reaction score
My bunny is 1 years old, I've had her for 5 weeks. She has a litter tray in her pen which she uses fine, sometimes poops outside it but generally uses it and uses it always for peeing.
Outside of her pen she is allowed in the rest of the room. She didn't pee anywhere else the first 2 weeks I had her, but now she's started peeing on the carpet in a specific spot. About 5 days ago, I got a litter tray to put there but it's not really worked. She used it a couple times but now hasn't in a few days. All she's done is continue to just pee around the box! I'm really struggling as I sit there watching her waiting and the second I see she's about to pee, I try and move her into her tray but she doesn't care, she just pees as move her.
I've tried using vinegar and water but she doesn't care!
What else can I do? What am I doing wrong?
She is spayed etc

The carpeted area she started peeing on is going to have to be thoroughly cleaned (with some enzyme cleaner to remove any residual urine odor). Whatever enticed her to go there originally is now compounded with the addition of her urine. While we may clean an area like that to the point where we cannot smell anything, she may still be able to smell something and that will cause her to go there again and again.

I'd suggest completely blocking off that area (using another ex-pen, perhaps) to keep her from being anywhere near it. She's still relatively new to your home, so hopefully this can be nipped in the bud. Keep her totally away from that area and see if she returns to normal/good potty habits with the litter box that is in her pen.

While that area is blocked off, be sure the extra litter box is removed from there and then steps can be taken to remove any residual odor. There may have been something there from time prior that enticed her to go there to begin with. It could even be in the padding below the carpet.

The carpeted area she started peeing on is going to have to be thoroughly cleaned (with some enzyme cleaner to remove any residual urine odor). Whatever enticed her to go there originally is now compounded with the addition of her urine. While we may clean an area like that to the point where we cannot smell anything, she may still be able to smell something and that will cause her to go there again and again.

I'd suggest completely blocking off that area (using another ex-pen, perhaps) to keep her from being anywhere near it. She's still relatively new to your home, so hopefully this can be nipped in the bud. Keep her totally away from that area and see if she returns to normal/good potty habits with the litter box that is in her pen.

While that area is blocked off, be sure the extra litter box is removed from there and then steps can be taken to remove any residual odor. There may have been something there from time prior that enticed her to go there to begin with. It could even be in the padding below the carpet.
Thanks so much for this! I think it's my fault as I didn't notice the first time she peed there as the carpet is dark and it wasn't very much.
I will try these tips and hopefully will work. Thanks again.

Ok so she's just peed in another area of carpet away from this original place. I don't really know what to do, should I keep her in the pen?
I want her to be able to free roam my house but can't if she's going to pee everywhere!
It's totally my fault, I thought she was litter trained since she uses the one in her pen fine so I didn't pay enough attention. Annoyed at myself.
If anyone has advice I'd be very thankful!!

Offering too much space too quickly can lead to potty accidents. I'd suggest confining her to her pen for awhile. Keep her confined for perhaps a couple weeks. With her, it seems you'll have to take things more slowly. When you do expand her area, it will need to be done in small increments.

When it comes time to expand, just offer, say... 10 sq ft extra. See how she does with that extra space. Let her have use of that space for another week provided she remains 100% consistent with peeing in her box.

Continue with that trend of incremental space increases over time. Hopefully she'll remain consistent with those small increases. If she has a setback, then decrease the space again.

Back