Introducing Rabbits-

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a male rabbit, and I am adopting a spayedfemale rabbit from the shelter this week. I am getting her as acompaion for George, so I would like to know if any of you have anyintroduction tips for me.

Oh yes, I am new:D. I live in the US, and love animals. I have 1 (soonto be 2) rabbits, 10 chinchillas, 1 bearded dragon, 3 dogs, and somefish. I also foster a horse at the Equine Rescue League named LookingGlass. I have included a picture of George. He's supposed to be a lopmix, but I'm not sure what he's mixed with.

Welcome to the forum, George The Rabbit.

George certainly is gorgeous. That face looks so innocent. I'd have ahard time not giving him everything his little heart desires.

We have many horse enthusiasts here, as well as other animal lovers.

There is a post in the top 4 called a Cheat Sheet for Rabbit Care. Inthere, there's a website regarding Bonding. I'm sure you'll find itinteresting.

One of the best ideas I've heard as to getting a companion for yourbunny is to take George in with you to the shelter, and introduce himto the bunnies up for adoption, one at a time.

Keep us posted on how the new mate works out.

Feel free to jump in anywhere you wish on the forum.

:)

-Carolyn

Thanks for the info. We are going to the shelterthis week, and so I think we will take him with us. We are only lookingto get a female, because someone told me that we will have a betterchance of a good intro, but we can look at the males too if Georgedoesn't seem to like any of the females that well. Here's the link tothe female that we are really interestedin (they have othersnot listed on the site, so we are going to look at them too)http://www.loudoun.gov/cgi-bin/animals/adopt/otherpost.plshe'sthe white rabbit- named Cleo. We'll see who George decided he wants;)

You're right, George's Mom. They do tend to get along better with theopposite sex, but even that's not always guaranteed. It's best tointroduce them in a mutual territory where 'every bun is consideredequal'.
Taking George along with you is a great way to see how he interactswith the others and it gives him a chance to pick his best gal. Twobucks don't usually do well.

Being in an area that's new to them both allows them to not get territorial with each other as they're both on mutual turf.

I'll check out Cleo's picture. I'm sure she's a beauty. Knowing they'refixed makes all the difference in the world. If Cleo and George kind ofignore each other and one doesn't go charging the other when they're inthe room, that's a good sign and can often be worked with in thebonding process to make it successful. You just have to dedicate sometime and patience and not be too fast in the steps to get them to be abonded pair.

Pamnock - one of the members we're so fortunate to have here, is anARBA (American Rabbit Breeders Association) Judge and she knows herrabbits probably better than she knows herself. She'll be able to takea gander at why breeds George is. I love mixed breeds. :)

-Carolyn

Cleo looks very beautiful. I am sure George will like her.:)

George does have a very innocent look on his face.

P.S.

Cleo is Precious!!! What a little Love! I'm sure that another of ourmembers: Dwarf_Angel04 can give you some pointers as well. She's a veryreputable and knowledgeable breeder and I was too fast to hit reply tosee what breed Cleo is, but I bet she's right up Dwarf_Angel04's alley.Do you know what breed she is?

:dude:

Latest posts

Back