Lester won't go in his litterbox

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

momto1

Reaction score
what can I do to get him more comfortable with his box. He only pees in one corner of his cage and the design of the cage allows for the urine to get stuck in the metal slabs that hold his pan up and then it all runs down and drips on my floor. So I thought perfect idea lets get him a litter box. So I got one from the petstore today and installed it and put the litter in and he looked at the box, looked at me, looked at the box than continued munching on his hay. So after he was done I gently picked him up and put him in, all the while stroking him gently and he freaked out and flew out of the litter box. Now he won't even go near the box at all (but it's only been in for about an hour).

How can I get him more used to the box?

A cat litter box works best. Whenever Lester pees outside the box soak it up with a paper towel and put the paper towel in the litter box. When he poos, put it in the box too.

Also, put hay in the litter box. They potty where they eat. So try that too. Also, if the cage is big enough or too big, use more than one litter box.

Hope this helps :) April

Thank you for your suggestions I will try putting hay in his box, maybe that will help.

well now he is starting to use a different corner. He was using the corner next to the box. So I put his hay dish in that corner so he couldn't use that corner. I am hoping if he doesn't have any other corners he'll use his box. I'm just trying to find a way to get him to go somewhere where it won't end up on my floor.

I looked at cat boxes but they would take up like half of his cage the only cat boxes I can find are the extra large boxes which are HUGE. I have gone to all the petstores and also like k-mart and wal-mart by us and they only had the extra large ones.

At petsmart they have real little kitten litter boxes. Thats what I started with. Their half the size of a regular litter box.

They also sell cage gaurds so the pee will stay in the cage. It goes along the bottom of cage. not sure where to buy it. Petsmart maybe.

edit: are you using any kind of bedding? That can confuse them too. Don't use bedding in the bottom of the cage. Use cardboard instead.

SweetSassy wrote:
At petsmart they have real little kitten litter boxes. Thats what I started with. Their half the size of a regular litter box.

They also sell cage gaurds so the pee will stay in the cage. It goes along the bottom of cage. not sure where to buy it. Petsmart maybe.

edit: are you using any kind of bedding? That can confuse them too. Don't use bedding in the bottom of the cage. Use cardboard instead.
I'll have to look for the kitten one but I only saw the one size box. Yeah I have kiln dried pine on the bottom of his cage but he does not sit in it there is a plastic grating so the poop and urine just falls down. I use something called all pet (basically like peline pine) in his litter box. I can't get a urine guard for his cage my husband says he can probably find a way to fix it so the urine doesn't get on the lip of the pan holder and just drip down but I would like to litterbox train him (atleast to pee).

Can you soak some urine up from the bottom of the pan with a paper towel and put it in his litter box? So he knows to pee in there.

They have tons of those little pans at my petsmart. To bad you didn't live in ohio. Lol.

When I had young buns I started with litter trays in all the corners because then they couldn't choose another corner. He will work it out, he is just confused. Then I gradually cut down the litter trays when I figured out which ones they were and weren't using.

Soaking up the wee and putting poos in the litter box will help, as well having hay in the litter tray. Another thing to do is clean anywhere else he has weed with a white distilled vinegar solution so eradicate the smell of his urine.

Be patient. He is super duper young, he'll get there in time.

I wouldn't get major with it, I would place some poops in the box, scatter them and even anything that smells tlike him in it within a couple weeks time, not right away.:D

Latest posts

Back