Litter outside of nest box

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FogCity

Reaction score
I recently adopted a NZ from a buddy who lives on a farm. He raises his rabbit communal style outside in a huge fenced in area that has an underground area for shelter. When his does have litters they do so without a nest box. The one that I got was pregnant. I put the next box in the cage. When I got up this morning there was a nest outside the box with 8 kits in it. The kits were alive but cold. I transferee the nest to the box and brought them inside to warm up. When they warm up I plan on putting the nest box back in the cage. I guess there is a chance that she wont know how to use the nest box and wont feed her kits. Any suggestions on how to give this situation the best fighting chance?

I moved everyone to a large hutch which has a partial solid floor I use for my flemish. It doesn't get that cold out here so they should be ok as long as she nurses...as of this morning she had not touched them.

You will know if shes nursing in another day or so. newborns usually cannot last two days without being fed

Latest posts

Back