Is her coat too thick? Specially her feet...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzz16

Reaction score
So I am not sure how to describe this, but it bothers me a lot and until tonight I never thought to ask until my curiosity got the best of me.

So, some basic about her and her lifestyle bit
-7.5-8 months old
-9.02lbs
-inside only: she free roams a carpeted room with a dog kennel that is left open 24/7 and there is cardboard boxes and tipped over plastic office trash cans for them to lounge in.
-House is between 70-80F at all times (depending on summer or winter)
-eats mana pro 18% and free fed brome hay

The fur on her hocks is SUPER thick. It doesn't feel like its matted, but it feels sooo thick and you CANT push it apart to get to the skin. I trimmed the sides and some off the bottom and the fur is damp under the trimmed hair.

Under her, her fur is also super thick, and there were a couple mats under her tail that werent bad but i have never seen such thick fur on a rabbit thats inside only...

I have a tenancy to get carried away with scissors so I cut some fur off her back above her tail..and OMG...if you have ever been around sheep before shearing. Thats what this is like! The fur feels like rex fur almost, but more silky like baby fur, but its so THICK it makes me think of a sheep.

At first, I thought..maybe she has grooming issues because I know her left side where her leg was, I have to make sure to brush there or it will get matted easily. But, I have never seen something like this. So I need input from others.

This is a picture of her Julyish...she felt wooly then, too on her hindquarters and when I look back she looks it, too. (Fur on her neck and where her leg was hadnt grown back in yet)
196789_4468238828928_1808900888_n.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

Arn't her hind feet overly fuzzy? This is AFTER I trimmed some off the sides and bottom, too.

PLEASE IGNORE THE BUTCHER JOB

This is about an inch trimmed off and it was very fluffy normal bunny hair that came off. The undercoat is this..but the OUTSIDE french lops dont have this and they come from WA and my holland lop is NO WHERE near this bad with moulting let alone sheep wool for fur
IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

Any ideas much appreciated.

It just seems very...abnormally thick from my experience and I worry about it the thick fur on her hocks causing problems because its so thick its damp when cut down and too thick to dry out.

fuzz16 wrote:
So I am not sure how to describe this, but it bothers me a lot and until tonight I never thought to ask until my curiosity got the best of me.

So, some basic about her and her lifestyle bit
-7.5-8 months old
-9.02lbs
-inside only: she free roams a carpeted room with a dog kennel that is left open 24/7 and there is cardboard boxes and tipped over plastic office trash cans for them to lounge in.
-House is between 70-80F at all times (depending on summer or winter)
-eats mana pro 18% and free fed brome hay

The fur on her hocks is SUPER thick. It doesn't feel like its matted, but it feels sooo thick and you CANT push it apart to get to the skin. I trimmed the sides and some off the bottom and the fur is damp under the trimmed hair.

Under her, her fur is also super thick, and there were a couple mats under her tail that werent bad but i have never seen such thick fur on a rabbit thats inside only...

I have a tenancy to get carried away with scissors so I cut some fur off her back above her tail..and OMG...if you have ever been around sheep before shearing. Thats what this is like! The fur feels like rex fur almost, but more silky like baby fur, but its so THICK it makes me think of a sheep.

At first, I thought..maybe she has grooming issues because I know her left side where her leg was, I have to make sure to brush there or it will get matted easily. But, I have never seen something like this. So I need input from others.

This is a picture of her Julyish...she felt wooly then, too on her hindquarters and when I look back she looks it, too. (Fur on her neck and where her leg was hadnt grown back in yet)
196789_4468238828928_1808900888_n.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

Arn't her hind feet overly fuzzy? This is AFTER I trimmed some off the sides and bottom, too.

PLEASE IGNORE THE BUTCHER JOB

This is about an inch trimmed off and it was very fluffy normal bunny hair that came off. The undercoat is this..but the OUTSIDE french lops dont have this and they come from WA and my holland lop is NO WHERE near this bad with moulting let alone sheep wool for fur
IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

Any ideas much appreciated.

It just seems very...abnormally thick from my experience and I worry about it the thick fur on her hocks causing problems because its so thick its damp when cut down and too thick to dry out.
--without a doubt--absolutely a-d-o-r-a-b-l-e,,--appears to be a holland lop..??--is the problem damp fur/skin on her feet--this will require some investigating on your part--ie..pee/water,etc.--the skin should be dry,--under the fur,even during the molting--sincerely james waller--:big wink:

I dunno about the rest of it, but the feet sound normal to me aside from the dampness (dunno what would cause that unless she stepped in a puddle of something). I just poked at Gazzles (my holland) and she has at least 1/2 an inch of fur on the bottom of her feet and it's thick enough I can't part it all the way to the skin with my fingers (I got kinda close and she flinched away). it seems a little more coarse/thick than the rest of her fur, especially at the ends.

they don't have pads on their feet like cats and dogs do to protect their sensitive skin, so they need a lot of fur on the bottoms of their feet.

Some of my buns have some pretty thick fur on their feet, but their feet are dry. Is she maybe getting them wet in the litter box? If it's not covered with a grate, maybe you could try that and see if it helps keep her feet dry.

She looks like a sweet fluffy bun and looks like she would be lots of fun to snuggle with :) She does look extra fluffy though. And, that is one looong tail she's got on her!!!

i thought about the litter box, but its that the fur below what i trimmed that was damp. i may have to add a grate, litter box would be the only reason.

and i know in the pics you cant tell, and its after a bit of trimming. but the fur on the bottom of her hocks is so thick it sticks out on the sides too so her feet look like shes wearing 5 layers of socks lol

and not a holland for sure, shes 9 lbs and probably a badly bred french lop. she is nearly 3x sebis size lol but thanks shes my doll. shes been through a lot between the amputation and now me butchering her coat haha...she looks like a shih tzu that got trimmed up by a drunk person

and someone on another forum mentioned she may have a wool gene. angoras were bred into french lops in development and sometimes they get a wool coat from that.

and omg..her tail is soooo long lol. i need to get more pics of her. when she stands up her dewlap is soo cute and tiny but then where her leg was its like a second dewlap haha

buuuut anyways, now that i trimmed her hind quarters shes not shedding lol. which is super nice. only have to brush her head and shoulders now lol

She looks like a rug, lol. Yours looks a lot like a French Lop. My daughter had one and, really, your bun's feet look just like his did...very big and thick with fur. I think that's normal for that breed. OMG, when her lop molted it was crazy! She'd take him outside to comb out all the loose fur and she left so much hair on the patio I made her pick it up. :shock:

lol oh ya i am not surprised by the fur. i had a french lop before but she wasnt nearly as bad and the three i have outside dont even have the wooly undercoat, even the moulting buck lol

Latest posts

Back