Leaving the Cage Door Open

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my husband and I are lucky enough to have a 3bedroom house all to ourselves so our bunnies can have a bedroom! Oncethe hallway gets carpeted, they will hang out with us everywhere else(they are scared to travel on the hardwood right now).

In our old place Jordi was allowed to roam everywhere but you have toreally bunny proof your house because she has habits of wire chewingand persian carpet chewing. She loves being able to sprint up and downthe hallway though!

BunnyLover wrote:
Isn't it amazing how much trouble they can get into in justa couple of minutes without supervision?
I was in the backyard with Pebbles, and the mailman came tothe front door. The few minutes I left Pebblesalone, she crawled under our fence into ourneighbors yard. I didn't think there wasenough space to get through. So I went over to theneighbors side but couldn't find Pebbles.:run: I came back to myyard, and she must have crawledback, and sitting there,wondering where did Igo? :angel:

Here is the fencethat Pebbles crawledunder. Problem has been fixed, withbricksplacedunder the fence....

Rainbows! :D

Hi, that Pebbles is real LOOKER, maybe she has a Bunny/boyfriend.

Look at that face she doesn't look like she can get into any trouble.

Soooska

black_jack wrote:
my buns are house buns but they are out 24hrs aday. why make them sleep and lock them in where they poop andwee?

My buns go to the loo (mostly) in there hutch and sleep on the carpet in our back room all night....

anybody else give there buns this freedom?
Willow is out of her condo (which is a good size to begin with) all dayfrom about 7am to 12am (as long as someone is home), and has fullaccess to all areas of the single-floor house except the bathroom andthe closets in the bedrooms. She is great about using herlitters both in the condo and the one off the kitchen.:great:It is awesome having her wander in and out from one room to anotherdepending if she wants some "me time" or "you time". She isto the point that if you have to put her away for a while she's ok withit since she knows she will get let out soon.

The only thing preventing her from being out full time is that at 6 or7 months of age, she has a habbit of pulling/digging and if notsupervised, eating the carpet.

i actually leave the door open intentionallynow. the first time i did this however, Phoenix went superactive on me at 2 AM, running around in circles. so i decidedthat it would be best to keep him in his cage during the night (thiskept up for a few days). then one night i accidentally leftthe cage door unlocked (must've been a hectic day).suprizingly, he didn't make a peep the whole night. i guesshe learned that if he didn't go haywire on me, he could have thefreedom to be out of his cage. and he's been a very politefree bun ever since. :)

Johncdn wrote:
black_jack wrote:
my buns arehouse buns but they are out 24hrs a day. why make them sleepand lock them in where they poop and wee?

My buns go to the loo (mostly) in there hutch and sleep on the carpet in our back room all night....

anybody else give there buns this freedom?
The only thing preventing her from being out full time is that at 6 or7 months of age, she has a habbit of pulling/digging and if notsupervised, eating the carpet.

I'm having the same problem with both of mine. Plus they'lloccasionally chew on the doors and such too. Since I live inan apartment, I'm trying to make sure they don't destroy it toomuch. My hubby and I are hoping to buy a house within thenext year, and we'll be looking for one with hardwood floors in thebedrooms so there's no carpet to tempt the buns. Then we'll(hopefully) be able to let them stay out 24/7, at least in one room.

I have fallen asleep with them out. Usually either Jameswakes me up or the bunnies do, with the sound of chewing on somethingthey shouldn't.

For now, they get play time twice a day and usually are out for 3+ hours.

i live in an apartment too. Phoenix'scage is on the balcony so that's probably why i don't have to worryabout him and the furniture.

Latest posts

Back