I Would like a Rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nixie1990

Reaction score
Hi guys
Im new

I am looking into buying a rabbit :)

I want a small rabbit, like a lionhead size. But while Ive been googling, Ive come across things like lionlop (are they the same size as a lionhead?) And Dwarf/mini ...... (insert breed here) Are dwarf and minis small like Lionheads or can they still be big?
Also what about dutch rabbits? In pictures they look quite small?

What breeds can I look at that are small?

Also, any tips/general advice on things I need to know?
Im having a good look through this forum and the internet, also going to buy a rabbit book before I buy :)

Mini Breeds vary in size like any other breeds, you've got the smaller breeds like Polish, Netherland Dwarfs, Jersey Woolys, and LionHeads. Then you've got the larger "Mini Breeds" like the Mini Rex, Holland Lops, Dutch, Mini Satins and Thriantas. All the breeds I listed above usually have nice temperaments and make very good pets. Here's a list of different breeds: http://www.arba.net/breeds.htm

I my family and I raise Mini Rex, Jersey Woolys and Holland Lops. They're all very nice tempered and are awesome as pets.

Don't just settle on a bunny because that's the only one available in that breed that you choose, ect., if you wait a little while you can usually find exactly the kind of rabbit you're looking for.

I personally would not suggest any wooled breeds if this is your first rabbit, they're a little harder to care for because of their wool. There are "easy care" lines which is what I prefer because I only need to groom every 2-4 weeks. They also do not do as well in hot weather.

If you have any more questions feel free to email me at [email protected] I love to help out people new to rabbits. :)

Our rabbits range in size from 2 to 18 pounds. Our two Dutches are both 7 pounders, so not the smallest. We usually tell people to check out a shelter--you can assess the temperament better and maybe get one that's already been neutered.

Tinkerbell Rabbitry wrote:
Mini Breeds vary in size like any other breeds, you've got the smaller breeds like Polish, Netherland Dwarfs, Jersey Woolys, and LionHeads. Then you've got the larger "Mini Breeds" like the Mini Rex, Holland Lops, Dutch, Mini Satins and Thriantas. All the breeds I listed above usually have nice temperaments and make very good pets. Here's a list of different breeds: http://www.arba.net/breeds.htm

I my family and I raise Mini Rex, Jersey Woolys and Holland Lops. They're all very nice tempered and are awesome as pets.

Don't just settle on a bunny because that's the only one available in that breed that you choose, ect., if you wait a little while you can usually find exactly the kind of rabbit you're looking for.

I personally would not suggest any wooled breeds if this is your first rabbit, they're a little harder to care for because of their wool. There are "easy care" lines which is what I prefer because I only need to groom every 2-4 weeks. They also do not do as well in hot weather.

If you have any more questions feel free to email me at [email protected] I love to help out people new to rabbits. :)
100% agreement on this post. Excellent advise Tinkerbell for any person getting into rabbits.

As much as I love Lion Heads, I didn't get one first thing because I knew nothing about rabbits. Getting an "easy care" is an excellent first rabbits for me. Now that I know lots about rabbits, thanks to my boys, I now am looking into what I desired from the start.

Holland Lops are the sweetest breed for first time owners. Just one thing to look out for is the ears. Do have to be careful regarding ears, making sure all is healthy and clean.

Netherlands are sweet as well. Willard is an Angel. My Polish (Kreacher) is very tempermental but I am finding out with all the work I've done with him, that he's the one that loves to snuggle and sit with me. And Dobby, my Sable Marten, my biggest rabbit (hitting 4 lbs) is the most laid back bunny I've ever met. Since he's been neutered, he's such a pleasure.

Wishing you all the luck with finding your bunny. They are awesome pets but remember it does take time to win your bunny over. But IMHO, that's the fun of it all.

Keep us posted on when you find the bunny for you.

K :)

Went to the pet shop today, just to look, see what types i like.
They had a 'lemon and white dutch' which i really like, it was small but a baby so i don't know how big it would make.

Thanks for advice regarding lion head, is it just the coat that makes them more difficult?

nixie1990 wrote:
Went to the pet shop today, just to look, see what types i like.
They had a 'lemon and white dutch' which i really like, it was small but a baby so i don't know how big it would make.

Thanks for advice regarding lion head, is it just the coat that makes them more difficult?

Dutch are excellent small rabbits. They get no bigger than 4 lbs.

Yes, it is the coat that makes a Lion Head difficult. Just like an Angora, Lion heads from babies need their coats brush because of knots and tangles. Need lots of grooming because the coat also makes the bunny.

Easier to go with an "easy keeper" like the Dutch you found when first starting out with bunnies. Still have to groom, but it's not detrimental to the rabbit's health if you don't do it all the time. With Lion Heads and Angoras, it can be very unhealthy for them not to be groomed properly.

K :)

The maximum weight for a Dutch rabbit according to arba(taken fro the link given earlier) is 5 1/2 lbs. if that's not too big for you they really are great pet rabbits which is why they are often seen in pet stores. Mismarked babies are easily noticed and can be found homes by the time of weaning age.

I will suggest looking into getting a shelter bunny. The price is usually great since they come fixed, and you can tell the temperment and size since you can get a grown bunny.

I would suggest trying to setup an enclosure before selecting a bun. It is good to get an idea of the space needed, plus you might find you have room for a slightly bigger bun. Hope you find that perfect bun.

Latest posts

Back