Introducing Yofi :o)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rule number 293 in all manners of bunnykeeping:

Never ever attempt to apply medication to a rabbit's foot directly after putting up a (live) Christmas tree.

Alas, I broke this well-hidden (yet common-sensed) rule on Monday evening. After struggling for approximately an hour, attempting to put up a most beautiful Christmas tree in the living room, I discovered that my hands had become understandably sticky. I had prided myself on being fortunate enough to locate a tree vendor (Christmas tree brokesperson? Tree pusher? Fir breeder?) this year who was actually selling fresh-cut fir trees. I walked the lot for about 25 minutes with my 10-yr-old niece, Emily, searching for the perfect tree for my home. And at last (after stumbling across an x-rated scene involving the tree seller's two rather amorous dogs, upon which my niece squealed with delight and shouted at the top of her healthy lungs, "Omigosh! LOOK AT WHAT THOSE TWO DOGS ARE DOING!!") I found the tree. So we crammed all 8 feet or so of it into my sister's car trunk - a Honda Civic - (which was feat dubious enough for its own post, btw) and brought it to my place.

Later that evening I took on the dubious task of mounting this magnificent tree in place. Trusted hacksaw in hand, I trimmed a bottom 3 inches or so from the trunk, then proceeded to place the tree in its alloted stand. (Ever see a woman under 5 ft tall try and maneuver an 8-ft tree on her own? Could've been great fodder for a Saturday Night Live skit, had cameras been rolling.) I pushed and shoved, lifted and cursed, fought back at the prickly branches that slapped me in the face, until at last the tree stood proudly in the corner. And I must say, it's pretty impressive. It was worth the temporary fight with nature, the minute tree scratches, and breaking into a sweat. And the best thing of all about this tree: it's fresh. Unlike those that are cut whilst in a Canadian heat wave in mid-August or September, when the only things on our minds are enjoying a large Iced Capp at the nearest Timmy's, this one was cut just a day or two prior to my purchasing it. And because I have never actually had to erect a Christmas tree of such freshness before, I seriously underestimated the side effect: sticky, sappy fir-hands syndrome. So I headed to the bathroom and washed...and scrubbed...and scoured...and washed again...until I was certain that most of the sap had indeed, been removed. And it was while undergoing this post- tree-erecting ritual that I realized Yofi had not yet had his feetsies medicated.

So off I went again, this time with Preparation-H set in place and paper towel tucked under one arm, to get my boy. I picked him up from his cage and placed him on my lap in the bathroom. Darn...hair began sticking to my fingers. So I shook and rubbed, as much as I could with a Yofi waiting anxiously on my lap, then decided to get down to business and worry about the details later.

I took one of the paper towels that was soaked in water and soap and washed The Boy's feet. No problem. Then I grabbed the dry paper towel and unfurled a sheet to dry his now wet hoofers. I rubbed and patted his hinders dry, and went to set the paper towel down.

The sheet stuck to my hand like a fly to flypaper.

So I shook and rubbed, cursed a bit and tore at it, and finally most came off. A few of my fingers were now lined with bits of white, making it appear as though I was getting ready to head off to my first white-gloved catillion, but for the most part the towel was successfully extruded.

Next, off came the cap for the Prep-H. It stuck to a finger. I shook and it flew to one side of the sink. No worries. I removed some of the contents from the tube and succeeded in rubbing the stuff all over the red (angry) parts of Yofi's hocks. The Boy sat there calmly and let out an exaggerated sigh, obviously having come to the conclusion that his mom is some kind of demented human who has a lagomorphian foot fetish.

By now of course, Di's Murphyslaw came into effect. My nose began to itch. I swiped at it furiously with my arm, trying desperately to find one area that did not host a stray Yofi hair...but the more I tried, the more I caused the itch to flare up. Hairs were getting up my nostrils, on my face, all over my skin...I finally gave up and tried to ignore it. (This, I am convinced, is one of a rabbit's many ways to get payback whenever they have to go through something they do not like; they have perfected the talent of explosive shedding.)

Anyway, once I had finished treating Yofi's feet, I wiped my fingers with more paper towel to try and remove some of the left-over Prep-H. It stuck to my skin tenaciously, wrapping tiny pieces of paper towel sheetlets all over the back of my hand and all ten fingers. Again, another fight, wrestling with paper, cursing it into submission while still balancing a large Yofi on my lap. The towel gave in at last, and I was free.

So I stood up and placed (a now squiggly, 'letmeegoletmeegoLETMEEGO!!!!') Yofi on the floor. He shook his feet, looked back at me with a 'I can't believe I even live here' type of expression, then scurried off to complain to Anna. Then I looked down at my hands. Fur gloves, permanently glued into place, adorned them. White hair of the finest variety took the place of my once human skin. Had I decided to venture out to the store at that moment I'm sure no one would even have noticed. Heck, I'd probably even get an admirer or two asking where I managed to buy such lovely mohair gloves. So I rushed over to the sink, hairy palms grasping the faucets, and diligently scrubbed and scoured once more. And FINALLY, I managed to remove all evidence of hair (hare) from myself. For the rest of the evening my skin still stuck in spots, fingers adhered to one another and I avoided anything that sported indoor coats, lest I continue to be a magnet to their fur. And the next day at work all was back to normal...until I found three stray Yofi hairs stuck to my wrist.

And you guys thought Clark Griswold had it rough. ;)

:roflmao:
Ahhh, I needed that laugh :D. You describe the events so well, it's like being there.

And hey, waddya mean by washing off the fur mitts???? Those gloves were Yofi's present to ya :p:biggrin2:

Jan

:shock::D:biggrin2:

Brown jersey work gloves to keep sap off Bassetluv = $0.99

Getting the Yofi story after Bassetluv doesn't use the gloves = Priceless

LOL...thanks everyone! I enjoy sharing Yofi's (mis)adventures here. Gives me a chance to practice writing - though I tend to be so critical of myself, I will go back and read something I wrote and notice 20 or 30 errors, or things I'd love to change.

I wanted to post this now, in case I get busy and forget....Yofi wanted to wish everyone here a very Merry Christmas (well, with some urging from me :p). I hope everyone's holiday is joyous and merry and full of love, hopes, and dreams for the upcoming year. And Yofi et al. send out wishes for abundance of food, tons of craisins, andnose scritches (and plenty of opportunity for stealing fud when their human isn't looking) to every bunny here.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

(Maybe I shoulda posted this in the main forum...)

xmasyofi4640x480.jpg

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Dave, Karen and the herd!

P.S. Thank you for sharing Yofi's adventures! If you put together a book one day of Yofi's life,I would buy it in a heartbeat! I would even pay extra to get an autographed copy.:)

LuvaBun wrote:
Wabbitdad12 wrote:
P.S. Thank you for sharing Yofi's adventures! If you put together a book one day of Yofi's life,I would buy it in a heartbeat! I would even pay extra to get an autographed copy.:)
Autographed by Di - or Yofi??? ;)

Jan

BOTH OF COURSE!

Dave

Many thanks to all who posted wishes for a wonderful Christmas, and I hope you all had a joyous holiday as well! (And thanks very much for the compliments on the Yofi stories I've posted; I take that as very high praise...though as you all know, of course, there would be no stories without His Royal Hareness providing the groundwork. ;)) I've just spent the past half-hour copying Yofi-tales from here, so if ever I do become motivated enough to clean them up and edit a bit, maybe they will live on somewhere...

Christmas at my house was very crowded for the past four days, having to squeeze two extra bodies (my son and his girlfriend) into an already cramped abode. But the cramping was more than worth it. Everyone had a wonderful time, and yesterday I once again said goodbye to my son as he headed back home to Toronto. Now it seems all too quiet, even with a Yofi in residence. Anna and the Yofster did have to spend much of it confined unfortunately - more for their safety than anyone else's, as access to exposed wiring was all too tempting with the Christmas tree setup, and with extra people in the house, an unsupervised rabbit or two could easily slip past and get an unexpected shock. However, they did still have access to the kitchen as well as their room, and Yofi took full advantage of coming out and mingling with the rest of the folk. He seemed to take to Brooke, my son's girlfriend, following her about and constantly pleading ("They never feed me here, honest"). Stephen, my son, was a bit more apprehensive of Yofi's presence, as previous rabbits in my life seem to have not taken a liking to him...Rufus, for instance, a little dwarf mix I had, would nip Stephen every time he went near him, and would actually seek out his shoes and unceremoniously urinate on or in them. So Stephen admired Yofi from a bit of a distance, until the day before he left...then he finally gave in and approached Yof a bit tentatively...and the Yofster looked at him, reached over and gave him bunny kisses all over his hand. :) Anna too, enjoyed having company here, though she refused to leave the confines of the rabbit room. After all, hardwood floors ARE beneath the dignity of a female lago-queen to trod upon, are they not? A slip or two of the hind end would be rather embarrassing, and Anna would never subject herself to such a display in front of witnesses. So she remained in their room, but every time someone would venture past the doorway she'd make a beeline for them, fully expecting nose rubs and scritches. And she always got them.

The only Yofi-related event that took place was a brief one that occured on the 24th. We (humans) were sitting in the kitchen talking, and Yofi - ever the attention-seeker - heard our voices and came ambling out, long ears trailing behind him as he went from one person to the next, obviously attempting to get in on the discussion at hand. However, when no one paid him heed, he disappeared quietly into the shadows unnoticed. At that point I should have realized His Hareness was up to Something, but my guard was down. Sure enough, moments later we all heard a muffled scuffling sound, as though something was being yanked away. I turned and heard a *thunk*, and then all three of us saw a blur...an orange-and-white flash of fur and ears darted past us and out of the kitchen...but I did manage to notice that the blur was carrying something blue in it's ample maw of a mouth. So I ran after him, yelling, "Yofi, NO!!" even though I had yet to determine just what it was he had stolen. Even carrying the loot however, he proved to be faster than me, and the chase led me all the way into the rabbit room and into the rabbits' cage. There, Yofi finally dropped his cargo, though not on purpose; it had snagged on the edge of the litter box as he attempted to haul it up to the safety of the bunny shelf within their crate. So I followed him on hands and knees, snatching the treasured loot from where it had fallen, only to discover just what The Boy had taken: A box of charcoal filters for the fish aquarium.

Now, why had he wanted this particular item? I believe it was all a ploy. Yofi hadn't exactly wanted filters - unless he'd become more eco-aware and decided that his and Anna's water needed to be more purified. No, I think this was his way of gaining attention. Since it had been exactly 22.34 minutes since anyone had ooooohed and aaaawed over the Yofster, he decided to take matters into his own hands and draw the focus back to him, Yofi-style.

I have to give The Boy credit; his plan worked. :p

Latest posts

Back