Jacob has a snotty nose

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steph16

Reaction score
I am not sure where to post this... But I think it might be here.

So today I noticed Jacob not eating his morning vegetables. He did eat his pellets and some hay though.

I usually give him parsley, carrots and tops, celery and leaves, basil and dill.

I came home today from work and noticed that Jacob had a runny nose. So I let him out so I could catch him to look at him. When I was doing that, he started to sneeze a lot and what looked like a big booger came out of his nose, but he licked his face to quickly and it was gone. I finally was able to pick him up and looked at his nose. It looks good, nothing out of the normal. The booger was white and slimy.

I am wondering if it is normal to have bunnies get a little "cold". Also should this be something that I should be concerned about. Last one for now, is there something I should be feeding him, in terms of vegetables?

Steph

This sounds like the beginning of a a URI to me. I would take him to the vet ASAP making sure that the vet is knowlegeable about rabbit medicine. he will most likely need a round of antibiotics.

What does URI stand for?

Also he ate his veggies last night. Just fed him Parsley and Celery. And I just fed him this morning and he is eating them too. Put Basil and Carrots in with it.

Now he is still active (right now biting some cardboard) and he was runny around the apartment last night when I was trying to pick him up. He does have his down time. When I got up this morning he was laying when he normally lays, but when I went to go take his food dish out, he was right there wondering where I was taking it.

Tony had a big ole booger one day and I rushed him to the vet the next day. It was gone, and never returned. They didn't give me meds at all. Jacob may have gotten something in there, dust or something, and it's gone. If there are no more sneezing fits or mucus, he's probably fine. If any other stuff shows up, he should see a vet, though.

I got him in with the vet on Tuesday. He only has some crusty's on the side of one of his nostrils now... like dried snot. He hasn't been sneezing too much lately. But I will keep an eye on him this weekend. Thanks for all the help and info.

So an update on Jacob:

I brought him to the vet yesterday. And she said that from the history I gave to her about him, she thinks that he is fighting it on his own (if he has anything). That's not to say she still wasn't concerned about him. She has a prescription waiting for him, should he get worse. But she thought that it wouldn't be the best thing if I pump him full of antibiotics, if he is capable of fighting this infection on his own. She also checked his vitals and she says that there is nothing in his lungs.

I think he has gotten better, because he is not having his sneezing attacks so much and he used to have crusties on his nose, but they have cleared up.

He was such a good mini man at the vet. He let me hold him and when he was being examined he just sat there and let her do her thing. I thought he would be the most fidgety animal ever. And when she went to take a little sample from his nose, he was so still and everything. I was so proud of him.

Wow...I am impressed by your vet. Very advanced thinking. The coming trend is to avoid antibiotics unless the infection is very severe or the patient (including humans) has a very compromised immune system. This is due to the fact that anitibiotics are overprescribed by doctors and improperly used by patients which leads to resistant bacteria. With so few new drugs in the "pipeline" and the growing number of resistant bacteria, we need to pick our fights when we use drugs. Your responsibility here is to continue to provide a stable and stress free environment to allow your rabbit's immune system to take care of any issue.

Randy

Latest posts

Back