Introducing us and Chewie

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danaii

Reaction score
Hello there,

On January 21st my best friend and I adopted a male Holland Lop (3.5 months or so at the time) from the Humane Society. Chewie, as we call him, was neutered on the 13th of January. He weighs 3 pounds and 13 ounces as of his vet visit a week ago.

I've had bunnies before (also Holland Lops), but my friend has not. Even for me it's been a while - maybe nine years.

Chewie lives at the best friend's house, but I paid for the setup, the food, etc. HE paid the measly $15 adoption fee. So I consider the bunbun to be just as much mine.

Chewie has a good-size cage, but he's rarely in it. He's confined to the bedroom he occupies when we aren't home, but when we are he has more of a free reign. If we stay in the bedroom, though, so does he.

He binkies and flops down a LOT, especially at night. He's also impeccably litter box trained. He doesn't even drop pellets except in his litter box. He's a very friendly bunny, lets us pet him often, but has taken to nipping at our legs recently, especially after nibbling on our pant legs a little. But it's not aggressive, and he doesn't bite us when we pet him or anything. There's no accompanying growling or grunting. He'll just nose our legs, start nibbling, and then suddenly nip us. Only on our legs, as I said.

He nudges us with his nose sometimes, and sniffs us a lot. And then he'll wander off and play, or binky, or do some other crazy thing. He has lots of things to chew on, lots of fresh hay, good quality pellets, vegetables, water, papaya tablets (which he doesn't seem interested in), raisins, etc.

There are pictures of bunbun here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos<WBR>/10867218@N00/]http://www<WBR>.flickr.com/photos/10867218<WBR>@N00/[/url]

So anyway, I just wanted to introduce us, Chewie, and also say hi.

Oh wow is he a cutie! As for the nipping, he&#39;s probably trying to get your attention. Try yelping or telling him no every time he does that. I have two buns that do that and this has helped. He probably doesn&#39;t realize that he&#39;s hurting you, because if you had fur it wouldn&#39;t feel as hard.

Thanks everyone, for both the warm welcome and the advice. And I&#39;m sure Chewie would thank you for the compliments. :)

We&#39;ll try the suggestions. In fact, that&#39;s what we&#39;ve been doing. But the silly bunbun gets lots of attention from us when we&#39;re in the room with him. But when we pet him, he&#39;ll sit there for a few seconds (longer if he&#39;s eating or nibbling), and then hop off. So it&#39;s pretty much like, "Ok, do you want attention or not??"

We&#39;re also considering getting him a companion bunny, but I certainly wouldn&#39;t want him nipping her (we&#39;d get a spayed girl). What do you think?

I think it&#39;s a great idea to get him a partner, I was reaqlly glad when I got my BunBun (yes, that&#39;s his name) a girlfriend. They are really happy together.

I think that if you got a girl with a failry strong personality she might teach him that it&#39;s not ok to nip? The only time I&#39;ve ever had a nippy rabbit was an older girl, and she would lunge at my legs. Turns out she was aggressive because she could smell other animals on me and didn&#39;t like that. Sadly she has since passed away but I taught her not to do it with squeeling and walking away from her.

Oops, double post by mistake :D.

Anyway sounds like he might just be testing his luck, if you know what I mean? They can be very cheeky at that age.

Oh yes, I keep reminding myself that I now have a "teenager" on my hands!!

My last bunny, Kiwi (black Holland lop, SO cute!), was an unneutered male, and he&#39;d actually lunge, growl, and bite if he was under the bed and I had to put him back in his cage, so I guess I&#39;m getting off easy with this one. LOL

Aww I love black lops! I have 3 rabbits, two are miniature lops (my countries equivalent to the holland lop) and a fuzzy lop who isn&#39;t so fuzzy now as I gave him a haircut yesterday. I have a blog on here somewhere with lots of pics but I don&#39;t think I have updated it in a while.

Is it strange sharing a rabbit with someone? Hopefully you never have to argue about what is best for him or anything.

Your animals in your avatar are adorable!! And I think lops of all kinds are the cutest. I mean, all bunnies are awesome, but I have a special place in my heart for lops.

No, there&#39;s no fighting involved. Seeing as how I&#39;m the one who bought everything for Chewie, and I&#39;m the one with the bunny experience, Keith pretty much goes along with whatever I say. ;) We&#39;ve been best friends for 10 years now, so we definitely have our own hierarchy, and I&#39;m top rabbit. Hehe.

I love the lops too, I used to think they were odd looking until I got one. Now I only seem to want lops! Nothing is more endearing than their little faces framed by those ears.

That&#39;s great with you and your friend, I almost had a similar situation with a male buddy of mine who suddenly decided he wanted a rabbit but wanted me to come and look after it for him, I talked him out of it because I know he didn&#39;t really want one. He just thought one at a pet store was cute and got carried away. He doesn&#39;t even really like rabbits :disgust: :craziness

Oh and thanks! I love my buns, I think they are the cutest things in the world like every bunny-mummy (or daddy!) thinks.

Hello, Danaii!! Welcome to Rabbits Only!

I just recently joined the lop-eared bun club, too...as of Sunday night. :) You can read the story here:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view<WBR>_topic.php?id=18031&forum<WBR>_id=6

Warning: it&#39;s a long one!

Anyway, your Chewie is so adorable!! He&#39;s got such a wonderful face...just wanna hug him!!

:inlove:

And yes, those lop ears just put a spell on ya, don&#39;t they? Wonderful!

Anyway, I look forward to hearing all about your boy and his various things he likes to do. Always feel free to post questions you might have! :D

Hugs!

Rosie*

Latest posts

Back