Is a Ragdoll Cat a suitable companion for a greiving mini lop?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slasherbun

Reaction score
Hi all,

Unfortunately I lost my baby Wallace over the weekend and I am completely and utterly devastated. His surviving brother Gromit has never been without him, and I'm worried about him being alone. They live in my room with me so he's not outside in a hutch or anything but I can't be with him 24/7. However, I really cannot find it in my heart to get another rabbit. Wallace will never be replaced and I don't want to get another rabbit. He was just under two years old when he died unexpectedly and my heart can't handle the worry of another rabbit. I feel like a cat is a sturdier option for me and I've looked at Ragdoll cats for a while now. I'd be looking for the cat to act as a primary companion for Gromit, and I'd get the cat as a kitten so he would be able to get used to him. Has anyone experienced this before? Is it a good option? I've attached a picture of my baby Wallace, my handsome angel ❤️

Attachments

• DSC_0861.JPG
    DSC_0861.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 1
Sorry you lost a rabbit. I love the names you gave them though.

It is true that some cats can get along with a rabbit however there is always an inherent danger. Even if they get along wonderfully, the danger could come from an unintentional scratch from the cat. Rabbits have such delicate systems that a cat scratch can lead to a rabbit's death.

Now while I said that cats can sometimes get along with rabbits, I would not consider that as a replacement for a bondmate or even as a 'companion.'

If you just want a cat, that's fine of course. It will be dependent on each of their personalities as to how or if they'll get along. Getting a kitten won't ensure that. So you would be wise to consider what you would do if they end up not getting along. If they do happen to get along though, that still won't be a 'companion,' because cats and rabbits don't 'speak' the same language. The cat won't understand, for instance, a rabbit's request for grooming. Nor would it understand a rabbit's 'leave me alone' body posture. Likewise, the rabbit won't understand a kitten/cat's attempt at play. Predators like cats may play by play fighting. A rabbit won't understand this and would likely interpret it as aggression. So, in short, that language barrier means they'll never be true companions.

But if your goal is finding a suitable companion for Gromit, the only suitable companion would be another rabbit. But there is no need to rush into that either. You could give Gromit some time and see how he does on his own.

I have been in a similar situation a few times. In one case, the surviving rabbit had a negative change in behavior and was acting out. She clearly needed another bondmate. In another case, the surviving rabbit adjusted well and, having formerly been rather timid, came out of his shell and did wonderful as a single rabbit. So you may want to take a wait-and-see approach and give Gromit the opportunity to adjust.

Sorry you lost a rabbit. I love the names you gave them though.

It is true that some cats can get along with a rabbit however there is always an inherent danger. Even if they get along wonderfully, the danger could come from an unintentional scratch from the cat. Rabbits have such delicate systems that a cat scratch can lead to a rabbit's death.

Now while I said that cats can sometimes get along with rabbits, I would not consider that as a replacement for a bondmate or even as a 'companion.'

If you just want a cat, that's fine of course. It will be dependent on each of their personalities as to how or if they'll get along. Getting a kitten won't ensure that. So you would be wise to consider what you would do if they end up not getting along. If they do happen to get along though, that still won't be a 'companion,' because cats and rabbits don't 'speak' the same language. The cat won't understand, for instance, a rabbit's request for grooming. Nor would it understand a rabbit's 'leave me alone' body posture. Likewise, the rabbit won't understand a kitten/cat's attempt at play. Predators like cats may play by play fighting. A rabbit won't understand this and would likely interpret it as aggression. So, in short, that language barrier means they'll never be true companions.

But if your goal is finding a suitable companion for Gromit, the only suitable companion would be another rabbit. But there is no need to rush into that either. You could give Gromit some time and see how he does on his own.

I have been in a similar situation a few times. In one case, the surviving rabbit had a negative change in behavior and was acting out. She clearly needed another bondmate. In another case, the surviving rabbit adjusted well and, having formerly been rather timid, came out of his shell and did wonderful as a single rabbit. So you may want to take a wait-and-see approach and give Gromit the opportunity to adjust.
Thank you so much for your amazing reply. You've answered all my questions and put my mind at ease. Thank you so much.

Hi all,

Unfortunately I lost my baby Wallace over the weekend and I am completely and utterly devastated. His surviving brother Gromit has never been without him, and I'm worried about him being alone. They live in my room with me so he's not outside in a hutch or anything but I can't be with him 24/7. However, I really cannot find it in my heart to get another rabbit. Wallace will never be replaced and I don't want to get another rabbit. He was just under two years old when he died unexpectedly and my heart can't handle the worry of another rabbit. I feel like a cat is a sturdier option for me and I've looked at Ragdoll cats for a while now. I'd be looking for the cat to act as a primary companion for Gromit, and I'd get the cat as a kitten so he would be able to get used to him. Has anyone experienced this before? Is it a good option? I've attached a picture of my baby Wallace, my handsome angel ❤️
What an incredibly beautiful creature.
I'm so sorry for your loss

Back