Just a few questions about new bun

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aina

Reaction score
Ok, I'm just checking to make sure I am doing things right, but have a few questions.
First, rabbit learn to poop in one place later than how old my rabbitis now, right? I have introduced the litter box, but he doesn't reallyhave one place he goes all the time like Ronnie does, so I guess hewill when he gets older.
Secondly, yesterday morning he had some cecels such to him, but Ichanged the food and today he doesn't have any, so I'm guessing it wasfood related.
The stuff I am using now is from a pretty local company that makes equine food. I am free feeding him right now.

Now the biggest thing is I think Sky might have mites orfleas. I want to take him to the vet but haven't been able tomake an apointment yet.
He is itching a lot, but has been doing better since I have beenbrushing him every few hours. His fur is grey so I can't really seefleas like I would be able to on my dog or Ronnie. When Ibrush his fur a lot more than I would have thought comes out, I amwondering if this is just residue from it not being brushed in so long,or if there is an underlying problem.
If it is mites or fleas is their anything I can do for a bunny so young?

Other than that he seems great. He likes to binky a lot and run aroundthe room. He runs around for some time, exploring, and then rests, runsaround, and then rests. He has bright eyes and seems alert. He did havea slight runny nose when I got him, but that has pretty much clearedup. The pet store was keeping him is dismal conditions.
He gets along great with my dog, though I have had to tell her not to bother him a few times.

Edited to add another question.
Do stores still sell NIC stuff? I can't seem to find it.

I'm a newbie to rabbits so I can't comment onalot of your questions but did want to give some feedback on the NICcubes. I found them both at my local Target and at Bed Bath& Beyond. Both places sold packs for $14.99 (Targethad Chrome for $19.99) and had them located by the closet organization/ laundry section). I found coroplast through a sign retailerfor $10 per 4x8 sheet.

Congrats on Sky! Sounds like a fun bunny!

BunyBun

Hello Aina

The scratching could be just from your bunnymolting (loosing a Coat of Hair) but if your dog or other pets havesome fleas you can use a topical monthly treatment like Advantage orRevolution but Don't use Front Line it has caused severe problems inRabbits. You can buy this at Most pet stores or Vet clinic.

As far as the NIC Panels go you can find them at Target for $14.95 or WalMart.

They are called Organiz-It in the Houseware Department Areas.

Hope this Helps!

MikeE.

"Tell Me,I'll Forget"
"Show Me,I'll Remember"
"Involve Me,I'll Understand"

Hi Aina, how are you? :)

It depends. Usually when they start to mature a bit they start beingmore consistent in the particular spot they go to the bathroom. Whenthey're babies, sometimes they go in different places until they pickthe right spot. :).

Rabbits can get poopy butt if you change their food too quickly. Fornext time, try to do it gradually over two weeks to avoid tummy upsets:).

It doesn't have to be the brand NIC, there's other brands of the cubes that work just as well.

I looked at out target and I couldn't find thecubes or anything like them. Lowes has a lot of the orgonizeit stuff, so maybe they were just out. I guess I'll have to look again.

In retrospect I probably could have asked the salsesperson what kind offood they used and changed it a bit slower, but he seems fine now andis eating quite a bit. I'm glad because he is really skinny.

Hopefully it is just my bunny molting. He has seemed fine since Ibrushed him out really well. He has such long hair and he is just ababy.

Latest posts

Back