Ingesting flamazine? GI Stasis (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshAndMaple

Reaction score
Maple's suffering from gut stasis at the moment - it came on in less than 24hrs and she's extremely bloated. She's at the vets as an inpatient and on fluids as well as being given critical care. They've taken an x-ray of her sitting in a normal position (no anaesthetic needed for that) and can't see any obstruction. Her blood glucose levels were high but they've come down a little. The vet doesn't understand why she's so bloated.

The only change in her diet/environment at all is that I'm applying flamazine to her feet for sore hocks - is that something that could cause issues if ingested?

I know pain can cause stasis in general, but she's suffered stasis once before and it came on much slower than this - plus I've given her three doses of loxicom and it's made no difference. Plus she had no poos getting smaller or anything. She ate breakfast yesterday as normal, then when I got back from work she ran up to see me, then she wouldn't come out to eat her nuggets and her stomach was making loud gurgling noises. I massaged her tummy and she produced one normal-looking poo. She hasn't been to the toilet since then and this morning she wouldn't let me touch her stomach much and it was hard. It's come on so fast I just don't understand it

Last edited:
Maple's suffering from gut stasis at the moment - it came on in less than 24hrs and she's extremely bloated. She's at the vets as an inpatient and on fluids as well as being given critical care. They've taken an x-ray of her sitting in a normal position (no anaesthetic needed for that) and can't see any obstruction. Her blood glucose levels were high but they've come down a little. The vet doesn't understand why she's so bloated.

The only change in her diet/environment at all is that I'm applying flamazine to her feet for sore hocks - is that something that could cause issues if ingested?

I know pain can cause stasis in general, but she's suffered stasis once before and it came on much slower than this - plus I've given her three doses of loxicom and it's made no difference. Plus she had no poos getting smaller or anything. She ate breakfast yesterday as normal, then when I got back from work she ran up to see me, then she wouldn't come out to eat her nuggets and her stomach was making loud gurgling noises. I massaged her tummy and she produced one normal-looking poo. She hasn't been to the toilet since then and this morning she wouldn't let me touch her stomach much and it was hard. It's come on so fast I just don't understand it
I had to have her put down. She had fluid buildup and probably an obstruction. Surgery would have been incredibly expensive and most likely unsuccessful. Euthanasia was the right thing to do but it's still horrible.

I'm so sorry 😞 Bloat is such a horrible thing. It's so extremely painful for them to go through, and it's rarely a good outcome even with surgery. It's an incredibly difficult decision you made, but a kind one not to prolong her suffering.

Oh no! Poor Maple, I'm so sorry to hear this.
I can't imagine if was the flamazine, if the vet prescribed it.
Give Ash lots of cuddles 💔

I had to have her put down. She had fluid buildup and probably an obstruction. Surgery would have been incredibly expensive and most likely unsuccessful. Euthanasia was the right thing to do but it's still horrible.
I’m so sorry for your loss! Making the right decision is always hard in such a circumstance as this but you did it for your bun whom you loved. Be kind to yourself as it was probably the best decision for your baby, it was a very unselfish decision!🤗🤗❤️‍🩹❤️‍🩹

I'm so sorry 😞 Bloat is such a horrible thing. It's so extremely painful for them to go through, and it's rarely a good outcome even with surgery. It's an incredibly difficult decision you made, but a kind one not to prolong her suffering.
Thank you ❤️ I'm utterly heartbroken as she only celebrated her first birthday a few weeks ago 😞 I keep expecting to see her little nose poking around the corner or have her come running up to me for head rubs 💔 it doesn't feel real at all.

Oh no! Poor Maple, I'm so sorry to hear this.
I can't imagine if was the flamazine, if the vet prescribed it.
Give Ash lots of cuddles 💔
Thank you, the vet prescribed it and I imagine they would have picked up on that if it was the reason. Ash is getting lots of cuddles ❤️ and I now have gorgeous baby Bluebell who is 5 months old - I planned on getting her spayed in October and then bonding her with Maple 😭💔 but she's a really happy, cheerful little ball of fluff and she's completely none-the-wiser to what's happened so her energy and excitement is helping me heal a bit 💙

Thank you, the vet prescribed it and I imagine they would have picked up on that if it was the reason. Ash is getting lots of cuddles ❤️ and I now have gorgeous baby Bluebell who is 5 months old - I planned on getting her spayed in October and then bonding her with Maple 😭💔 but she's a really happy, cheerful little ball of fluff and she's completely none-the-wiser to what's happened so her energy and excitement is helping me heal a bit 💙
Sadly Ash is still by himself (and I'm still not going to risk trying to neuter him again), and although he's a happy boy who enjoys my company, I think he can sense my grief and can tell that something bad has happened 😞 although I hated doing it, I'm glad I moved to a new house two weeks ago put him in a different room (so they had more space), otherwise I think it would have affected him much more. I used to take them to see each other sometimes which was sweet (at least until Ash would get a little too excited and I'd separate them before he could try and get it on with his sister 😬), so I don't think he realises she's gone 😞

Thank you ❤️ I'm still constantly questioning everything I did and worried that I didn't act soon enough 💔 she's seemed a bit down and grumpy recently - but she was eating and all her poos were normal. And she's been a bit grumpy before - I put it down to the house move and construction work on our new street. Plus I hadn't spent as much time as I'd have liked with her due to everything that was going on (which I massively regret now - although I did try to see her whenever I could) so I thought maybe she was moody with me. I was excited to move to this new house where she'd have so much more space to run around, and I'm heartbroken that she never got to enjoy all of it because I'm still bunny-proofing the other rooms 💔 I expected to have years if not another decade with her 🥺😞 She was binky-ing while I was getting her nuggets on Saturday night, and even up to a few hours before she refused to eat she came running out to see me 😞

I'm trying to comfort myself with the fact that even though she was clearly in pain and uncomfortable on Sunday night, she did keep coming to lie next to me and be comforted as I rubbed her head and kissed her fluffy forehead. She must have trusted me to look after her if she was prepared to lie next to me while she was so vulnerable. It's just so so so sad that she was only 1year and 3 weeks old 💔💔💔 and I don't know why it happened 😞
I’m so sorry for your loss! Making the right decision is always hard in such a circumstance as this but you did it for your bun whom you loved. Be kind to yourself as it was probably the best decision for your baby, it was a very unselfish decision!🤗🤗❤️‍🩹❤️‍🩹

Thank you ❤️ I miss her so so much - I can't believe I'll never get to hold her again or feel one of her nose boops 😭 I got her ashes back today but I feel so disconnected from it - I hold the box she's inside and I don't feel like she's there at all 💔
I'm so sorry for your loss, this whole experience must have been traumatizing but I personally believe you did what was best for her. I hope you don't mind me praying for you, binky free Maple

Thank you ❤️ I miss her so so much - I can't believe I'll never get to hold her again or feel one of her nose boops 😭 I got her ashes back today but I feel so disconnected from it - I hold the box she's inside and I don't feel like she's there at all 💔
That's just her body, like a shell. Everything that made her Maple is in a better place watching over you ❤️

Back