legally changing your name

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabby

Reaction score
So I have always hated my middle name, and no I will not share it with you, but I will tell you why.

I do not hate the name on other people, and it is not a bad name for others, the reason I do not like it, I will have to give you the shortest my life in a short as possible version..

my mother married a man who had been married prior, and he already had 1 child, who he named after himself (yes you heard me right) my older sister is 11 years older than me. I knew of her but no more than that.

When they went to name me, he wanted to name me the exact same name, my mother said no you have one already, kept the middle name and gave me a different first name. They divorced when I was 7 months old, my mother was living at her parrents house when they divorced and he would go there for visatation for a short time, then he moved out of state. my mother and I lived there till I was 19,

He never tried to contact us or me, never paid child support or anything. When I was 13 he sent me a letter and some gifts, told me he had been searching for me and could not find me.

I'm sorry but BS because I was at the very same address and had not moved. he wrote and called off and on for 2 years. I got mad at him on my 14th b-day because he called just as my guests were leaving, and I wanted to get off the phone to say goodbye to them, and for him to call back later.

He never called back. When i tried to contact him again, the number was disconnected.

when I was 25 or 26 he contacted me again. was quite rude but yes I talked to him and tried once again to find out who he is.

in january of 2007 I got a phone call "hello i think i'm your sister, and wanted to talk to you you can reach me at ********"

mind you inthe entire time I had contact with him, he never told me I hadsibblings.

turns out I have 2 "baby sisters" they are 25 and 27, the oldest has the SAME middle name, he wanted to name the younger one the same as well, but since they both have the same mother she said "you have 1, i'm not naming the second one that."

Little did she know he already had 2 other children, and now 4 children(at least now that *I* know of) When their mother found a pic of his oldest he told her it was his neice.

So that gives 3 of us the exact same middle name, and all 3named after him(his middle name).

He has been a dead beat to all of us, and I have learned things about him from my younger sisters, plus just from having contact with him that made me decide I never want to have contact with him again.

Any rate opinions, I'm changing my name reguardless but wanted to ask.

My husband said he thinks it's silly to change, I do not, I want no asociation with the man, including names.

There is a spot on the name change form for "Reason of change" And I'm trying to figure out the best way to word it> any ideas suggestions?

wow, that is crazy... I am so sorry for this whole situation.

As for the reason I would say bad connotation or bad connection to absent father or something like that.

Do you know what you're going to change it too?

tundrakatiebean wrote:
wow, that is crazy... I am so sorry for this whole situation.

As for the reason I would say bad connotation or bad connection to absent father or something like that.

Do you know what you're going to change it too?
Yes GabrielleJordan would be the new name.

Disassociate my name with a non-custodial parent.

It's not a hard thing to do - my dad's first name was written wrong by an old doctor years ago - eventually they found the birth certificate mistake and they changed it... no biggy - however, it's maybe a bit harder now.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Disassociate my name with a non-custodial parent.

It's not a hard thing to do - my dad's first name was written wrong by an old doctor years ago - eventually they found the birth certificate mistake and they changed it... no biggy - however, it's maybe a bit harder now.

Does "Disassociate my name with a non-custodial parent" still apply when the child is 33? not sure how that works. any rate one the girls I work with is changing her name, she got divorced about 2 years ago and decided she now wantsto go back to her maiden name so she picked up the form for me while she was there(at court house).

i have to fill out form, mt name, name wished, DOB etc and Reason for change.

Provide marrage cert. and Birth Cert.

and turn it in.. not sure what happens from there, I was told that they would then mail me a "packet" with info of what to do next.

I know an add has to be put in the paper, and run for X time, little fuzzy on the rest.

Yep, I changed my (last) name when I was 19. I changed it from my dad's name to my mom's maiden name.Partly because I was mad at my dad but mostly because I feel more connected to my mom's family, this is who I am.
I just put "personnal reason's" on my form and they were fine with that. But things like that are pretty relaxed up here.

My brother changed it about right before I got married. So about 2 and a half years ago. My mom helped him so I will ask and see what she says.

I just want to say thinking you for all the information, it is all helpful in it's own way, and it helps to know others out there understand. THank you

how does this sound

The main reason I would like to change my name is, I want to Disassociate from a deadbeat father. My middle name is the female version of his middle name, he also named 3 of his 4children with the same middle name, and I want my own name.

Sound good?

Neglectful, instead of deadbeat might work better. He was neglectful to you, thankfully you had your mum :) but they don't have to know that.

I, personally, would probably use 'identity' as the last word, but that's just what I would do.

I think it tells them very clearly what they need to know. I don't know how easy it is to change your name, but I hope they do it for you.

Flashy wrote:
Neglectful, instead of deadbeat might work better. He was neglectful to you, thankfully you had your mum :) but they don't have to know that.

I, personally, would probably use 'identity' as the last word, but that's just what I would do.

I think it tells them very clearly what they need to know. I don't know how easy it is to change your name, but I hope they do it for you.

yes 'identity' does sound better doesn't it? But hey that's why I'm asking opinions, to see how it sounds.

Know what I like better is "neglectful deadbeat", which when i look them both up both fit.

he was neglectful in the fact that he had vistation rights and he just didn't even try, and he was a deadbeat because he did notpay child support...

Thanks

Could you go for something like that

The main reason I would like to change my name is, I want to Disassociate from my neglectful, deadbeat father and move forward from painful childhood experiences. My middle name is the female version of his middle name, he also named 3 of his 4children with the same middle name,and I want my own identity, for my own peace of mind.

Ha ha, I like playing with things like this, I hope you don't mind.

Flashy wrote:
Could you go for something like that

The main reason I would like to change my name is, I want to Disassociate from my neglectful, deadbeat father and move forward from painful childhood experiences. My middle name is the female version of his middle name, he also named 3 of his 4children with the same middle name,and I want my own identity, for my own peace of mind.

Ha ha, I like playing with things like this, I hope you don't mind.
your good at wording things... i know who i'm pm'ing for wording advice next time i need it;-)

drive a hard bargine, ok not new but very cute Here is Gypsy as a baby, with my dearly departedPromise

2322101605_071aae2a3d_o.jpg

Story and Donovan

2210249293_0ecf31a217.jpg

sorry I haven't uploaded many pics recently..

so I took my paper work into the court yesterday.. now starts the waiting game... i should be receiving a packet in the mail in a few days with info on what to do with it. .. waiting... waiting...waiting....

My boyfriend became a U.S citizen in January and legally changed his name as well. He added a "normal" middle name. I know that the process was pretty simple to get it approved. But, the part that sucks is telling the whole world of the name change and filling out more paperwork at SSN, DMV, Credit Card companies, work, and basically anything that bears the old name.

My BF was lazy about it and he finally got his new Drivers License so he just has to call the bank and credit cards. But, yeah as long as your on top of it the sooner that middle name will diminish into thin air :)

Latest posts

Back