Lila had her baby!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iLuvMyLilBuns

Reaction score
I've posted many posts so I thought I would make a new one letting everyone know that Lila gave birth to one little kit last night, October 2nd :D I looked through the nest and im pretty 100% sure there is only one.

Is this normal? It is her first litter and she is a Holland lop, but will the baby survive without siblings?

Any advice will be great! He/she is warm and healthy, Lila made a great nest! Pics will be posted soon! :)

I always wonder what normal really is. When I was in High School, a "normal" family had 2.4 kids. Never did meet any normal families as all the ones I knew had whole kids. Sometimes, a first litter can be small, but also have read of huge first litters. Problem with living in a random universe.

Lila just had a kit on the wire!! The kit is very skinny compared to the other one and it's cold. I put it in the nestbox with the other kit. I thought rabbits had the babies all at one time? She had her first kit before 6 am and its 11 am when I went out and found the second kit on the wire. I hope it survives.

I've discovered that does usually know when a kit is either DOA or won't make it...and they usually (tho not always) have it on the wire. My Polish doe had two on the wire and one in the nestbox. I could tell that there was nothing wrong with the little one she had in the nestbox but the other two just looked "different"...and dead. Make sure it's still alive before leaving it in the nestbox because ants instinctively will find dead bodies. Sorry to be crude, but it's true.

I'm glad she was pregnant!

Let her out. Rabbits don't babysit in the wild, they feed and leave so predators don't realise there are some easy meals in there. She needs to be able to get away from them.

CONGRATS on the babies. I have had litters where there were as few as 2 and litters where there were 8 in (both in first litters, and both to Mini Rex). Actually the doe from the litter of 2, her first litter was the one with 8 (or 9 can not remember exactly) babies in it. Shiny Things was in that litter :)

It really can vary from doe to doe. With my californians the biggest litter that I ever got had 6 babies in it. That is NOT NORMAL with that breed. With that breed they are supposed to have big litters, not small like I kept getting.

Latest posts

Back