I'm considering adding a rabbit to the family

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's fine. I still want to get arabbit later after everything is settled and I'm living somewhere andhave the money. All the info right now is going straightthrough me to the humane society at my work because they have about 12rabbits for adoption right now and know little to nothing about them.

petstores, yes i agree. even the rats. they will not be "feeders" they will be "fancy" so no snake food there.

unless of course you can find someone you know.

Things have calmed down some. Themoving date is set for May 12th. I've found homes for all ofmy animals except the three rat babies, which I'll just keep if I can'tfind homes for them. They just won't get as much one-on-onetime with me. My roomate has decided she wants arabbit...lol. We checked petfinder and they have netherlanddwarfs for adoption in our area. This is good for me becausenow I can have a rabbit and she'll be paying for it.:bunnydance: We want to get this cage for him/her.

http://www.rabbitstop.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=60288&Category_Code=3SuperPetHabitats&Product_Count=6

Is that okay? Are males or females more loving? Are the netherland dwarfs crazy and won't let you hold them?

Congrats! And way to go foradopting! Rabbit personalities can be very different withdifferent individuals, even in the same breed. Same goes forgender, although I have heard that sometimes males are moreaffectionate. That doesn't mean that females aren'tnoserub-begging cuddlebuns though.;) Spay/neuter helps a lotbecause they're not ashormonal and frustrated.Netherland dwarfs do have a reputation for being energetic.But the majority of rabbits hate being held anyway. Ittriggers a fear instinct for them, because they are prey animals.

If you want to adopt a rabbit that matches your personality, talk tothe shelter staff and play with a number of different rabbits there tosee what they're like. And don't limit yourself to breedunless it's something you can't take care of well, like an angora thatneeds lots of grooming or a flemish giant that needs more space thanyou have. There's nothing wrong with wanting a specific breedlike Netherland dwarf, but it does limit your options when you'relooking for a rabbit whose personality matches yours.

As for the cage, you could do better. That's actually muchsmaller than the picture looks, and Ifindthosesmall doors annoying. Plus it'sbest if the rabbit can hop in and out of his cage when he's outplaying, so you'd need to build a ramp or steps. Have youlooked into dog crates or NIC cages? I made a 56 inch by 28inch NIC condo with a 14x56 inch shelf for about $60, and I usedrelatively expensive stuff for the floor. It could have beendone for less money. Or you could get a big dog crate for thesame price as that cage and put in a shelf yourself. Dogexercise pens can also work well if you put down something for a floorand your bunny can't jump out. Check this Bunny 101 threadfor more cage ideas and instructions:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11792&forum_id=17

And this thread has lots of examples of our members' cages:

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=1931&forum_id=1

I had thought about the cube cages.That's what I used for my guinea pigs. What do you use asshelves in your cage and how do you secure them? Theyabsolutely need shelves right? I just worry about the littlebaby hurting itself. How big do the NDs getfullgrown? The only reason I'm considering them is becausethere's a labrador rescue in town that has them for adoption and myroomate likes them better than any other. Ultimately(unfortunately) it's going to be her final decision. They hadthis one rabbit I would've gotten in a heartbeat from the shelter at mywork. She was so sweet and loved to be held like a baby on myhip...lol. She has a good home now though.

Latest posts

Back