Is these french lop babies too expensive?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1357rabbitlover

Reaction score
My auntie is hoping to get a french lop from a breeder in about 2 weeks time. She is selling them for £70, i just googled and that's $109 us dollars. Is this too expensive for a french lop? Or is this a good amount?

The price depends on a lot of factors. I'm not sure what they go for in the UK though, so its difficult to compare a price. If the breeder is a well-known reputable breeder with good stock then that may not be too high of a price. If the rabbit is show quality, parents have lots of legs, and in excellent health then it wouldn't be an outrageous price. You could get a much cheaper flop from a sketchy breeder, but then you run the risk of future problems and the rabbit probably won't be show quality. If she isn't planning on showing or breeding the rabbit maybe she should get a pet quality one from the breeder and that she can get for a lot less.

The breeder rarely shows her rabbits but does a couple of times a year, they have papers and are pedigree. My auntie doesn't want to show, just wants a pet, but the breeder only breeds show quality ones and they are all the same price. But yes the breeder is very well known by everyone where i live for her lovely frenchies, they go very fast and she only breeds her 3 frenchies 2 times a year, so i guess as she is a very reputable breeder with show quality bunnies, then the price is good?

She should also check on the cost of spaying or neutering. And vet care is expensive, too.

I would never want to get a rabbit who wasn't already neutered. Cost isn't a consideration for me, but the aggravation would have been. Plus as long as there are more rabbits needing homes than there are people who want them, I'm going with a rescue rabbit every time.

But different people have different priorities.

She knows a lot about bunnies, she has had them all her life, she is wanting a baby and knows that she must get him neutered for bonding (she already has a female neutered mini lop). Honestly she is very rich and will be able to afford anything for her bunny, like she has with her present bunny, she is very very spoilt, lol :)

Also there is only one rescue centre on the island that i live on, they usually have no rabbits in (or any other small animals), the fullest it's been when i've been up, it's only had 4 rabbits and usually cannot be rehomed with other rabbits or are usually very aggressive, the shelter also does not neuter the rabbits for you (they give you a £15 off neutering at the vets voucher), it's more of a dog and cat shelter than a small animal shelter.

Latest posts

Back