I'd like everyone to meet Booboo. An 8wk old rescued cottontail rabbit.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweetysvoice

Reaction score
I would like everyone to meet Booboo.

She's an 8 week old Cottontail we've been raising since she was 3 days old, eyes and ears still closed and just a touch of fur.

Her story starts as many do, whereas my dogs found a rabbit's nest. None of the babies were visibly hurt so we put all five back into the nest. Blocked it off so the dogs could not access it and by the next morning four of the five babies had been moved by the mom. I worried that I interrupted her moving them by checking out the nest, so I left the last kit in the nest and put string over it to determine if the mother had returned. She did not. After about 36 hours I decided to bring her into the home so we could warm her up and get some food in her belly. Hubby and I have rescued and rehabed many different types of creatures. He works from home and I'm home all day too, so she had instant 24/7 parents. I know the difficulty of raising cottontails but had to give her a chance. It worked!

I had a neighbor donate cecotropes from her bunny and after a week I began using BeneBac. I fed her the goats milk, kmr, and heavy cream diet till she began eating greens on her own, at about 4wks old. I know diet is the main reason baby cottontails don't make it, but we pulled through with out a single funky poo.

She's lame on her right side. Front paw more so than the back, but its prob why mama left her. She can run like the wind when she gets into her Zoomies and happy hops, which occur at least 3xs a day. Her rear leg seems to be getting stronger but at this point she's bonded to both of us and is comfortable with cats and dogs smelling her through her cage. She'll not survive a day in our yard. Lots of strays as well as hawks and owls galore.

Interesting note about her name: my hubby named her and it couldn't have been more perfect. Our first houserabbit Boo passed away in 08 and we buried her in our back yard and a beautiful evergreen grew right on top. Called it Boo's tree. We moved years later and here at our new home an evergreen exactly like Boo's tree grew smack in the middle of our koi sitting area. We called it Boo's tree. It seems like all the neighborhood rabbits use it to birth under. We block it off from the dogs in the summer cuz, well... This is where Booboo comes in. They got in. Mana was smart to move them but left our little one behind. Hubby said that mama made a mistake by leaving her. She's gonna be the best Booboo ever! (His meaning: born under Boo's tree, it was a mistake (a booboo) she was left and our Boo's spirit knew we'd be the best chance at her survival). How sweet is that! I had to agree with the name choice.
Anyways. We've not hit any of the behaviors that I was warned about. She loves to cuddle and licks us, love nips, flops on her side and loves belly rubs

Video of her flopped in the crook of my arm wanting belly rubs. Not scared of us at all. She litteraly opened her eyes while I was holding her. We are all she knows. It so helps to keep a quiet and calm environment. She does watch cartoons all day though... Lol! I'm builing her a 5'x2'x3' hutch from an older chicken coop. She's growing fast so I need to quicken my pace.

Sorry for a long post. I've been lurking cuz there really isn't good info about cottontails as a pet. I think we're doing alright!

Attachments

• 20190812_075351~2.jpg
    20190812_075351~2.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 20190717_012314.jpg
    20190717_012314.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 50
  • 20190826_180031.jpg
    20190826_180031.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 54
  • 20190715_231853.jpg
    20190715_231853.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 20190710_171911.jpg
    20190710_171911.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 20190820_131102.jpg
    20190820_131102.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 20190811_162656.jpg
    20190811_162656.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 20190721_185531.jpg
    20190721_185531.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 48
First of all, welcome to the forum!

You are doing an excellent job at raising her! You did everything right and she's so lucky to have you and your husband. It seems you know a lot about raising baby bunnies. The only thing I'm concerned about though is whether it's legal to keep her. Have you looked into your local laws?

I am actually the neighborhood Zoo. I have raised puppies and kittens from days old, and have at one point my life had rabbits and guinea pigs and mice and rats and potbelly pigs and lots of lizards and reptiles. Animals are kind of my thing. LOL When I was younger our very first house rabbit had a litter about a month after we got her. Wasn't expecting her to be pregnant. Oddly enough she put all of her babies into her food bowl as soon as she gave birth. We realize that she was not feeding them so we took them all of the vet and found out that she had no nipples. So we hand raise most of those. I've always had some kind of baby I was raising here there over the years and to be honest rabbits are one of my favorite. I tend to obsess over all of my babies, so I read any forums and web pages before I come to my own plan as the best way to raise the baby is. It has worked so far. Thanks for all the kind words. Everyone on this forums seem so very nice and helpful. That's why I planted my feet here. So many other forums are nothing but "elitists" trying to put everybody down because they're somehow better. I have never seen that here oh, so that's why I decided to go ahead and post my introduction and say hi :)

Wonderful for you. Your story is similar to ours, except you seem to have spent more time with Booboo than we did with our Bun-Bun cottontail. He was always a bit skitterish. I figured it was because we let him roam free and only handled him at feeding time.

When he grew to adulthood we turned him loose in our yard. That's when we went out and adopted the rescues pictured in my avatar. I still miss Bun-Bun and always will; but, we did the right thing for him.

Very cute! What a lucky rabbit to have your around. If you are going to have problems with him, I imagine that will happen when his hormones kick in. I know of someone who had a cottontail for 8 years. He wasn't the greatest pet, but they really enjoyed him. As he got older, he would not allow them to hold him. To cut his nails, they would put him in a wire bottom cage, and cut his nails from underneath when they stick out of the bottom of the cage.

To cut his nails, they would put him in a wire bottom cage, and cut his nails from underneath when they stick out of the bottom of the cage.

That's brilliant! Gonna have to remember that!

She's not thrilled with carrying her around but we can pick her up from cage to floor when she's begging to get out for her early morning run and same in the late evening. Much like a couple of our cats, we are not concerned with her not liking to be carried around. Just enough to move her is ok. She comes to cuddle with us all on her own. Have a mattress on the floor that's been designated as our chill corner. She's so adorable with how many binkies she does when let out!

She is so alert, lively and faaaaast!! I love how she was grooming you too when in the crook of your arm, how adorable! You did such an awesome job with her! And I really hope that I will never stumble upon a stranded cottontail baby rabbit because I know no rabbit I can 'borrow' the cecotropes from. You're not only a bunny whisperer, you're a very lucky one!

Back