Italian dandelion

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~*sAbRiNa*~

Reaction score
I keep seeing Italian dandelion at the grocery store and it looks like Sabrina would love it but I want to make sure that it will be safe before I buy it.

Thanks

Italian Dandelion is another name for Chicory (Cichorium intybus) (Source)

The chicory plant family as a whole includes endives, radicchio and the Belgian endive, and what we know as chicory.

Chicory greens are on the Lagomorph Library QUICK LIST: Rabbit-Safe Foods.

(Thanks for your question! I learned a new name for chicory :) )

Thanks NorthernAutumn. I had no idea that it was a part of the chicory family...it certainly doesn't look like chicory (or dandelion for that matter)!

Have you fed it before? I am assuming that they eat the stem since that is what makes up the bulk of what is for purchase at the store.

No, I haven't personally fed it to anybunny :)
I would just go with the stem and leaf, as that what is suggested for other chicory species.

Let me know how Sabrina likes it!

We have fed chicory in the past...it is higher in either calcium or oxalates...I'm sorry I can't remember which it is...hubby is greens control so he would know for sure...but he is at work right now...

We feed it just like dandelion...but we feed it sparingly...we feed less than regular dandelion...maybe a leaf or two at a time...no more than that though!:)

Danielle

Well I gave her a small sample to try out and she seemed to like it. She didn't devour it, but she ate it all. It has a very strange texture, the leaves are like normal dandelion leaves but the "stems" have the texture of celery.

Thanks for the warning Runestonez, I will make sure that it is just an occasional veggie.

We feed it to Hazel every day. she has never had a problem with it. She does prefer it when there is more leaf than stem, though.

Chicory (Italian Dandelion) actually contains less calcium than dandelion, but more potassium.

BTW, newer studies show that restricting calcium is not necesarily a good idea, and the formation of kidney stones or grit is not necesarily related to the diet. I remember someone had a link to an article or something about this recently, from the latest veterinary conference, but I can't find it right now.

In humans at least, it has been shown that adding calcium to the diet prevents the absorption of oxalates in the body. When the oxalate and the calcium are present in the GI tract at the same time, they bind together and neither is absorbed. That's why it's a good idea to either drink milk with spinach, or add cheese to the dish.

I'm not sure whether the same holds true in rabbits, but I assume it's still a good idea to ballance oxalate containing foods with calcium containing foods.
I believe in a natural, ballanced diet anyway. It has sustained Hazel for 7 years now without problems, and she's remarkably healthy and problems free, according to her vet.

Latest posts

Back