Licking and tugging at clothing while being held

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackson

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have enjoyed reading about all your rabbits
I am a newbie and have only had my dwarf lop, Jackson for a week
He appears to be ok with being held etc enjoys having his neck rubbed only all of a sudden he starts tugging or chewing my clothes, I don't mind so much but sometimes appears quite rough and only when I have him in my arms or lap.
I have read lots of stuff but it doesn't actually answer my question?
We have him indoors in a cage but I let him out for an hour or so in the morning and for 2 to 3 hours in the afternoon, I have just bought another run for him as he nearly escaped the one we have, so hoping we can let him out more often when this arrives
Any feed back would be greatly appreciated, new and want to try and do the best for the new member of our family

When I'm holding Toby he'll sometimes start to lick my clothes then tug and pull at them. To me, this has always meant that he's had enough and wants down. It could be different for other buns but that's always how I've seen it!

When Layla starts nibbling or digging at my clothes I put my hand over her head (on top of her face and covering it) and she stops. Then I release her and if she does it again I put my hand on her again. If she does it a third time I do the hand over the face, but then put her back in her cage so she can use the litterbox or get food/water if she wants. Sometimes I think it's just pushing the boundaries, other times I think it's wanting attention, and sometimes I think she doesn't want to be held like others have said..

Thanks guys. Sometimes Jackson does this tugging after only a minute of petting time, suppose time will tell we have only had him a week....bless

My kids normally do a dig and nibble when they want down. I learned the hard way that it is risky to ignore the signs.

I was brushing Houdini and I thought he was just annoyed because he doesn't like getting his bottom brushed. I ignored it and kept brushing. After his third attempt he peed on me and his bunwife who was also sitting in the chair with us! Sometimes it means I GOTTA POTTY! :)

Good point minilophop, thanks all advice I am taking on board
Thanks to all that have responded. I'm glad I'm not alone this site is fab for asking questions especially me as I am new to bunnies....

LaylaLop wrote:
When Layla starts nibbling or digging at my clothes I put my hand over her head (on top of her face and covering it) and she stops. Then I release her and if she does it again I put my hand on her again. If she does it a third time I do the hand over the face, but then put her back in her cage so she can use the litterbox or get food/water if she wants. Sometimes I think it's just pushing the boundaries, other times I think it's wanting attention, and sometimes I think she doesn't want to be held like others have said..

Hmm... this could be a similar to what Hamilton is doing. He does the same thing to me, but only with a particular pair of jeans... it's rather peculiar.

Do you cover her eyes too? I've always just put my hand on top of his head, but that seems to only aggravate him more. =[

Latest posts

Back