If bunnies are social

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mollidy

Reaction score
I may just be ignorant, but in all the research I've read, bunnies are social. But they seem to be super-tough to bond and the process takes a lot of work. Why is that?

I'm only a recent bunny owner of 1 so I'm curious. There's a rabbit show next weekend and I might fall in love with another. But if it's so hard to bond them I don't think my husband wants to devote another space to a rabbit if they can't live together.

My current bunny has a run of 4'x8' and is allowed to explore the entire upstairs when I'm present. Is that run big enough for two?

Bunnies are also territorial. Creatures of prey in the wild, they must defend their territory. Until they know someone/somebunny is a friend and not foe, they will be defensive.

It's like how people can be social with other people in public, but you don't want to live with all of them, or come into your house if you don't know who they are.

Sometimes it comes down to personality and other times it just takes some time to get to know another bunny.

Yep. It often comes down to personality, so buns are going to be easier to bond than others. They are all individuals. And like Bo says while they are social, they are territorial too, and often don't like to be someone/bunny all the time. Just like you or me.

Each potential couple/trio etc. is different. as is each situation.

Latest posts

Back