lining a cage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheekygirls

Reaction score
hi to anyone who can answer my question, what isthe best thing to line the bottom of a rabbits hutch? ive triedallsorts from sawdust to straw and various other things, they just makea mess, i need to put something in that will make it easy to clean themout, i even tried lino. please help, i have 6 rabbits.kerry.:hbunnysmell

I don't think there's anything in the world thatcan stop them from being a mess ;)but as far as minimizingthe mess--good question! I've used straw over wood shavings (notcedar!!!!), but it's still messy. Or just plain straw. My personalfavorite solution is to have cages with wire-mesh bottoms so everythingfalls through, and then I can clean the underneath part easily. But Ihave outdoor hutches. I do believe there are cages with wire bottomsand trays underneath, though, for if you have indoor or barn bunnies.

Good luck!

Rose

Are these indoor or outdoor bunnies? Ihave indoor bunnies. Their floor is, well, the vinyl floor oftheir bedroom. I have wood pellet litter in their litterboxesand hay in hayracks above them. Personally, I hate wirebottom cages. I used one for a little bit and it was a realpain to get the dirty hay out, and strung together poops were hard toclean off the wire too. But they are more convenient if youhave unlittertrained buns, especially outside.

thanx for your reply, i have outdoor rabbits andits in the winter when the weathers bad, just something to make iteasier, i will try the mesh on the bottom thanx.:bunnydance:

I had a wire bottom cage with a tray for my bunas she was litter box training... just made it easier. I lined the traywith plain newspaper... which did not smell and was easy to clean up. Ipicked up a layer every couple days. I also had a litter box in thecage for her and grass mats to rest on to prevent sores. However, shehas decided they are for her to shred.... each to their own I say.

cheekygirls wrote:
thanx for your reply, i have outdoor rabbits and its in thewinter when the weathers bad, just something to make it easier, i willtry the mesh on the bottom thanx.:bunnydance:

I have a two-part hutch that works well: 3x5x2, and 3 ft. off theground. 2/3 of the cage is wire-bottomed, wire in front, and wood sidesand roof. 1/3 is a sleeping box that is totally enclosed in wood exceptfor a little roundopening for them to get in (and a woodendoor on the outside for ME to get in). If they are especially messy,you can put wire on the bottom and a board over that, then just pullout the board when needed and shake everything through.

Rose

Latest posts

Back