Leash

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASKidwai

Reaction score
I let Bugs and Bunny (B 'N' B) out in my lawn where they love to chase each other and generally have fun. But when it is time to put them in they don't get caught and I am at a loss how to catch them. :X:X:X:X

Someone suggested a leash... so ?

Yeah you can put a harness on them, just go to the pet shop and get one in the small animal section for bunnies. Don't put a collar and leash on them like you would a dog.

thanks but here in india there aren't many pet shops :grumpy::grumpy:so shall i get one made?

Many bunnies don't like leashes and have severely hurt themselves while freaking out on a leash.

Even those that like leashes don't generally like being pulled around or "caught" with them. I wouldn't put them on a leash and use that to get a hold of them when they're out for play time because they will likely freak out when they feel the leash tighten.

If you do decide to use a leash, make sure you spend a lot of time getting them used to it before you put any pressure on the leash.

Here is a great Lagomorph Library Link: Harnesses and Leashes

As previously stated though, it's more of a tool to keep the bun within easy reach, rather than guide their motion. No pressure is a good thing :)

yeah but they already had a crude leash of rope but they chewed through it straight away.
one accepted it unhappily while the other freaked out ran

into the hedges and entangled his leash in the stems and almost died:runningrabbit::runningrabbit::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::sickbunny:

Some of my rabbits will go back to their cages if I shake the pellet bag and put some in their bowl. Only works if they are hungry. Most of mine will go back after they've played long enough (hours).

Do they sell exercise pens there? You can let them play in a large one or connect 2 to make a really large one.

If you have 2 or more people with you, you can herd your rabbits into an open pen and then close it.

Training them with a treat is a great idea.

I have mine trained to happily go back to their cages when I present a treat. They hop in the cage and stick their noses in the food dish expecting treats at night time.

I started by just getting them to follow the treat. Get it close enough for them to smell it and get excited. Then after they have followed it for a bit, give them a tiny piece. Keep this up until they are at the cage, and try to lead them in with the treat. After leading them with a treat for a little while, they should start getting the idea and start running for the cage ahead of you when you bring out the treat container.

Or, you can try making a play pen to contain them to a smaller area of your yard. You could even design one that attaches to their cage.

-Dawn

I assume the yard they're running in is enclosed? If so, I'd just coordinate their dinner time with their cage time. Eventually, you'll just have to open the cage and they'll come running to hop in! (Bunnies are HIGHLY motivated by food. ;))

However, if you still want to train them to use a harness and leash, you need todo itSLOWLY. I think of it like training a horse to take a saddle. You don't just pop the saddle on, mount up and expect the horse to follow your leg and hand commands. You're more likely to get bucked off! Instead, most horse trainers start very slow. The rub the horse with the saddle pad, then they eventually progress to laying the pad briefly across the horse's back, then finally leaving it there, then adding the saddle, etc. This process takes days or even weeks and it can be months before a rider even attempts to get up on the horse's back.

So, the same goes for bunny harness training. You need to get the bunny used to the harness. Let him see it, sniff it, taste it, etc. Then you can progress to putting it on him and leaving him in it for a few minutes (inside his cage, of course). Then, once he's okay with that. Add the leash and let him drag it around inside your house for a bit. Let him see it's no threat. Just go EXTREMELY slow (especially because your bunnies had a bad experience with it!).

As for putting pressure on the leash, again, that's something that you develop in time. While Gus doesn't exactly come when you tug the leash (he's more likely to look at you and then hop the other way... :p), he certainly doesn't spazz out when you tug on it and in several instances, I've been very glad that I've been able to put the brakes on him before he hopped out in front of a car or ducked under a fence!

Most importantly, the rabbit has to know the leash isn't a threat and slowly get him used to the feeling of it andhe'll eventually become fine with it.

Hope that helps!

Rue

Our Yard is actually 300 sq. m Orchard/Garden so umm, they are hardly going to be tempted by food as they've got lots of yummy food outside as it is.

I just cant bear to keep them inside the cage all the time as they look so forlorn inside.

So, is there anyway of training them (without food as its ineffective in our Orchard) . I personally dont like a leash and after the advice given here i'm more reluctant to do so.
So what should i do ???

thanks for all your helpful repkies
:thanks:

I would build a small pen in the yard if you can. I built one with the keep out rabbit fencing, haha. You can do the same thing in your house if need be.

Let me see if I can find the pic for you.;)

I found it:

DSCN0491.jpg

Btw, I wouldn't do a harness/leash either, I had a bad experience with that, never heard a scream before that...:shock:

THANKS, WHAT A WONDERFUL THING. SHULD I GET IT COVERED AS KITES (BIRDS OF PREY) FLY LOW. :thanks::thanks:

If you have predators in the area and can't watch the buns at all times, you may indeed wish to see if there's a way to cover the roof of it, even if only with something like chicken wire. You can also use predator deterrents if you can't make a cover. We had an issue with a hawk after our chickens, and found that something as simple as hanging pie tins from the fance posts and around the enclosure was sufficiently disturbing to keep the bird away.

ASKidwai wrote:
THANKS, WHAT A WONDERFUL THING. SHULD I GET IT COVERED AS KITES (BIRDS OF PREY) FLY LOW. :thanks::thanks:

Thanks! Glad you love the idea, I thought it was pretty cool, myself.:D

Oh,could you put your location in your profile? That would help a ton:).

If you are in an area with lots of predators, then I would just build an indoor exercise pen. It would be like mine, just inside. You could use the organize cubes we use for cages and go 2 cubes tall and tie them together with the zip ties.;)

ok, i will put the location.
i think i'll get it covered coz dad won't allow them inside:(
i'll try and get a pen.

I think you've got a great plan! I think they will love their pen, and the lid will make it super safe for them.

I still think you should try to find some sort of treat that your rabbits go nuts over. My buns will do anything for a bit of dried fruit or granola. No matter what they are eating, they will drop it to get a bit of treat.

I have yet to meet a rabbit that is not food motivated. Doesn't mean they don't exist, but quite rare I'm assuming. You just need to find the treat that motivates them.

Fresh fruits as a treat work very well too. Just make sure they aren't getting over loaded with treats. My buns only get treats maybe a couple times a week and only a very small piece when they do get it.

Feel free to post some pictures when you are done making your pen, I'm sure everyone would like to see what you come up with!

-Dawn

Glad to see there was already a topic on this! It a little cold outside for me to start taking my little one out, but I brought home a leash from the pet store today and put it on him so he can get used to it indoors. He is nipping at it a little bit, but I will continue watching and working with him.

One thing I will say as a cautionary note is: try not to use a leash with a rabbit unless it's also within a fairly enclosed/secure area. We used to take my rabbit Petey out on a leash in my front yard, which is NOT fenced. One day while we were out, my neighbor's dog jumped their fence and was on the rabbit in seconds. The rabbit saw/heard the dog coming before I did and tried to run, got entangled in the leash, and that was all it took for the dog to be able to grab him. THANKFULLY the dog was a retriever and didn't actually try to kill him. But the fright the rabbit experienced almost killed him; he was screaming like you wouldn't believe and laid on his side panting and twitching for a worryingly long time after the incident. So... yeah. Remember that on a leash doesn't necessarily mean "safe" and a pretty major accident can happen in the blink of an eye.

Latest posts

Back