Kit or adult bunny companion

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BronsonsHuman

Reaction score
My gorgeous bun Bronson is a six month old mini-lop. He was neutered tree weeks ago and I want to get him a companion. I've read a lot about bonding and know to get him a spayed female friend. I am wondering about age, should I get an adult female or three month old friend? I know to keep them apart until his remaining hormones fade. I just want him to be happy and bond for life with his new friend!

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1404902695.979046.jpg

You're better off going with an adult in my opinion. When buying/adopting an adult, you already know the temperament and personality of that rabbit so you can better choose a match for your current boy. If you get a younger rabbit, often they won't be spayed, they still have to go through the hormonal teenage phase and you really have no idea what their adult personality is going to be like. While you stand a pretty good chance of being able to bond him with a younger rabbit, you will probably have to wait for the younger rabbit to go through the teenage phase, and probably get her spayed (bonds where one or both bunnies aren't desexed aren't that common but can be done, not as easy though). If you adopt an adult rabbit from a shelter, the bunny will already be spayed, the foster parents/shelter will be able to let you know the personalities and you can probably take your bunny along for "dates" to see who he gets along best with. Young rabbits tend to get along with everyone, until they become teenagers ;)

Also, Bronson is a cutie :D

Thank you so much for that response!
I'm not able to adopt a shelter bunny because the local shelter doesn't approve bunnies for apartments. He's got a big clean cage, is litter trained and has run of the place when we're home (electrical cords are all safely away). I don't buy from stores but got him from a breeder who shows bunnies and didn't want him (crazy!!)
She has a new kit and an older doe who is finished her show days, neither are spayed yet so I'll Do that straight away.

Thanks again for your advice!

After the doe is spayed, give her around 3-4 weeks for hormones to subside, before her adult hormone-free personality comes through. :)

I was extremely lucky - my neutered boy and unspayed girl bonded closely, and their bond remained during and after her spay, but I was very worried that her personality would change severely while she matured.

Thank you so much for that response!
I'm not able to adopt a shelter bunny because the local shelter doesn't approve bunnies for apartments. He's got a big clean cage, is litter trained and has run of the place when we're home (electrical cords are all safely away). I don't buy from stores but got him from a breeder who shows bunnies and didn't want him (crazy!!)
She has a new kit and an older doe who is finished her show days, neither are spayed yet so I'll Do that straight away.

Thanks again for your advice!

Ahh, fair enough. I just wasn't sure if you planned on spaying or not since you hadn't mentioned so was the reason I mentioned the difference between shelter and buying elsewhere. They breeder should hopefully have a good idea of the personality of the adult female for you to tell whether or not she would be a good fit.

Buns that complement each other tend to do well. :)

For example, Felix is more cautious, where Clem is laid back. He marks territory with his chin, she never bothers. He's a big groomer, she loves being groomed. :p There's normally one more dominant bun of the two.

Latest posts

Back