Is this an early sign of a head tilt????

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubbe

Reaction score
Hey!

Quick question, does this look like the beginning of a headtilt? I’m not sure if I’m over reacting or not. I already made an appointment with the vet.

Thank you!IMG_7037.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7036.jpeg
    IMG_7036.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Do you mean the ear bent down, or is your rabbit showing signs of having a consistently tilted head?

Head tilt is usually due to an ear infection, e cuniculi, trauma, stroke, toxoplasmosis, or sometimes ear mites. A consistently drooping ear in a rabbit that doesn't have a history of it being normal (like in rabbits with lop genetics), could have an ear infection or ear mites (or both). Especially if there are also other signs of ear problems or irritation, like excessive ear scratching, head shaking, nystagmus, drooping face, circling, loss of balance, crusts or pus in the ear, or reduced appetite due to pain.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Head_tilt

In growing rabbits, a drooping ear may be due to vitamin A deficiency, or it could be lop genetics.

Do you mean the ear bent down, or is your rabbit showing signs of having a consistently tilted head?

Head tilt is usually due to an ear infection, e cuniculi, trauma, stroke, toxoplasmosis, or sometimes ear mites. A consistently drooping ear in a rabbit that doesn't have a history of it being normal (like in rabbits with lop genetics), could have an ear infection or ear mites (or both). Especially if there are also other signs of ear problems or irritation, like excessive ear scratching, head shaking, nystagmus, drooping face, circling, loss of balance, crusts or pus in the ear, or reduced appetite due to pain.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Head_tilt

In growing rabbits, a drooping ear may be due to vitamin A deficiency, or it could be lop genetics.
Usually his ears are always upwards. No lop genetics, he’s a dwarf papillon. He’s eating as normal and drinking as well. I only noticed this morning that he keeps his head slightly tilted with a droopy ear. Noticed him scratch it too. I have a vet appointment for tomorrow. Thank you for your answer!

It's good you caught it early. The main thing is making sure antibiotics are continued long enough. Vets that aren't very experienced with rabbits, often only do the antibiotics for a couple of weeks, then once the antibiotic is stopped the infection re-emerges because the antibiotic wasn't given long enough and the infection, though knocked down, wasn't completely gone.

Usually 4-6 weeks minimum (and 2 weeks past the last of the clinical signs clearing up) on a systemic antibiotic is needed for rabbits. Though this will vary depending on the antibiotic used. Infections in rabbits, are usually a difficult thing to get rid of completely, so treatment has to be more aggressive and for longer usually.

www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Otit/otitis.htm

Back