Kit color

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laylabunny

Reaction score
My Lionhead doe delivered 6 healthy kits on Sunday. 5 are what I assumed to be REW and one is a smoke pearl. However, I noticed today that 2 of the "REW's" have a strange cast to them. It may be too early to tell yet, but are you seeing what I'm seeing? I see a slight, but distinct difference between them and the other kits.

It's not the best picture, but the only one I could get that picked up the cast. They are so close to being white. But you can see the bluish/gray cast along the back. Their ears look a bit darker too.

0614111446.jpg

The mother is a smoke pearl and the father is a REW. I'm already at kind of a loss because the father doesn't have dilution anywhere on his pedigree. The only way I can explain how he threw a smoke pearl is one part of his ped where he has 3 generations of REW.

The mother doesn't have a ped, but her parents were a blue and a siamese sable. She carries REW.

I probably should point out that this kit is a double maned lionhead, and for those who have never seen one it is normal for them not to have hair on their sides or neck. It comes in as wool later :)

I'm just not sure if it's just my imagination that I see color on this kit or that I'm just wishing it's not REW lol I've had so many lately!

They are definitely starting to look like sable points! It's just interesting that my friend has a lot of sable points in her litters and hers always seem so much darker. But then again I don't see pictures of them until they are around a week old. I was just surprised at how close to white these guys started out as! :)

I've had colors show up from off the pedigree. I was sold a creme d'argent and told she has NZ just off the 4 generation pedigree because a breeder crossed out when they couldn't get any new creme blood. Her entire pedigree shows creme which is red agouti with silver and she's thrown more blacks than agoutis. I crossed a blue mini rex buck to a chocolate mini rex doe with the blue having only blue on the doe's side and blue self with black otters on the sire's side. I have a lilac buck from them. I also had a broken blue doe with castor and opal on the whole pedigree so not only did self come from nowhere to make her she then threw a chocolate. When you toss REW in there things can really get random.

cchl c sable points are always lighter than homozygous shadeds. The eyes also have a cool ruby glow.

Just thought I'd add an updated picture. I was mistaken in that there was only one that had the cast, not two. Had I waited, I would have soon realized he was definitely a sable point. Darn my impatience :biggrin: Meet Frasier:

100_1541.jpg

Latest posts

Back