Just need to vent!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tauntz

Reaction score
I went to the online site for our local news/weather channel & while checking on weather news came across this:

http://www.wltx.com/news/watercoole...anish-Zoo-Kills-Giraffe-to-Prevent-Inbreeding

I'm just appalled & sickened by this zoo killing a perfectly healthy, young (2 year old) giraffe! I'm sorry but I do not believe in killing animals when there are other people or places that want them & could provide good care! I never have been fond of zoos but I did support our local zoo to help them provide care for them. If this is how zoos feel about the animals in their care I will not be supporting them in any way. Sorry but I think it is wrong to kill a healthy living creature. Thank you for letting me get this rant out here. Time for me to go hug a bunny!

Just found out I was right it was an earthquake 4.1! Scared all my pets & ME! My best friend, who died a year & 2 months ago, is laughing her a** off! She lived in California & was always watching the earthquake site! She would have called me & warned me! Sure to miss her!

This might cop me a bit of flak, but I don't disagree with what they did. Obviously the giraffe didn't need to be put down, but in terms of animals in captivity and breeding programs I understand why they did it, and I think in terms of how they actually went about it, I think it was well handled. The shot the giraffe so that they could not only dissect it and educate people, but also so that it could be used as food for the lions and provide them with enrichment and I believe some of the organs are being used in research. I feel like the scenario could have been avoided by not letting the giraffes breed in the first place to produce such a genetically unnecessary offspring, but what can you do. I'm not trying to argue the point here, as I can certainly see where people are coming from and why they are upset about it, but it's just not how I view it.

To be honest, I take greater offence to the breeding of things like dwarf rabbits where you know with 100% certainty that you're going to end up with young that need to be killed because the mix of genes produces unhealthy offspring. To me, that is a greater wrong than what happened at the zoo.

But that's just my two cents :p

We have to see what is the meaning of the ZOO's in the world.
The only reason these animals are in captivity is to preserve a healthy population of a species so they can one day be released back into the wild and have a better chance of survival

The only genetically problem is that Marius is a male if he had been a female there had been no problems.

And do I have to remind about all millions of pigs cows sheeps goats ect. that are being slaughtered today.

Here is the zoo director argument
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuxgAC0dWK4[/ame]

Last edited:
The reality of raising animals, whether they are giraffes or dwarf rabbits, is that it's not always pretty. By raising animals domestically, we can somewhat avoid those harsh realities for many individuals, but placing the animal in another home is not always in the animal's best interest.

Azarene & everyone, that is my point. They could have prevented it rather than allowing it to become "necessary" to destroy an otherwise healthy animal. And yes, I also agree with rabbit breeding & bird breeding to name a few areas where people should know what they are breeding & breed (or not breed) responsibly. Humans are responsible & should not play God & simply kill because it isn't what they want. Disabled people may have a bad gene so should we destroy them or not allow them to breed? I agree with your arguments for the giraffe not having been born but not for killing him just because he was. Thank you once again for allowing me to vent & state my thoughts on this matter, I will now stop to avoid any problems with this thread. I do apologize, I should not have brought it here. This is a rabbit forum & from now on will stick to rabbit topics. Thank you all & thank you for being responsible rabbit breeders. I respect & admire your excellent care & breeding of healthy, quality rabbits as well as keeping the breed pure.

Moderators, if you would please remove this thread, I do not wish to cause any problems on the forum. It is off topic & should not have been posted on this board. My apology for having posted it while I was upset. Thank you!

Azarene & everyone, that is my point. They could have prevented it rather than allowing it to become "necessary" to destroy an otherwise healthy animal. And yes, I also agree with rabbit breeding & bird breeding to name a few areas where people should know what they are breeding & breed (or not breed) responsibly. Humans are responsible & should not play God & simply kill because it isn't what they want. Disabled people may have a bad gene so should we destroy them or not allow them to breed? I agree with your arguments for the giraffe not having been born but not for killing him just because he was. Thank you once again for allowing me to vent & state my thoughts on this matter, I will now stop to avoid any problems with this thread. I do apologize, I should not have brought it here. This is a rabbit forum & from now on will stick to rabbit topics. Thank you all & thank you for being responsible rabbit breeders. I respect & admire your excellent care & breeding of healthy, quality rabbits as well as keeping the breed pure.

I understand that the situation is upsetting to a lot of people. Looking at it from an outside perspective, I would be really confused and offended by what happened.

It's only because I've been raising rabbits for some time that I understand it in a different way. As humans, we do the absolute best we can to keep our animals from harm. Most of the time, we can do that. But even among our best efforts, culling becomes necessary. From what I understand, the zoo does not use contraceptives in their herds - they let breeding happen naturally. When you do that, it becomes necessary to cull the herd. On the other hand, you could breed more selectively. But people also argue against that for a variety of reasons too. And even then, you can control the breeding, but not the result.

After placing pets for a number of years, you'll find that it's VERY difficult to choose good homes. The future quality of life of the animals we love are improved by breeding programs. But at the same rate, there are animals that aren't fitting for a breeding program.

That fact is magnified in the case of a giraffe...the number of safe havens for an non-breeding exotic animal is hugely reduced as compared to a pet dog or rabbit. The important thing here is that the animal served purpose in being born to his own herd, giving his dam the experience of raising offspring and hopefully leaving her in the condition to continue serving conservation efforts. And even in his death, he sustained the life of other animals.

Anyway, I hope this thread doesn't turn "ugly." I don't mean any of my responses in an argumentative way, and I hope others don't either. Discussions like this are important among animal lovers because the future of our animals is in our hands. I like hearing others' opinions and being able to re-evaluate and possibly modify my own breeding efforts as these topics come up to better serve the animals I work with. :)

Thank you, Watermelons. I did not think of the problem potential when I started this thread & do not wish to be the instigator of bad feelings or other problems with this thread. I hope if anything it will be educational should it stay for members to read.

Latest posts

Back