keeping my bun in my room

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crescent

Reaction score
my mom doesn't like animals, so whenigot Crescent the agreement was to keep her (cage and all) inmy room. but now she wants me to put her somewhere else because herfriends (who own animals) told her that it was crazy for her to allowme to keep her in my room, because i will end up with allergies andskin problems. is this true? I clean her entire cage once a week andlitter box every other day.

I've read other posts and i know many of you will say that Crescentneeds to be somewhere where there's more activity....but livingroom/dining room/kitchen are off limits for putting her cage.. and shewill get no attention if she's in the basement so this is really thebest arrangement. i play with her when i wake up, before i go to bedand i take her wherever i go and my room faces the stairs (it's sort ofinbetween floors)so she can see ppl coming up. andshe can't have free roam simply b/c our entire house is hardwood floorexcept the basement so i carry her down.

so does anyone know if this arrangement will cause me health problems?

Hello there,

How long have you had Crescent in your room? Are you havingany allergic symptoms? If you aresuffering, I wouldagree with your mom and advise you to move them to another room in thehouse.

I have the worst allergies ever and I haven't had any problems with mybunnies (I have three). Their cage is in the livingroom.

My dogs have to be outside because of my allergies, but so far, so goodwith the bunnies. It's been seven months now and no problems.

Laura

I used to have Chompers in my room, way back whenI only had one rabbit, and I had no problems. I have very bad allergiestoo, and the only thing I had to remove was the bag of hay, that wasaggravating me.

I don't think people develop allergies from having an animal or not, itjust happens. I went through my whole childhood/teenage years allergyfree. It wasn't until my early twenties that I developed them. Now Ihad horrible allergies and doubt they're going to go anywhere now.

i'm allergic to cats.. but other than that i never had any allergy symptoms..

my mom just thinks Cresent will give me some.. germs (for lack of a better word) or something because she's an animal

Individuals with weak immune systems or on medsthat depress the immune system are at risk for contracting illness fromtheir rabbit. However, you are actuallyin more danger of contracting pathogens from members of your familythan from your bunny. :)

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Individuals with weak immune systems or on meds that depressthe immune system are at risk for contracting illness from theirrabbit. However, you are actually in moredanger of contracting pathogens from members of your family than fromyour bunny. :)

Pam

exactly what i was thinking! i'm a science student so i was thinking..why am i scared of a little bunny? thanks for your posts everyone! ifeel so relieved! :D

We had SLG testedfor allergies recently. They actually have a test specifically forrabbit allergen. She wasnegative! She is however very allergic to hay, so wetook him out of her room so that she wouldn't have the constantexposure to his hay.

I think if you spend a lotoftime withher in your room then it's an idealplace for her. But the final say, of course, is up to your mother.:?

RaspberrySwirl

Woody Pet ?

I actually read that people who have pets intheir home when their children are little there kids have lessallergies.the ammune system is still developing then.bluebird

I feel it depends on the person....my family andI have had pets our whole life..my sister and brother have developedbad allergies, but I am completely free of them (thank god)....if itcame down to it...I'd take medication over getting rid of my rabbits orputting them somewhere else...

I do have to admit though, being in my parents room, with three oftheir excessive shedding cats makes me feel like I have hair in mythroat!

bluebird wrote:
Iactually read that people who have pets in their home when theirchildren are little there kids have less allergies.the ammune system isstill developing then.bluebird
I've heard this too. I've always had animals of some kind and I have all kinds of allergies, but none to animals.

Daisy was in my room when I first got her and Sampson lives in there now. It doesn't seem to bother me.

Jen

JimD wrote:
Woody Pet ?
Jim, are you asking Pam if Woody Petshould be changed once a day? Because I was wondering the samething...

I don't change mine anywhere near thatoften...

But I do know someone who getsevery poo out of his bunnies woody pet every day! I won't useanyinitials but his name is BUCK!

Raspberry

RaspberrySwirl wrote:
JimD wrote:
Woody Pet ?
Jim, are you asking Pam if Woody Petshould be changed once a day? Because I was wondering the samething...

But I do know someone who getsevery poo out of his bunnies woody pet every day! I won't useanyinitials but his name is BUCK!

Raspberry

It will take a "Woody Pet" expert to answer that one -- I've never used the product (I use pine shavings).

Pam

pamnock wrote:
It will take a "Woody Pet" expert to answer that one -- I've never used the product (I use pine shavings).

Pam
SSSHHH!Be very quiet! Don't let Jim hear youor he will stalk you! :shock:

Runaway!

HIDE!

Raspberry

I have horrible allergies... luckily not to anyanimal. I have had no problems with my buns in my room, but Ialso have a Sharper Image ionic air purifier (Awesome invention)

The only time of year that I even get any discomfort from my buns wouldbe shedding season (Like right now) so I make sure to brush them a LOT.

As to the Woodypet question, I scoop the pee corner every other day,remove the worst of the poos the same schedule. The entirebox gets cleaned once a week. Never have any smell, and nopoopy or yellow butts =)

RaspberrySwirl wrote:
JimD wrote:
Woody Pet ?

Raspberry

Actually, I thought I recognized the litter in Cresent's litter pan as "Woody Pet".

I change litter pans every day. No scooping...just toss the whole lot.I only use about 1/2 inch (or less)of Woody Pet in each panand the buns pretty much "use" it up each day.

LOL. I remeber chuckling at Buck's post about "panning for poops"

~Jim

RaspberrySwirl wrote:
pamnock wrote:

Pam
SSSHHH!Be very quiet! Don't let Jim hear youor he will stalk you! :shock:

Runaway!

HIDE!

Raspberry
Dear Lady....Have you heard the word of Woody Pet today??

Latest posts

Back